luts support for raw?

Started by boogotti84, November 02, 2013, 07:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boogotti84

ls it possible for a Lut to be supported for raw recording?

painya

IF you can open in without a pink cast then there should be no problem.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

boogotti84

as in apply a log lut to raw images as recording?

painya

Pretty sure you have to do it in post. Are you referring to a picture style?

CinematicSyndicate

To the best of my understanding, applying a LUT to the raw while recording not only isn't possible, but contradicts the idea of recording in RAW altogether. Are you looking to "pre-grade" your footage so you don't have to color grade? Or are you trying to preview certain "looks" (like the RED cams are capable of) while shooting? For RAW, a LUT would just be modifying the metadata to show a different rendering based on said LUT.

The purpose of raw is to give the most information to you in post so you can make more educated decisions on a bigger monitor while finishing your video. When you record regular .CR2 photographs with the camera, each and every one contains an embedded JPEG rendering of the RAW using the current Canon Picture Profile you have applied - which is why, when you are viewing or processing RAW, you will see an image that looks higher contrast first and foremost - then the RAW will render after the debayering and such is complete.

So, if all you want to do is look at your footage in a pre-graded fashion, you should use a custom Picture Profile that you either make yourself or download such as Technicolor (CineStyle), Marvel's, or Canon-X profile. The Canon profiles also yield typicaly higher contrast and saturation, giving a more accurate look of what graded footage could look like when finished. Does that make sense?

boogotti84

hey CinematicSyndicate thanks for your respons,
maybe this is a workflow question.
Because i want my footage to come out in log space to apply a film log lut, when i use a log film lut on a raw files, it comes out weird, even when i apply an rgb lut to log then a film lut after. it doesn't look right.
Not sure if im doing the right thing for the raw file processing?

CinematicSyndicate

That makes more sense now...how are you processing your .RAWs? And where are you applying LUTs (in what program)? Can you post screengrabs of your results when you apply the LOG FILM looks?

boogotti84

Quote from: CinematicSyndicate on November 04, 2013, 07:25:30 PM
That makes more sense now...how are you processing your .RAWs? And where are you applying LUTs (in what program)? Can you post screengrabs of your results when you apply the LOG FILM looks?

im using resolve to grade, using a film lut to grade. but the problem is the film lut is in log space. is there a correct lut i can use to get my raw footage into correct log space in resolve?
thanks in advance

painya

Use raw2cdng. Choose 10 bit log. You lose a lot, but you got to do what you got to do sometimes. Hope that helped.