Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Which firmware version is installed on your cam? 1.1.3 or 1.2.3?

applewide

Quote from: a1ex on May 11, 2014, 05:46:33 PM
works fine here

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

hi alex

thanks for your quick response

for RAW version 1, yes it is working with BEEP

for RAW version 2, no it doesn't work with the BEEP, I just tried the latest one, I am positive, can you please send MLV binary please, should be a quick easy, I would fix it if i could

a1ex

Quote from: a1ex on May 05, 2014, 11:33:00 AM
Reminder: the MLV thread is this one: www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122

RAW and MLV are not the core of ML, they are just applications (sure, very popular ones). There is a forum area dedicated to raw recording, so please discuss raw issues there.

I prefer this thread to be about core issues specific to 5D3 (in particular, problems introduced in 1.2.3 that did not exist in 1.1.3).

ilkerc

Hi.

Yesterday I shot 2 and 3 min continuous MLV files with 1920*1080 25p with sound.
The card was 32 GB 1066x lexar.

The space in the card was misreported after shooting 4 min. it was showing 25 GB empty and then recording stopped and got this message "card file system error?"

The empty space on card was still showing 25 GB

I removed the battery and restarted it was showing 0.2 MB

Any idea? I know this is a bug report but I couldn't post to bugs page somehow.
Thanks.

DavidSh

Quote from: ilkerc on May 12, 2014, 09:42:08 AM
Hi.

Yesterday I shot 2 and 3 min continuous MLV files with 1920*1080 25p with sound.
The card was 32 GB 1066x lexar.

The space in the card was misreported after shooting 4 min. it was showing 25 GB empty and then recording stopped and got this message "card file system error?"

The empty space on card was still showing 25 GB

I removed the battery and restarted it was showing 0.2 MB

Any idea? I know this is a bug report but I couldn't post to bugs page somehow.
Thanks.
It's not a issue with 1.2.3 firmware. It need some code in mlv_rec to refresh it.

Best
David
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

RockandGrohl

Hello, I've been having this problem for a while and I'm not entirely sure what's causing it or how to re-create it.

Basically exposure between a photo taken in live-view, and then viewed back will be different.

Where something looks totally fine and correctly exposed in Liveview, I'll hit playback and it'll look dark and muddy, almost as if the screen's brightness and contrast have been changed.

I haven't really been testing out what causes it, and I can not confirm whether the photo looks underexposed when viewed on a PC, but I will say this is isolated to ML on 5D3 1.2.3 and it's the March 17 2014 Nighty Build.

This has never happened with my 550D ML, so I'm not sure whether it's a 5D3 issue or a ML for 5D3.

Cheers!

a1ex

No idea how to reproduce, but post some screenshots from the Expo menu, the Delta menu (modified settings) and a test image from LiveView and QuickReview modes, both with raw histogram enabled.

There is a Canon bug with manual lenses, but that one shows the LiveView much darker than the captured photo (the opposite of what you described).

Richardson

Hi everybody.

I've just installed ML on my 5D Mark III ( 1.2.3 ). Installation ok. One problem. When I record with mlv module, after starting the recording, the live view just freeze but the recording continue ( I can see the time goes on, number of frame etc... ) I have a CF card Sandisk extreme 32 go 800x... Anybody has a solution ?

Other questions : which is right now the more stable version of ML ( for 1.2.3 ) ?
And what are the better settings to optimize mlv recording ?

Thank you a lot in advance.

vovkinson

how about google "magic lantern cf cards" ?

Quote from: Richardson on May 12, 2014, 04:44:34 PM
Hi everybody.

I've just installed ML on my 5D Mark III ( 1.2.3 ). Installation ok. One problem. When I record with mlv module, after starting the recording, the live view just freeze but the recording continue ( I can see the time goes on, number of frame etc... ) I have a CF card Sandisk extreme 32 go 800x... Anybody has a solution ?

Other questions : which is right now the more stable version of ML ( for 1.2.3 ) ?
And what are the better settings to optimize mlv recording ?

Thank you a lot in advance.

Richardson

Ok so you think that it comes from my CF card not fast enough... I thought in that case I couldn't record anything or just few seconds... It's just my Liveview freezing and I can anyway play back my recording with mlv player... Thank you for your answer.

