50d Video- New Question about resolution

Started by painya, March 21, 2014, 04:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

painya

First of all, I apologize if this question has already been asked in the forum, but I have been searching around and not found it.

How does the 50d record h.264 if it does not come with the hardware implemented in the other canon cameras? I, of course, am referring to the ominous "chipset" that Magic Lantern has not been able to access.

Why does the 30 minute limit exist on the 50d? It seems like it would not be included in the original firmware because the 50d didn't have any video capabilities before this miracle known as Magic Lantern came around.

Thanks,
Painya
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

Audionut

It's far cheaper to design and produce the exact same hardware component, then it is to produce slight variations of a component.
Then it's a case of creating software differences.

I'm not saying that is what happened here, just saying  :P

painya

@audionut
So you are saying they added the 30 minute, software imposed, to a firmware that was never intended to shoot video? But I agree with you that it is a software difference because that is much cheaper.
Thanks

Audionut

It's entirely possible that the 50D was originally designed to record video.  Since the camera can infact record video, I would say this is a pretty good educated guess.

Since the EU tax laws affect the bottom dollar, I would imagine that the 30 minute limit was a top priority in the development cycle.

painya

It is true that it may have been originally designed to record video, but why would it have a 3:2 LV screen? Just have cinematographers deal with it? I know A1ex ported ML so maybe he could shed light on the subject.

And yes that is a good educated guess.

Audionut

Large corporations are fallible.

painya

True true, I can't see any other feasible answer than yours.

painya

Hello, instead of starting a new thread I thought I should re purpose this one.
Does the 50d record true h.264 1080P? I know cameras like the 6d or 5d mk ii are slightly under that and are limited to the resolution that the live view receives (more or less). The 50d only receives 15-- something so is that just upscaled in camera to 1080p?
Thanks.

painya

Quote from: Audionut on April 22, 2014, 05:15:12 AM
www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0
Audionut, thank you for your quick response. However, this has to do with RAW video, and I was wondering the resolution according to h.264 video. Is this confirming my theory that the footage is upscaled in camera?
Thanks again.

Audionut

It's all sourced from the same LV feed afaik.

Of course, H.264 then throws the data through a different processing chain. 
From what I remember, the processing chain for H.264, does some further resizing steps on the source feed.  Not sure if this is only for the chroma component, or the entire source.

painya

Quote from: Audionut on April 22, 2014, 05:29:10 AM
It's all sourced from the same LV feed afaik.

Of course, H.264 then throws the data through a different processing chain. 
From what I remember, the processing chain for H.264, does some further resizing steps on the source feed.  Not sure if this is only for the chroma component, or the entire source.
Thanks!