Huge Audio Synch Problem

Started by LeeS, March 26, 2014, 09:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeS

I'm shooting on a 5D III and am new to ML.  Everything is working great so I shot an interview in RAW yesterday while recording the audio into a Tascam DR40. The problem is the video seems to be playing back much faster than the audio... and the audio seems fine.  I'm not new to editing so I've checked frame rates, etc and everything seems correct. Here was my workflow... converted the RAW files to dng with RAWMagic. Imported the dng files into Adobe Camera Raw, did a small amount of color correction and saved. Imported the dng files into After Effects CS6, exported the clip as ProRes HQ, and brought it into FCP7 to edit. The file plays/looks great but I have to slow it down to 77% to get it to roughly match the audio, so it's playing MUCH too fast. Any suggestions out there?

I'd GREATLY appreciate any help.

Lee

Frank7D

In After Effects, set the frame rate of the image sequence to be whatever it should be (what you shot it at) by File / Interpret footage / Main.
AE assumes 30 fps for image sequences unless you tell it otherwise.

LeeS

Frank, Thank you VERY MUCH! That did it.  I had assumed that since I had my AE comp and the output set at 23.976 that would do it, but obviously not. Thank you again for your assistance!

I can now stop banging my head against the wall.

Lee

mageye

I just thought that I would mention that to make sure all footage is imported at the same frame rate you can make this default setting from the Preferences.

To set it go to pull down menu:

After Effects > Preferences > Import...

Then in the Sequence Footage section set the frames per second.

This will import all of your footage at that frame rate as default without having to set it every time.

Also set default base frame rate for project:

File > Project Settings... Default Base:
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7