Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dover

"or similarly in Av mode, if you set minimum shutter speed value (auto iso menu) of 1/250, and enable auto iso in the range of 100-12800, camera will choose the suitable iso for the situation and aperture value, and makes sure shutter speed is not slower than 1/250, if it would be, it increases iso.
so you dont have to bother with setting iso in any mode, metering and the camera will take care of it..."
and this is exactly what autoexposure does with ML in M mode. without the option to change the aperture on the wheel, because it will always choose widest aperture, or the lowest value of the Av range.

robneave99

Hi

I have been using ML for HDR bracketing for some time and it has always worked just fine.

Started experimenting with video recently and got a set-up that I liked where burn-out areas were marked in LV, and then when I started shooting the exposure was automatically reduced to cure the burn-outs. It was excellent.

Today the expo over-ride dropped out of the menu. I removed the card and the battery without result, so downloaded the latest build and installed it. Great, I got a full set of menus.

But now, I am totally unable to get back the functionality that I appreciated before. Partly because i do not know how I got it in the first place. Is anyone able to help please?

illwieckz

Hi, on the 5D2.212 Magic Lantern download page I read:

• After opening the card door, always wait for LED confirmation (or for 5 seconds) before removing the card, even if your camera is turned off!!!
  • On this camera, removing the card too fast might cause permanent damage.

What does it means, is removing the card too fast might cause permanent damage to the card, or permanent damage to the camera, or both?

rastAsia

Quote from: illwieckz on December 09, 2015, 07:08:13 AM
5D2.212.
removing the card too fast might cause permanent damage to the card, or permanent damage to the camera, or both?
You need to allow the captured data to be completely registered into the card. When the lights blinking, best wait until it's done doing what it needs to do. Do not to remove the card as you might damage the last captured file and risk losing some others too. It can take 2-3 seconds after a loong shoot.
Audio Imaging. Mix Engineer.
5DMII, 550D, Roland R26, Sennheiser MKH416P48, ME40, ME80, ew122 G3, Røde SVM, FCP, ProTools, LogicStudio

a1ex

On 5D2, removing the card too fast might cause permanent damage to the camera.

togg

I don't know if it was already asked (or maybe I've asked it myself... can't find anything) but how raw works when using an hdmi monitor or evf? Is it the same speed/resolution? What solutions are you using?

reddeercity

Quote from: togg on December 10, 2015, 12:08:37 AM
how raw works when using an hdmi monitor or evf? Is it the same speed/resolution? What solutions are you using?
Works Ok with any Standard HDMI Capture device/Monitor/EVF , I regularly use my Ninja Recorder , AJA Kona Lhi Capture Card ,  Zacuto  EVF and plain old HDTV.
HDMI implements the EIA/CEA-861 standards basically any 480i/p to 2160p 4:2:2/4:4:4 (60i/p) uncompressed(1.5Gb/s) native or non native Stream. 
Quote48bit (...16-bit-per-channel deep color)
36bit (...12-bit-per-channel deep color)
30bit (...10-bit-per-channel deep color)
Y444  (...4:4:4 in deep color modes)

So any native resolution would be 3840x2160p , 1920x1080p, 1280x720p,  720x480i/p etc....
But the 5D2 uses Non native resolution , which is 1650x1080 or should I say 1920x1080 with side bars so a 4:3 A.R. in stead of 16:9 A.R.
So there will be a little scaling needs to done to 16:9 image I think about 10-15% .
Out of the 5D2 HDMI port you get 1650x1080 60i 4:2:2 8bit uncompressed , no matter what resolution of Raw video .
Be aware that you should to be in NTSC not Pal , set the Canon menu frame rate to 24p there is a reason for this.
Doesn't seem to work very will with the Pal TV system for reports or other on the forum.
As there will be a 24p stream embedded in the 60i stream , with any newer HDMI capture device you can do a 3-2 pull down (also known as reverse telecine)
to get the 24p stream .
I find the most stable raw resolution while recording HDMI is 1856x928 @ 23.976 + Audio 44.1Khz (1000x CF card minimum)  depending on the Nightly Build Date.
One more thing you should be aware of is Picture Style Profiles effect  HDMI/Liveview  as it processed to 8bit , so if you what a Streaming file
that looks like HD rec709 colors use landscape or standard profiles , or what every you like.
Just my thoughts  :D

illwieckz

Quote from: a1exOn 5D2, removing the card too fast might cause permanent damage to the camera.

