7D and the SanDisk 160 Mb/s

Started by windh, April 25, 2014, 01:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windh

Hi peeps.

Fairly new to the RAW family.

I have one SanDisk 32 Gb @ 60 and another 16 Gb @ 90.

When shooting with my 90 at 1792 res I can only get a few seconds of footage, then it beeps 5 times and I get a message saying "early stop ( 8 ). this is a bug. please report..."

Guessing this is because the card is too slow?

Strange, because on my 60 card I could shoot continously more or less, but getting pink frames every now and then when looking at the footage..

So, if I'm correct in that it is speed related, how will the SanDisk 160Mb/s work out on the 7D?

Kind Regards

Windh

EDIT: Just tried switching back to my 60 Mb/s card, and now it won't even record for one second before beeping out... Hmmm..

EDIT 2: Oooops...  Found out that in the Canon menu it was set to RAW+Jpg Large.. Changing it to just RAW made it record again for about 10 secs on my 60 card, then beeping out.

windh

So, other than limited recording time to roughly 10 secs, I get some frames like this:

windh

Anyone? Any experience from this card?

Is it my current card that makes the shot stop after 10 secs and produces the pink artifacts?

hoganmw

...buy better card.  160Mb/s is nothing and recording with this card is a suicide  !!!!  Do you see difference between Mb vs MB ?

poromaa

Quote from: hoganmw on April 26, 2014, 12:52:14 PM
...buy better card.  160Mb/s is nothing and recording with this card is a suicide  !!!!  Do you see difference between Mb vs MB ?

?
@windh
I have the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 160MB/s (1067x). This card is very fast but the 160MB/s is the read-speed. Actual write speed is around 150MB/s. The card has the VPG65 logo (Video Performance Guaranteed), which means that the card will always deliver write speeds above 65MB/s! In reality the card writes at around 70MB/s in my 5D2. In my USB3 card-reader it delivers the promised 150MB/s write speed. I think this card is very stable and I would definitely recommend it if you have the money.

Walter Schulz

poromaa

:) oh. trolling. I see. Usually I prefer Mbit to keep them apart :)

windh

Quote from: poromaa on April 26, 2014, 10:14:25 PM
?
@windh
I have the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 160MB/s (1067x). This card is very fast but the 160MB/s is the read-speed. Actual write speed is around 150MB/s. The card has the VPG65 logo (Video Performance Guaranteed), which means that the card will always deliver write speeds above 65MB/s! In reality the card writes at around 70MB/s in my 5D2. In my USB3 card-reader it delivers the promised 150MB/s write speed. I think this card is very stable and I would definitely recommend it if you have the money.

Thanks for your reply poromaa.

Do you believe that my limited recording time and the pink frames are due to a too slow card?

I will probably invest in a SD 160 32GB then!

As for the non-constructive trolls: cheers. 

hog120

I use the sandisk extreme pro 160mb/s on a Mark II, and it works fine.

windh

Quote from: hog120 on April 28, 2014, 12:22:58 PM
I use the sandisk extreme pro 160mb/s on a Mark II, and it works fine.

Ok, thanks!

I'd really love to hear from someone shooting raw on the 7D.

aace

I shoot with the 7D, ML raw etc. I use (3) transcend 64GB (1000x) CF cards and they work almost perfectly. There are a few hick-ups here and there but when I hit record, I capture every frame without those magenta errors. On my older transcend cards, 32GB (400x), I had those problems all the time. I've even ran into a problem where it would drop a frame and keep recording without stopping. When I saw how unreliable those cards were for raw video I looked around the forums and found that the Mark III shoots raw 1080p with no problems. So I invested in the 1000x cards.

I don't know much about converting (400x or 1000x) to (mb/s or MB/s) but on the amazon page I bought my cards from shows that the 1000x writes at 120MB/s and reads at 160MB/s.

windh

Quote from: aace on April 30, 2014, 02:20:33 PM
I shoot with the 7D, ML raw etc. I use (3) transcend 64GB (1000x) CF cards and they work almost perfectly. There are a few hick-ups here and there but when I hit record, I capture every frame without those magenta errors. On my older transcend cards, 32GB (400x), I had those problems all the time. I've even ran into a problem where it would drop a frame and keep recording without stopping. When I saw how unreliable those cards were for raw video I looked around the forums and found that the Mark III shoots raw 1080p with no problems. So I invested in the 1000x cards.

I don't know much about converting (400x or 1000x) to (mb/s or MB/s) but on the amazon page I bought my cards from shows that the 1000x writes at 120MB/s and reads at 160MB/s.

