RAW card errors & glitches

Started by beyondbordersmedia, March 16, 2014, 11:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beyondbordersmedia

Hi guys!

I'm new to RAW video. Recently I visited Iran for holidays and tried to shoot some stuff on RAW. While filming I didn't encounter any problems but after processing the videos to a workable format I noticed that the RAW videos I had shot all have glitches running through the image. And, the shots I made afterwards without RAW (just normal 1080) also had glitches, making most of the footage unusable. After replacing the card where the latest ML is installed (with RAW) by a card with the previous ML version on it (without RAW) I didn't have the same problem any more.

Now, the videos that I haven't shot RAW on the RAW card show normal on the camera. When putting the card in the card reader I see those glitches. Solutions anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Midphase

If you expect some useful responses, you might consider adding useful information in your post such as what camera are you shooting this on, what cards, what version of ML, what reader, etc.

I mean...come on dude!

beyondbordersmedia

Oh yeah... forgot that part!

I´m shooting on a 5D Mark ii, using ML 2.3. Card is a Transcend 1000x 64GB. I´m importing on a Transcend usb 3.0 card reader. Will this info do?

dmilligan

You should probably describe exactly what you mean by 'glitches' as that term is completely vague and could be anything (and a picture is worth a thousand words).

beyondbordersmedia

Midphase

Quote from: beyondbordersmedia on March 17, 2014, 02:55:54 PM
Oh yeah... forgot that part!

I´m shooting on a 5D Mark ii, using ML 2.3. Card is a Transcend 1000x 64GB. I´m importing on a Transcend usb 3.0 card reader. Will this info do?

Not enough info. ML 2.3, what does that mean? Right now raw video is only availably on the Nightly builds, which means that we need a date of which Nightly build you're using. If you're not using a Nightly build, then you're not shooting in raw AFAIK.

Also, what frame rate/resolution are you shooting at?

From the picture you posted, that doesn't look to me like any raw glitch that I have ever encountered. Looks like weirdly pixelated Codec errors. Could it be that you were shooting plain old h.264 and your card was just a bum card?

Midphase

P.S.

How are you processing the raw files on your computer? (hint. If you are getting Quicktime files off of your card, it ain't raw).

beyondbordersmedia

Sorry mate, I'm relatively new to the whole ML / RAW section. Still learning, please be patient with me ;-)

This is the version I downloaded and put on my card: magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Aug21

My cards is fairly new, only worked with it a couple times.

In my first post - might have been a bit unclear there - I meant that the glitches (as you seen on the picture) occur when transferring the normal footage (not RAW) to my computer. This started after I did some try-out with RAW, then put it back to the normal 1080 settings... So, the RAW footage is ok, but now my normal HD footage has these glitches...

The normal footage on the camera is playing without any problem, when transferring to my computer it is not working. I didn´t have this problem before using ML, it started after I made some RAW shots for the first time... My main question is: is there a way I can transfer the normal footage to my computer without those glitches...?

Cheers!

dmilligan

Perhaps the glitches are due to the software you are using to view the files? If they playback fine in camera, that's the only thing that makes sense, since there's clearly nothing wrong with ML, your card, or the camera if they still play ok in the camera. Try different software, different computer, different card reader.

Midphase

Unless your CF card reader is to blame.

Try not using your CF card and record to the SD card, then see if that h.264 footage imports without issues. Maybe try using with a different card reader? There is the possibility that your CF card is screwed up, but it's somewhat unlikely.

As far as raw is concerned, start by downloading a newer nightly, there have been a huge number of improvements since last August and you'd be better off using the latest version.