Walter Schulz

Delete ML\Settings\MAGIC.CFG and start over to configure RAW recording. Load MLV_REC.MO *or* RAW_REC.MO, don't use 10x zoom, don't use Global Draw.
Results still the same?

Do you have an USB 3.0 cardreader connected to an USB 3.0 port? In case you have, run a benchmark (ATTO or CrystalDiskMark) and verify your card specifications.

Richardson

you won't believe me but... After you answered me, I did the whole installation of ML for my 5D Mark III. The same as the last time.

I don't have any MAGIC.CFG in ML/Settings. So don't need to erase.
I first activated the MLV rec module only with global draw off... Liveview no freezing. So perfect.
Then I tried with MLV snd loaded... Liveview no freezing. Perfect.
Loaded Raw rec module ( without unloaded MLV rec and snd )... Liveview no freezing. Perfect.
At the end I don't know what was the problem the first time I installed ML but now it's working great with my CF, and I didn't do anything different... Strange.

The only thing it's the first time I loaded the three modules at the same time. Maybe it's the cause...

By the way do you have settings to optimise the recording ? 

Thank you very much for your help :)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Richardson on May 13, 2014, 01:13:51 PMThe only thing it's the first time I loaded the three modules at the same time. Maybe it's the cause...

It is. You can reproduce it and it will not work. Same effect like going around a pole left and right at the same time ...
You can not run MLV_REC.MO and RAW_REC.MO at the same time and expect ML working properly. Period.

Richardson

DavidSh

Hacked preview was the "problem", that is how it looks like...

Best
David
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

Richardson

Exactly what I've just understood. Preview on Auto is ok. Preview on Hacked = liveview freeze.

a1ex

Please read the first post before continuing the discussion about raw recording.

Locking the thread for 48 hours.

Fioritura

Hi there,

I just had a strange experience with the 5D mk3 and Marek's build. The camera would show the ML menu when I pressed the trash button but switch back after a second. I managed to get all setting dialed in and recorded the set, but it appears the camera wants to negate the WB shift setting in irregular intervals, causing short (luckily slight) colour changes for a fixed number of frames. I'll post two samples in a bit. A few hours after the session the camera (with the same card and all) luckily performed without any problems.

Cheers,

Andrew

unfilmde

Well, took the plunge and installing the latest build of 5D Mark iii 1.2.3 could not have been easier. I installed to a 32GB SanDisk Extreme SDHC card for ML only.

Two quick questions:

1. When shooting raw, what should the picture style be set to? In the past when I shot h.264 I used Technicolor's CineStyle. Does it matter now? I assume nothing is baked in because I am shooting raw... Color Balance, Picture style, etc. Or does it make a difference?

2. Is there a complete manual or PDF floating around that goes over each and every setting? If not has someone started one that I can update and finish?

TIA,

Great work!

Audionut

1.  Doesn't matter.

2.  Here.  Feel free to add replies, and I can edit the content as needed.

jrcreative

Just installed 1.2.3 on my Mark III and have had no problems shooting etc. One thing however i've noticed is that when i plug in my HDMI monitor and turn on my camera i do not get my ML. It seems to default to the normal Canon video monitor screen. I was able to access the ML settings by hitting the trash can but that's about it.

thoughts?

J

nikki

imported latest build for 5d mIII 1.2.3.
my question is how do you export footage to your computer (i have a mac pro)??
and how do you view in camera??

a1ex

Quote from: a1ex on May 13, 2014, 05:57:18 PM
Please read the first post before continuing the discussion about raw recording.

Locking the thread for another 48 hours.

unfilmde

Audio meters disappear in nightly build 2014-05-20 15:00:53 -0700. for the 5D Mark iii.

I ran the firmware update to undo the boot flag, restarted the camera and ran the firmware update to the latest build and no more audio meters on the preview screen in Live view in video mode.

Am I missing something?

frenchps49

Quote from: unfilmde on May 21, 2014, 07:15:49 AM
Audio meters disappear in nightly build 2014-05-20 15:00:53 -0700. for the 5D Mark iii.

I ran the firmware update to undo the boot flag, restarted the camera and ran the firmware update to the latest build and no more audio meters on the preview screen in Live view in video mode.

Am I missing something?

Everything's OK for me on 5D mk III