OK. Thank you for the answer. That's hurt to learn, but it's good to know... :o

togg

Thanks reddercity!
So you think that I will be able to keep 1856x1004 @ 23.976 using the old raw module without audio? Your resolution seems the one that I can have with MLV so it should be the same.

Do you know any of these three monitors by chance?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007T9WEXG/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084ZY9YQ
http://www.amazon.com/Lilliput-5d-ii-1024x600-Lp-e6-Battery/dp/B007CGDJMQ

SpcCb

Quote from: a1ex on December 09, 2015, 09:58:36 AM
On 5D2, removing the card too fast might cause permanent damage to the camera.
Is there no solution to prevent this a1ex?
Mark on screen 'please wait before remove the card, saving data..' or something, when user open the card door?

a1ex

I'm afraid not. Even if you open the card door a few hours after you turned the camera off, it will wake-up as soon as you open the door (yes, with the main switch turned off). After about 1-2 seconds, it will load autoexec.bin. If you remove the card during this process (which takes 0.5 seconds or so, depending on card speed and binary size), the camera locks up and appears to execute some random code (it won't execute anything from autoexec.bin - the first thing autoexec does is to turn on the card LED, and this never happend when I locked up the camera by removing the card too fast). More details here.

There are two reports about bricked 5D2's, where users said they removed the card too fast, and this might be the problem. One of them had the ROM erased completely (just bootloader was active), so I could not find any explanation about why this happened. The other one has corrupted settings area (missing properties), and I'm still researching it (this one might have been caused by a bad shutdown or ML bug).

To make sure the camera is not executing random code, the closest thing I can do would be a minimal autoexec (just enough to boot and do some file i/o), then load ML as a module dynamically only when the main firmware started. This would just reduce the probability of removing the card while autoexec is being loaded (since we would have a smaller binary). Or, reflashing Canon bootloader code (which I'm not going to do).

Newer cameras at least turn on the LED while reading autoexec.bin.

SpcCb

Wahô :o Since years, after open the card door I just wait LED stops blinking before to remove the card. I thought/hope the blinking card LED trick was active. :-X

Beside, it appears that the best way is to remove the card when the camera is 'on' (power switch in 'ON' position). In this way on 5D2 it's perfectly safe (correct me a1ex if I'm wrong). Maybe it could be a important notice (?) face to the '5s waiting'. Or when we switch off the camera by opening the card door we should wait 5s too before remove the card?

An other problem would be if the same scenario appends (blinded autoexec.bin loading) in other cases; like "camera off - detach/attach lens" (because the card LED blinks while this operation)
And just to participate, "camera off - open the battery door on a grip -> card LED blinking" :/

However, since many years, just by waiting the LED stops blinking (sometimes it takes several seconds, even with a fast card), I never get problems. :)

a1ex

Indeed, the safest way is to remove the card when the power switch is on. That way, the camera turns off gracefully when you open the card door, and has no reason to wake up after that.

If you detach the lens, it's quite unlikely that you remove the card at the same time. So, autoexec.bin gets loaded completely, blinks the LED, then the camera shuts down.

A warning message on the sensor cleaning screen should be a good idea for a reminder.

reddeercity

Quote from: togg on December 10, 2015, 10:34:25 AM
Thanks reddercity!
So you think that I will be able to keep 1856x1004 @ 23.976 using the old raw module without audio? Your resolution seems the one that I can have with MLV so it should be the same.
Yes, 1856x1004 @ 23.976p with the Old Raw will work just fine . I use to use that resolution with HDMI before MLV without any problems
That should be about 74 MB/s which is with in 5D2 CF card band width (pecks out at 80-83 MB/S)
Just a *note* start the Cam up with the HDMI Connected , it was known to crash sometimes if you plugged in after bootup , or at least it use to with old raw.
I haven check if there was still a issue with latest builds , that the reason I use MLV , more stable with HDMI and of course Audio was must from me.
Don't get me wrong Old Raw worked great with HDMI , but just aware of the fact.

I like this one Better still in the price range , I heard good thing about LILLIPUT  search the forum and there a thread about some where ,
Professional LILLIPUT 7'' 665 /O/P 665GL-70NP/HO/Y/P Color TFT LCD Monitor With HDMI

togg

Perfect, thanks a lot. I'll try to choose between the lillupts. Only problem is that they say that something like that (http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00SV2GWO2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p421_d0_i2) doesn't hold a 7" monitor. Grrr.

