Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddeercity

@snefferdy, you Can Not Load  Raw Version 1.0 ( Original ) and MLV Sound Version 2.0  at the same time .
You must keep MLV Ver.2.0 together .
Either run Raw or MLV modules , If you want Raw Video with sound them just load 5d2_212.sys, file_man.mo, mlv_rec.mo, mlv_snd.mo that it and try and see if you still have problems.
Look at your screen shots and it clearly show you trying to Load .Raw and .mvl sound , version 1.0 dose not have sound support just MLV that it.

Walter Schulz

Actually you can load all the modules at the same time.

But it doesn't make that much sense, IMO.

snefferdy

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 06, 2015, 10:29:59 PM
Try this and report back:
Prefs  tab -> Config files -> Restore ML defaults.
Shutdown cam
Remove battery
Insert battery
Startup cam
Enable MLV_REC.mo and MLV_SND.mo
Restart cam

That worked Walter! Thanks!

Quote from: reddeercity on March 06, 2015, 10:30:13 PM
@snefferdy, you Can Not Load  Raw Version 1.0 ( Original ) and MLV Sound Version 2.0  at the same time .
You must keep MLV Ver.2.0 together .
Either run Raw or MLV modules , If you want Raw Video with sound them just load 5d2_212.sys, file_man.mo, mlv_rec.mo, mlv_snd.mo that it and try and see if you still have problems.
Look at your screen shots and it clearly show you trying to Load .Raw and .mvl sound , version 1.0 dose not have sound support just MLV that it.

I had trouble loading mlv_snd.mo even when I hadn't tried to load raw_rec.mo (see the screen shot where I had just tried to load mlv_snd.mo by itself).

___

As a separate question for you both, is there detailed info anywhere about what each module does? If I don't need sound, is there any advantage to using raw_rec.mo?

reddeercity

If I don't need sound, is there any advantage to using raw_rec.mo?
Yes very much so ! Because MLV ver. 2.0 has Metadata, TC, Audio etc.. it's comes at a Cost .
That cost in the form of Write Band Width , even thou it's only maybe 2-4MB/s  that's enough to reduce frame resolution .
e.g. with MLV & Sound the max write speed is 68-71 MB/s = (1872*936 older build) or (1856*928 Latest build) @ 23.976p Continuous (64GB Full)  in non crop mode with at least a 1000x CF Card
Where as Raw ver 1.0 in non crop max. write speed jumps up to 76.4 MB/S = 1880x1016 23.976p Continuous
and in 3X Crop Mode with ver. 1.0 = 1920*1038 23.976p 79.9 MB/s, 2048*930 23.976p 78.6 MB/s Continuous & 2048*1024 for about 52 [email protected]/s

For MLV in 3X crop mode the max continuous resolution is 2048*872.
The CF card controller band width is limited to about 84MB/s unlike the 5D3 which I think is about 95-100+MB/s

tool

Quote from: reddeercity on March 07, 2015, 12:42:40 AM
with MLV & Sound the max write speed is 68-71 MB/s = (1872*936 older build) or (1856*928 Latest build) @ 23.976p Continuous (64GB Full)  in non crop mode with at least a 1000x CF Card
Where as Raw ver 1.0 in non crop max. write speed jumps up to 76.4 MB/S = 1880x1016 23.976p Continuous
and in 3X Crop Mode with ver. 1.0 = 1920*1038 23.976p 79.9 MB/s, 2048*930 23.976p 78.6 MB/s Continuous & 2048*1024 for about 52 [email protected]/s

Just tried RAW 1.0 and confirmed this, is much faster and same values with Komputerbay 1066x 128gb

One question, long time without a electronic aperture. While recording is not possible to change the Aperture or Shutter speed no?

snefferdy

Quote from: tool on March 07, 2015, 08:48:55 PM
Just tried RAW 1.0 and confirmed this, is much faster and same values with Komputerbay 1066x 128gb

One question, long time without a electronic aperture. While recording is not possible to change the Aperture or Shutter speed no?

You can change both the aperture and the shutter speed while recording video, but it jumps between stops. (You can't achieve a smooth and gradual change in exposure.)

syndr0me

Hello everyone,
I have a canon eos 5d mark 2 and I was wondering if I can go beyond the nine shots the HDR bracketing
Visit my website: http://nka.it/

gtsofilms

Sorry to post again,  I tried using the build that reddeercity posted, I believe it's the 2014 Feb/March raw 2.0 build and I still get the pink cast over the color preview when I'm in crop mode and the framing is not correct.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  The preview option is auto. 

I only get correct framing when I switch to Global Draw. I've got a picture but I'm not sure how to post it on the forum. APpreciate the help!
5D2 + Other Stuff :)
https://vimeo.com/chester112

reddeercity

@gtsofilms I did some checking in this  Preview issue in 3x Crop mode.
As I said full color preview with proper framing work ok with MLV 2.0 & Raw 1.0
Now as I thought the color preview work ok while recording mlv raw video is not so there is  pink cast preview but still fine until you start recording.
This is not the case with Raw 1.0 while mlv 2.0 has a pink cast ,there is no problem with Original Raw 1.0 while recording raw video.
I also check Jan.29/2015 nightly build and this is the case , mlv pink cast preview in crop mode while recording & with Raw1.0 color preview while recording .
So if you want full color preview while recording 3x crop raw video then use Version 1.0.
I'll post a video here later that will to show the different previews in crop mode, just in the middle of working on a green screen music video at the moment  ;D 

snefferdy

Question for anyone reading this:

Where can I find the last stable release of ML for the 5D2? It's not available from the main downloads page.

