Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfort

It seems that there is a large section of the ML community that is hungry to get 5D.123 updated with the latest features. Every time I put up a new 123 test build the downloads exceed that of the 113 builds. I may be wrong but my opinion is if you want to help Magic Lantern move forward and you already have a 5D3 the best place to start isn't with getting a new camera that hasn't been ported yet and bugging developers when it will happen but by getting your camera working smoothly with 123.

I don't have a 5D3 but if I did I'd be all over getting it working with 123 or even trying to update it to the latest (134) firmware.

Why? Well one reason would be because there is some exciting work being discussed on the Programmatic focus control and absolute/relative focus position topic and it seems that some of the issues that are being encountered might have been fixed by Canon.

Driver / Software Details:
QuoteChanges in Version 1.3.3:
1. Improves the AF controllability when shooting in Live View mode with a wide-angle lens (fixed focal length or zoom).

If you have the skills, porting 123 to 134 probably isn't as big of a jump as porting a new camera. The porting of new cameras will happen in time by developers who are happier working on the hard stuff than the little things like searching for stubs on a firmware update.

garry23

@dfort

I'm with you.

As you know I'm keen to help, but I'm not up and running in 'compiling mode' yet.

Having said that, with a 5D3 I'm keen to support user testing...and of course Lua scripting developments  :)

Cheers

Garry

a1ex

Just merged 5D3 1.2.3 in unified, along with 1.1.3.

That means, from now on, they will both follow the regular nightly builds and also the experimental builds just like all other platforms, without requiring special attention.

garry23

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks so much for making this happen @a1ex!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

RenatoPhoto

wohoooo!  I love it.. full support for 5D3123.. 
Thanks my man!   :)
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

axelcine

A1ex - I commented on this in the crop branch, but allow me to say it again here: What an achievement. From what you guys told me some time ago, the technical challenge was almost overwhelming, but you  masterminded it. Thanks, A1ex and your staff of competent and enthusiastic testers, developers and programmers. You're taking engineering to a new level.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

mattcraigthomas

bineyboy

I just got 5d mark 111 and installed magic lantern. I also have a scandisk CP 128 in the camera but the recording keeps shutting of after every 14 secs or so. I made sure to format the card as ExFAT. Could it be a setting I am missing somewhere?

Walter Schulz

Modules tab -> Load Bench.mo
Restart cam
Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card Benchmarks -> Quick R/W benchmark (1 min)
After completion you get a PPM file on card's root directory. Convert file to JPEG or PNG and use a free filehoster to share it here.

bineyboy

There is no ppm file in the root. The  file I see in the 100EOS5D mlv_rec.tmp. By the way how do i get filehoster and how do I use it to upload stuff to here

garry23

I'll jump in here, as I've never used a free filehosting approach.

Can someone recommend a stable and 'safe' one?

Walter Schulz

@bineyboy: Check cam's root.
Run benchmark in cam.
Check cam's root again after benchmark terminates.
Process file created after benchmark run and link it here.
No use to try it with mlv_rec.tmp.

bineyboy

Thank you so much Walter. Please be patient with me. Very new at all this. Actually first time with even DSLR. How do I check Cam's root? and how do I process it. I really appreciate your help. If it won't be too much trouble for you I can give you my number so or I can call you so you can help me over the phone.

Walter Schulz

Please take into consideration ML was and is designed by and for people missing some features in Canon DSLRs.
I don't know which path (with photo gear) you took before getting a 5D3. Even people located on the geek side of photography may become overwhelmed by the plethora of new things to learn about the cam they thought to know so well. I cannot recommend ML for beginners. I strongly suggest to get to know the cam first without it.

If you insist using ML anyway:
Be prepared to use search engines a lot: "Root of card" can be googled.
PPM = Portable Pixel Map = A format to store pixel data aka pictures. More often used file formats for pics (at least on the internet) are PNG, JPG. Some image viewers are able to convert. So is Photoshop. Which programs will do for the OS your PC is running can be googled, too.

bineyboy

Thank you for your advice. I am determined to learn so I will google and follow your instructions. Performing the module a second time right now to see if it creates a file at the root directory of the card. If it does I will upload the file here.

bineyboy

I completed the process and I just saw that the ppm File you are talking about is being put on the SD card not the CF card and I was constantly checking the CF card.

Walter Schulz

Nope, wants me to login to dropbox. Hoster like picload, imgur would be easier to access by link.
But take a look at the numbers you got for benchmark first. If they are all (without exception) well below  25 MByte/s you benchmarked your SD-card instead. I can't tell if 5D3 is able to run benchmark for CF-card if run from SD-card. If unable: Copy nightly build contents to card and run installation without SD-card once again. Then run benchmark from CF-card.

bineyboy

Walter, I finally was able to use pic load to upload the image. Here is the link.   https://pl.vc/tkpha  OR   https://picload.org/image/rodpgcrr/bench4.jpg   Let me know what you think

Walter Schulz

Looks like a Sandisk Extreme 120 MByte/s card. Write speeds for this card will not reach 70 MByte/s.
Adjust bandwidth demand for chosen resolution/frame rate (visible in ML menu) to about 65 MByte/s  (or less) or use a faster card.

bineyboy

bineyboy

In the mean time what will you recommend as a faster card.

bineyboy

Do you think a 128GB scandisk extreme pro speed up to 160m/s (1067X), UDMA 7 enabled, 65 is a good one. It saids 4k on it. Can I still use it to record 1080p?

Lars Steenhoff

Yes the sansdik 128 (160 mb)is good, im using them without any broblems for 1080 raw