Thanks Aace. Looks like those magenta frames are CF-speed related then.

Speeds one the SanDisk site are:

Transfer speeds of up to 160MB/s
Shot speeds up to 150MB/s

So I'll go with the SD 32GB one.

poromaa

you won't get dissapointed. 8)

edit: maybe you just did ! sorry

windh

OK, so I got my 160 card today.

Went out to shoot some tests and the performance seems better. I did not get any aborted shots.

However, I still do get some occasional "pink frames"..

Does anyone have a clue here?  I downloaded the latest Nightly Build for the 7D for my new card.

poromaa

I have done hard testing on my card on several builds from february to today and had no problems, however I have 5D2, and a different build firmware than you. So its hard to say.

Just a thought - have you tried turning all global draws off and also chose preview: canon (not any preview that uses filters, like the pixely-grayish one).

Also try the different settings in the canon menu regarding video-mode. On my 5D I can choose NTSC or PAL. If I choose PAL and 24fps i get better performance than NTSC 30fps and fps-override: 23.973.
Its like i get some vertical sync problems when using the latter, and once (have not been able to reproduce) I got a magenta bar at the top of the frame.

Also make sure you are not zooming or anything while recording. (there is a setting that turns on 5x zoom if touching the focus ring - turn that off - its of by default though).

If you can find what makes the error you can at least report it.
good luck

windh

Quote from: poromaa on May 08, 2014, 12:06:02 AM
I have done hard testing on my card on several builds from february to today and had no problems, however I have 5D2, and a different build firmware than you. So its hard to say.

Just a thought - have you tried turning all global draws off and also chose preview: canon (not any preview that uses filters, like the pixely-grayish one).

Also try the different settings in the canon menu regarding video-mode. On my 5D I can choose NTSC or PAL. If I choose PAL and 24fps i get better performance than NTSC 30fps and fps-override: 23.973.
Its like i get some vertical sync problems when using the latter, and once (have not been able to reproduce) I got a magenta bar at the top of the frame.

Also make sure you are not zooming or anything while recording. (there is a setting that turns on 5x zoom if touching the focus ring - turn that off - its of by default though).

good luck

Many thanks for your suggestions.. I'll try them out..

A few things:

How do I chose "preview: canon"? I cannot find that in any ML-menu.

On the 7D, even though if I chose "PAL" 24 fps, ML indicates that this still is 23.976 fps override... Not sure why. I always thought that the PAL "version" of 24p really was 24 fps, and that NTSC-24p was 23.976.

Testing goes on!

squidman90

is there a way you can test your actually write speed of CF card? is it under that "benchmark" option in lateen. It says test read/write of card. When i run the test it comes up with multiple write speeds listed which one is the actual speed as it all has different buffer sizes. thanks matt

StefanKeller.AC

for some folks here it should be better to edit the topic  :D
SanDisk 32 GB 160 MB/s works as fine on my 7D as Lexar 32GB 1000x, both are faster than the 7D

windh

good luck

It seems that turning off all Global Draws fixed it! Many thanks!

However, this means that it's not fully funcional with raw, at least on my 7D.

Where do I report these findings?

Once again, many thanks!

poromaa

Any bugs may be reported here:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues?status=new&status=open

However, before you proceed make sure you can easily replicated the error. Provide a step by step instruction on how to replicate the error so that the developers can see what you see.

Also provide camera model, build (date/serial number) and module etc.

a1ex

there is a setting that turns on 5x zoom if touching the focus ring - turn that off

It should not trigger automatically while recording. If it does, it's a bug. I just checked the code and it should not trigger while recording.

poromaa

Quote from: a1ex on May 12, 2014, 08:47:44 AM
It should not trigger automatically while recording.

That is correct. Just tested and it works as intended, so no bug here :)

windh

Quote from: poromaa on May 12, 2014, 08:34:39 AM
Any bugs may be reported here:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues?status=new&status=open

However, before you proceed make sure you can easily replicated the error. Provide a step by step instruction on how to replicate the error so that the developers can see what you see.

Also provide camera model, build (date/serial number) and module etc.

will do!

Thanks!

hog120

hog120

My guess is that if you're getting pink frames, you've maxed out your cameras CMOS/processing power/buffer for that particular resolution.  It's not the cards fault most likely.  On my 5D Mark III that same card will shoot 1920*1080 RAW with no pink frames.  If I push my Mark II too far in resolution, like 1920x1080, with that same card, I will get those pink frames