Anyway since we are on the 5d2 topic, you are using mlv@audio to have a smooth sync on post right?

66dellwood

Apologies for barging in.  Am finally going to take the plunge and run ML on a 5d2.   Can someone provide current advice/recommendations on suitable CF cards.  I read the older threads.  Am considering 128GB and per advice on data bus limits don't see a need to go over 1000x.   The old Komputerbay failure rate has me spooked about going that route.

thanks much,
Jim

togg

My KB 64GB 1000X are really good. I still have not understood if the 128 ones are good for the 5D2 so I'm interested as well.

reddeercity

Quote from: togg on December 11, 2015, 01:19:10 PM
Perfect, thanks a lot. I'll try to choose between the lillupts. Only problem is that they say that something like that (http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00SV2GWO2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p421_d0_i2) doesn't hold a 7" monitor. Grrr.
I don't see way it shouldn't look strong enough. I have 2 of these E-Image EI-A02 10" Articulating Arm Holds up my Ninja + Canon HV20(B-Cam HDMI to ProRes 422HQ) on One Arm.

Quote from: togg on December 11, 2015, 01:19:10 PM
Anyway since we are on the 5d2 topic, you are using mlv@audio to have a smooth sync on post right?
Yes mostly , I also will run the main audio from my Rhodes Zoom Mic  on Run& Gun , so now that my Main Audio I use.
Or if I need to be really compact , just basic stuff on run & gun Interviews etc.. I plug in my Sennheiser G3 Wireless Receiver
and record audio @ 48Khz or I can pass thought the audio from the Head Phone jack to a Audio Recorder like my N4h Zoom.
I do this a lot , I will take the audio from the headphone jacket and run a line in to my ninja while I master to the Camera with Raw MLV.
As there no audio in the HDMI.

That why I'll sacrifice Smaller resolution from 1880x1058 etc... in old raw to get 1872x 936 + audio 2:1 A.R. with MLV

reddeercity

Quote from: togg on December 11, 2015, 08:38:04 PM
My KB 64GB 1000X are really good. I still have not understood if the 128 ones are good for the 5D2 so I'm interested as well.
Yes 128 GB CF card are good to use on 5D2 http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8412.msg114580#msg114580

Quote from: 66dellwood on December 11, 2015, 07:39:23 PM
considering 128GB and per advice on data bus limits don't see a need to go over 1000x. 
No , the faster the better plus newer faster cards are getting dirt cheap.
I have a few 1000x Lexar CF's (32 & 64) and a few 1066X Lexar CF's (32&64) and the 1066x are consistently 25 to 30% faster write Speed
Specially at the Max resolutions in 3x crop mode like 2K etc...

My 1066x cards are half price of what my 1000x cards at least with Lexar.

66dellwood

Thanks much for the feedback.  The Lexar 128gb 1066x looks like the way to go.   Are there any practical reasons go with 64gb rather than a 128 card?

reddeercity

Not Really , 64 GB cards are more available in my area .
Some would make the argument ,  less chance of Card corruption  with smaller cards.
Specially on a paid job , Hate to have a crash and loose the data on a 128 GB Card . :o
I doubt that a issue these days any more.
I usually don't record more then 10-12 Min. per clip (1872x936)(interviews), so 64 GB works in my case ,
but some times I wish I had a few 128GB on some Live events thou .

markus1980

Hallo!

I have just installed ML on my 7d. Works nice!

I am looking forward to buy a used 5dmkii.
On which port do I have to connect the headphones on the 5dmkii for monitoring?
On the Audio/Video OUT terminal or on the Digital terminal?

Thanks and kind regards for Vienna
Markus

reddeercity

Hello , Use the A/V port  Look here at 1:27 of my video tutorial for hdmi hard drive records (Atomos Ninja)
https://vimeo.com/87063254

ch_d

Hi.

I still use an old build for my 5DM2 from: 24.Oct 2013 with good performance.
On an upcoming project i need ML again - is there any new and STABLE RAW build for my old 5DM2?
HDMI monitoring would be nice!

Thnx
5D MII

reddeercity

The latest nightly build should be Ok for your needs,  I have being using .MLV  format for a sometime
with HDMI monitoring/capturing . but for what you are use to in .raw format you will be limited to 1856x928 @ 23.976p with HDMI
I use a older build with 1872x936 and with 1066x cf card which just about max, the card write speed. with out frame drop continuous recording
So depends on your requirements I guess.