Here's my workflow. Any suggestons?

Started by AsherVast, May 09, 2014, 01:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsherVast

First of all, I'm a windows User and I don't own a Mac. That being said, I have a workflow for PC that seems to be pretty solid  but I would like to challenge anyone to make suggestions for either improving the quality or shortening the workflow process. We shoot on a 5DMK3 loaded with the most recent nightly build of Magic Lantern.  Here's our workflow:

Step 1: Use Rawanizer to extract the DNGs from the RAW files.
Step 2: Load the DNGs into Davinci Resolve for color correction
Step 3: Add Quicktime DNXHD 444 export of the sequence to the queue as the Online version.
Step 4: Add Quicktime H264 export of the sequence to the queue as the Offline version.
Step 5: Render and wait for about 3-4 hours for both exports to complete.
Step 6: Import and edit the Offline files in Premiere.
Step 7: Colorgrade In Premiere using Magic Bullet Looks
Step 8: Replace the offline files with the DNXHD 444 Online files.
Step 9: Export the final version from Premiere using Quicktime DNXHD 10b.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

reddeercity

Well this is a long workflow, Since you are on a PC you can be editing in a few steps.
Convert the MLV+audio with raw2Cdng (v1.5.0 Beta3) Link ---> http://dl.phreekz.de/raw2cdng/raw2cdng.1.5.0.beta3.zip
use 16bit maximized cdng's, open up in Premiere Pro CC (compliant no pink frames or hi-lights) from there you can dynamic link to Speed grade of A.E. or you can take the EDL/XML from Premiere Pro and work in resolve etc...   ;D

AsherVast

I'm a bit fuzzy on the round trip function using the EDM and XML files. I use After Effects and Magic Bullet looks a lot in Premiere. When exporting the XML and EDM files from Premiere, will my work in AE and Magic Bullet show up in Resolve or am I stuck to using Speedgrade to use those functions?

reddeercity

Quote from: AsherVast on May 09, 2014, 06:42:43 PM
I'm a bit fuzzy on the round trip function using the EDM and XML files. I use After Effects and Magic Bullet looks a lot in Premiere. When exporting the XML and EDM files from Premiere, will my work in AE and Magic Bullet show up in Resolve or am I stuck to using Speedgrade to use those functions?
Only if you have the plugin for resolve (not sure if there is one), so more than likely speed grade.  Is the only reason for Resolve is to make video files or do you grade in there also ?
You Can also import Cdng's or Dng's in to A.E. pre-grade "Magic Bullet looks" save as an A.E. Project then import that in to Premiere Pro by dynamic link.