Woodpeckers, shot with EOS-M and minolta glass.

Started by Marc Griffith, April 09, 2014, 09:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Griffith

Hey everyone, long time lurker here.

I used two EOS-M bodies loaded with Tragic Lantern. Along with some nice old Minolta MC and MD glass.

Rotating timelapse was done with an old surveyors theodolite, a stepper motor and arduino.

CBR 1.4,    Technicolor cinestyle picture style. Audio was recorded with a lav mic tucked under the bark. Transcend 64G 600x cards.

The other videos on my channel are also shot with the eos-m, they have commentary and are not quite as 'arty'.

I am attempting to go solo as a wildlife videographer, please comments and questions are welcome.

A big thank you to all the developers. I really love the work that you are doing here.

dfort

Nice use of the EOS M. I like that you can mount so many different lenses on it, it is easy to own more than one body and of course many of Magic Lantern features are working. I take it you already discovered 3x crop mode? Have you rigged up a camera trap or are you very, very patient? I'm working on an external battery to make up for the short battery life, that should make an EOS M multi-day camera trap feasible.

Looks like you got a good start with your three nature videos.

So how is life in Ecuador?

Marc Griffith

Cheers,

Yes to the crop mode, however I am not using it in these shots.

Its a mix of patience and brute force, I can get about 2.5 hours out of one card and that is with changing the battery once mid way through. turning the lcd off once recording helps a lot. I found that the original canon batteries last a lot longer than the clones. (actually the clones shut down too fast and the filesystem often gets corrupted).
I am pretty happy with the life of the batteries, maybe its a lot longer with a dumb lens on.

Patience is for going through the footage afterwards, but mostly it is fun. For this I would love some sort of motion detection software that could be run on a video clip.

I've made an IR trap for photographing hummingbirds in the past, and I have used the CHDK motion detection. But in this situation I would rather have the recording starting before the bird arrives.

It is still something I want to do, I was thinking an arduino based trigger with a nice bright ir led that can start multiple cameras recording at once. Then leave that out in the jungle for a few days.  I assume motion detection for video does not work?

Ecuador is great, a bitch to get equipment here but still awesome.