TWO 5D MK IIs Won't read ANY CF cards, nor can it format, CF Err

Started by timleeds, March 22, 2014, 05:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timleeds

I installed ML on a card, used in my 5DmkII no problem, then suddenly it wouldn't read an CF cards, just the SD's in a CF adapter, one with ML, and two without.  Fine, so I just used it with the adapter, thinking I have a problem with my CF pins or something.

I'm on a two cam shoot, and using another NON ML cam, and all of the sudden it's pulling the same antics, though nothing was ever done to mod it, it's possible I put a card with ML in the camera inadvertently, though I didn't read anything that would indicate that would be dangerous.

I get home, offload media, and start to troubleshoot, so I was able to remove ML from the modded camera, as outlined in the instructions, install current firmware, just in case, and now it won't read or format ANY card.

AND, the backup, which never had ML installed at all, but which MIGHT have had a card inserted with ML on it, won't read any cards either.

Has this error happened to anyone else?  Also I used the nightly build for MKII that had raw capability enabled, the one that's been around for a good long while.

dhallowell19

Whoops - I just noticed that you have two Mark iis --- the below won't apply directly to you - but I guess I'll leave it in case someone else finds it in a search
--------------

Of course I can't be sure -- but I had what would seem to be the same symptoms, (Canon FM 1.1.3, ML) and I couldn't read or format CF cards in the camera.  Even with no ML - still no-go.    I tried all the pin checking and rebooting I could think of, and was getting ready to send it in to Canon.  THEN I found the recent 5D Mark iii ML for Canon FW 1.2.3.  I installed it, and went to the ML Menu to enable the CF card workaround - and, now I can read and format and use all my CF cards.   Will try to understand the situation and real causes better - but, for now, I'm really happy to be back in business.    Good luck with your situation.