The raw video hasn't yet met my overly-high expectations (due to aliasing/moire issues without achieving full HD), and I have been experiencing some intermittent buggy behaviour from the camera since my install (it crashed on a shoot last night). So I don't need the raw video but I still want to use ML's other (older) great features, and I am hoping to find that an older version runs smoother. Any ideas?

dmilligan

The most recent builds are really more stable than the old "v2.3 stable" from years ago, especially if you don't use raw video.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14280.0

gtsofilms

@reddercity I tried RAW 1.0 with the 1880 build that you posted a link for and wasn't able to get a correctly framed color preview without a pink cast in crop mode.  MLV or RAW doesn't seem to matter...  Does anyone else have this problem?

:[

reddeercity

Quote from: gtsofilms on March 13, 2015, 04:21:28 AM
@reddercity I tried RAW 1.0 with the 1880 build that you posted a link for and wasn't able to get a correctly framed color preview without a pink cast in crop mode.  MLV or RAW doesn't seem to matter...  Does anyone else have this problem?
I may have miss lead you , Sorry
The older Oct24/2013 raw build with 1880 will not work as I have discovered .
Download the latest nightly built  and retry, I check it with the magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Jan29.5D2212 nighty build with Raw ver1.0 and it's OK
Please read my post again
Quote from: reddeercity on March 10, 2015, 11:48:37 PM
As I said full color preview with proper framing work ok with MLV 2.0 & Raw 1.0 (edit: with Feb16/2014 nighty build)
This is not the case with Raw 1.0 while mlv 2.0 has a pink cast ,there is no problem with Original Raw 1.0 while recording raw video.
I also check Jan.29/2015 nightly build and this is the case , mlv pink cast preview in crop mode while recording & with Raw1.0 color preview while recording .
I also when back to the old nighty builds I have and the full color with proper framing  in crop mode while record raw has been working with raw ver 1.0
since early Sept/2014.
I will post a video to show this a little later as I'm deep in a project right now, give me a day or two . Most likely late Saturday Afternoon .
Sorry for any confusion .  :D

gtsofilms

appreciate it! I tried the latest build and I get the same pink cast that I've gotten using RAW 1.0.  I'm really curious what it could be that's giving me this problem!

dlrpgmsvc

Do 5d MkII will benefit in raw video recording with ML using a 1066x CF card instead of a 1000x CF card ? Does anyone tested this ?
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

reddeercity

@dlrpgmsvc,  Yes I have.
I have a Lexar 1066x 64 GB here a link to a post I wrote with testing, very impressive card .
I would say about 15- 20% increase in speed if not more.
fast enough to maintain 79.9 MB/s @ 1920x1038 Crop mode Continuous on Raw ver 1.0 Oct/24/2013 build
and with MLV , far more stable at high resolutions e.g. 1872*936 /23.976fps Continuous (with buffer fill rate "4") and 
the ability to have ML overlays(scopes etc..) on while recording raw video plus HDMI enabled to a monitor/recorder
with out dropping frames.
Before on my Lexar 1000x I could record 1872*936 but not with overlays or HDMI enabled
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11205.msg136460#msg136460

klk

5DMk2 doesn't load ML...
Just picked up a second 5Dmk2- pretty beat up.  Updated firmware to 2.1.2.  Will not boot up ML.  Settings are identical to first body.  Have not found any regular function that does not work yet.  The indicator light by the "set" dial shows it simply does not boot up ML.
Anyone have similar problems?  Thoughts?  Something to check?
thx

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Browse Nightly Builds -> 5D2.212
Follow instructions.

klk

Thanks for helping with the brain fart. 

dlrpgmsvc

@reddeercity: many thanks! So I will definitely buy a 1066x CF! Also, do you (or others) know if the fastest 1066x CF card is the 32, 64 or 128 gb model? This is crucial in my choice! Many thanks again and in advance!
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

reddeercity

@gtsofilms here's the Video I promised about 3x Crop mode full color framing.
Used my beloved Feb 16th/2014 nightly build , hope this helps  ;D

haime82

Oh... I was really happy to install the lastest ML version to start my raw recordings but i had a problem. With the new version you can find important problems in normal h264 mov recordings (normal bitrate)... During a film several frames were enlightened in a pair of shoots... :o I hope I'll be able to fix it with colorist work because there were only a pair of single frames with this problem... So i decided desinstall it and go back to the last stable version becuse it is a serious problem I'm afraid... I'll try my luck with the new nightly built version!
Even so... thank you very mutch for this ML work!

Another problems I found:
A pink distorsion in crop mode during the raw recording... (edited: ok, i saw there are ways to solve it)
Why removing the auto mode in overexpose?
Data values are really small on display. It's hard to read them, at least for me

Another question: Can be dangerous updating and downgradind many times the ML diferent versions?

gtsofilms

reddeercity - thanks so much!! that was so helpful.  :)

lexalotacus

Hey guys I promise I searched for at least 10 minutes before I started typing my question to avoid repeats. Alas, the information I cannot find and just want to be sure. I'm about to try to use ML for raw video on my 5D2, but wanted to make sure I was clear on how it works.

My question is this.. So when I install the ML firmware on my Lexar 1066x card, the card runs ML when it's in but if I switch back to a completely different card the camera will function as normal? So basically you make 'ML cards'?

I want to be able to switch seamlessly back to just shooting photos on the standard canon firmware with the cards I've already been using for years if possible. Then switch to RAW video on a ML card.

Thoughts? Also, appreciate the information from the ML community. Gratitude :)

lexalotacus

I was also wondering if the nightly builds are the only ones available? I couldn't find a section for 'stable releases'
Can anyone link me?