Shutter Speed Readings

Started by ImagineFlight, May 10, 2014, 12:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImagineFlight

I've searched everywhere. I'm sure everyone says that though.

Traditionally, I've been using ML 2.3 with the most recent RAW module plugin for my 50D supplied from here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.0

I always shoot my Photo and Video in Manual. Always.

I decided to try the most recent nightly build and was thrilled to find that RAW Video capability was built into the ML firmware! The new font is shiny too.

I was not thrilled to find seemingly different and frustrating shutter speed options. The top of my camera currently reads at 1/50, (as I shoot at 23.976 fps for the extra resolution, so 1/50 fills the 180° rule), and when taking a photo, the exposure is always correct as I adjust through ND filters and aperture / ISO settings.

BUT in Live View it reads a completely different shutter speed and the Live View picture is whitewashed when shooting outdoors, (even though photographs I take with the same settings are exposed correctly). For example, the camera is set to 1/50, but in live view it will read as 1/92 (or any number it would like to). In fact, even when I adjust my aperture I've found that this number changes. I'm not certain of how my frames are being exposed. I also get confusing readings within the ML menu, like "1/92, 94°." When this value is changed within Magic Lantern, my photo settings change on the top of my camera as well. It also appears to loop around through settings when I rotate my click wheel far enough.

All in all, I would like some help in setting an accurate solid shutter speed for 23.976 fps raw video recording, and an understanding of what these units represent. Do I follow what's on my camera's top display or what ML tells me?

Regards and much thanks, ImagineFlight
Imagine Flight Media House

OSCA LEE

Quote from: ImagineFlight on May 10, 2014, 12:31:31 AM
I've searched everywhere. I'm sure everyone says that though.

Traditionally, I've been using ML 2.3 with the most recent RAW module plugin for my 50D supplied from here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.0

I always shoot my Photo and Video in Manual. Always.

I decided to try the most recent nightly build and was thrilled to find that RAW Video capability was built into the ML firmware! The new font is shiny too.

I was not thrilled to find seemingly different and frustrating shutter speed options. The top of my camera currently reads at 1/50, (as I shoot at 23.976 fps for the extra resolution, so 1/50 fills the 180° rule), and when taking a photo, the exposure is always correct as I adjust through ND filters and aperture / ISO settings.

BUT in Live View it reads a completely different shutter speed and the Live View picture is whitewashed when shooting outdoors, (even though photographs I take with the same settings are exposed correctly). For example, the camera is set to 1/50, but in live view it will read as 1/92 (or any number it would like to). In fact, even when I adjust my aperture I've found that this number changes. I'm not certain of how my frames are being exposed. I also get confusing readings within the ML menu, like "1/92, 94°." When this value is changed within Magic Lantern, my photo settings change on the top of my camera as well. It also appears to loop around through settings when I rotate my click wheel far enough.

All in all, I would like some help in setting an accurate solid shutter speed for 23.976 fps raw video recording, and an understanding of what these units represent. Do I follow what's on my camera's top display or what ML tells me?

Regards and much thanks, ImagineFlight

I have noticed the same thing