Zacuto Z-finder Loupe + Focus Peaking

Started by dancook, March 26, 2014, 04:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dancook

I used my manual focus lens and ML's focus peaking to a great extent on friday night and I'm happy with the results.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62198876@N02/sets/72157642729053605/

I wonder whether the Zacuto Z-finder Loupe would help even more? I do actually wish I had an EVF like the Sony A7R.

Has anyone feedback about using the loupe?

cheers

dubzeebass

Save your money and get this: http://kamerar.com/products/qv-1-lcd-view-finder

I use it all the time with my manual lenses for both video and photography, it is solid and well-built!

Canon eos m

I love my Zacuto EFV and loupe. The 5D3 LCD sucks! The only way to get any real juice off the screen is to use the Zacuto.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Canon eos m

Quote from: Canon eos m on March 26, 2014, 05:02:06 PM
I love my Zacuto EFV and loupe. The 5D3 LCD sucks! The only way to get any real juice off the screen is to use the Zacuto.

Edit: Zacuto alternates are just loupes and do not have an EVF. If it is just the loupe you are after, I guess any loupe should do the job.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

dancook

Quote from: Canon eos m on March 26, 2014, 05:02:06 PM

Are you suggesting a loupe with the 5d3 would not be good? as mentioned the loupe is not an EVF in itself.

I wonder if the EVF attachment would be cumbersome.

also looks like if I did something like this, I would need it to work with a grip

I'm going to talk myself into a Sony A7R sooner than I think... hah

Canon eos m

I would think so too. The EVF is cumbersome - you will need a cage if you want to use the EVF with the camera and an extra external mic and so on. Good cages are not cheap. The best is the wooden camera cage - petit and solid. Then you will need the smaller accessories like hotshoes and mounting arms. By the time you are done, you will have a war horse in hand but depends if you plan to be using it in the war front or home front. Professionals will benefit from this set up since the EVF provides an additional point of contact with the body and hence more stability. Plus, this setup is great when facing the sunny glare or not wanting to show the world what you are shooting.

All in all, it boils down to personal preference. If given a chance to go back in time, I would maybe buy the Sony 7R too. I have a friend who shoots professional photos and was using the Fuji 100s for his regular work. He bought the 7R and was blown over. The blacks look really black and not pseudo blacks as in most other cameras - he shoots only square and only black and white and is mostly on AV mode - doesn't care much for ISO and all.

But, if you are after manual focussing in style with unparalleled clarity on a 3.2 inch LCD, the Zacuto has no match.

The choice is yours my friend - exercise it one way or the other.

dancook

Thanks, I'll ponder it some more.

having just got paid - I'm battling with the idea of buying an A7R - I've saving for the 200mm f2.. so think happy thoughts :D

Canon eos m

Me too. I just got some bonus and am caught between the steaicam arm west ( I already have the glidecam 2000) and a Canon 70-200mm f2.8 or a Canon 16-35mm. Wonder what I will end up with  :)