does anyone have a chart of which cameras share common sensors?

Started by coremelt, December 04, 2014, 04:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coremelt

Hi, develop Coremelt plugins for Final Cut Pro and we have settings for rolling shutter reduction for most Canon models.  We were hoping to find information on which cameras share the same CMOS sensor including chip type and size.  Eg I believe the 5DMarkIII and the 6D share the same sensor.  Any others you can tell me about?

All information appreciated.

coremelt

thanks that is very handy but hasn't been updated for latest such as 7DmkII

does it share the cmos sensor and size of frame with any other Canon camera?

Walter Schulz

I'm not sure what you mean with "size of frame". Format is APS-C, canon-style. And I bet it's sensor wasn't used yet in any other Canon cam.

chmee

as some guys in other forums said, canon never used a sensor twice in different bodies. some are quite similar. fi an 18mpix-sensor first built into the 7D (~18Mpix crop1.6) was used later on in all crop-bodies until 70d. but it wasnt the same. so, if you figured out a good algorithm against rolling shutter, its results should differ on 7d and 550d. and its quite strange to say, 5DIII and 6D have "the same" sensor - different resolutions on same size..

maybe you mean something like readout-circuitry..

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Audionut

5D3 and 6D have a different pixel pitch, so they most defiantly do not have the same sensor.

coremelt

in our previous tests 550d and 7d had the same algorithm for rolling shutter work well on both.  Sounds like that won't be the case for 5DmkIII and 6D.  Bummer, means more grids for us to shoot.