Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drjlo

Using 5D III 1.2.3 without any crashes so far, but is it normal for automatic image display to be disabled with ML?  Before ML, when I took a photo, the rear screen automatically showed the photo I just took (for 4 seconds as I have set in Canon menu).  After ML, even with Canon menu still set to show image for 4 seconds, I get nothing on screen.  I have to manually push the display button to see the image I took.  Is there a workaround?

alphaandomegafilms

Quote from: jafa on April 01, 2014, 03:53:48 PM
Same here on 30th build , gone back to 17th - more stable on raw and mlv.
Highest recorded temp is 48 after two minutes continuous record RAW, is every one else getting similar temps ?

I'm getting similar temperatures, which is making me a little nervous.  I haven't had the camera shut down on me, but does anyone know what temp one would expect the camera to shut down?  It's definitely outside the specified operating temperature.

arturochu

Quote from: Kiongku on March 31, 2014, 09:42:44 PM
Hi,
Love the work being done to bring ML to 1.2.3 as well as solving the boot flag issue.
I tried the latest build on March 31 and noticed an odd brightness flickering issue on the LCD.
My LCD brightness is set on manual, I actually felt that the issue was less noticeable when set to Auto brightness.
If you actually go to the Canon menu for the brightness setting, you can see the little white arrow moving all around.

I reverted to the normal firmware by removing the bootflag and the LCD brightness was stable.
I also reverted to the 17 March build and again the LCD brightness was stable. I am now back on the older build because it was annoying me too much.

I wonder if anyone else experienced this issue.

+1 i also have flicker in my LCD, it's kind of annoying, but i think i can live with it.
Chu

Audionut

Please add relevant information about screen flicker problems, here.

Kiongku

Quote from: Audionut on April 02, 2014, 07:51:01 AM
Please add relevant information about screen flicker problems, here.

It was an april fool by a1ex :P. No more problem now :) cheers

arturochu

Quote from: Kiongku on April 02, 2014, 07:54:28 PM
It was an april fool by a1ex :P. No more problem now :) cheers

??? really? it was all a joke? haha cause i was getting worried
Chu

sunchaser

Today i installed the 123. I hesitated but for serious video for clients its easy to disable ML so i can use it at will

tried it because of the HDR video

osk33no

just installed and the functions that i use work great!

sunchaser

I also put ML on the 650D but te 5D3 is sharper and have better iso

nikki

everything seems to be working..except help and info sections???  i just used the nightly build for 1.2.3.

(does boot flag still have to be installed?)

WeekendWarrior

Looks like this is heading in a great direction!
I can't wait to see the day where we can get stable use from a 5D Mark III & wireless follow focus/external monitors/movi...
Productions would be epic!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: nikki on April 04, 2014, 05:05:24 PM(does boot flag still have to be installed?)

3 things needed to run ML properly:
Bootflag set on cam
Bootable card
ML files and directories on card

pv25pv

ok using raw and everything works ok...i had couple bad frames once with the early 31th build but couldn't reproduce and since then im with 17th build and np...we are ready for testing the 'real sensor upgrade' :D
5Dmk3
24-105mm f/4L _ 16-35mm f/2.8L II _ 50mm f/1.4 _ TS-E 90mm f/2.8 _ Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX

tron

Quote from: pv25pv on April 05, 2014, 12:30:24 PM
the 'real sensor upgrade' :D
... it is coming at a company near you. It is the legendary EOS 5D MarkIV  :D :D :D

You''ll just have to wait a couple of years  ;D

Walter Schulz

I don't think a1ex is suffering from prima aprilis praecox (IANAL). Still waiting for the bang and if it's the sound of a balloon popping ... well, I've done worse in times ...

U-Type

There are tons of comparison videos out there, but I still wanted to do one for myself.
Not a super technical comparison either, because I didn't set the normal H.264 picture style to be most editable, nor did I record with all keyframes mode.

I finally got a fast enough card for 1920x960 24p continuous RAW recording (Lexar 1066x 32gb CF).
This is using the March 17 build of ML for 5Dm3 1.2.3

It's worked quite well, no pink frames or dropped frames for me.
Recorded in MLV 2.0 format without sound
Converted MLV to DNG with MLV Mystic
Edited in Lightroom
Final editing done with Premiere

www.youtube.com/watch?v=esmxEm2R56E

For those who prefer vimeo, here's the vimeo link, but it's in 720p
https://vimeo.com/91064331

Audionut

Hi U-Type,

Thanks for the share.  In the future, please consider sharing your video in the appropriate section.

This way, this thread remains focused on development.

Thanks.

thomasdiak

I have 1.2.3 installed, everything seems to be working generally, but I'm having a lot of trouble recording at decent resolutions at 50/60fps. I'm recording to a new SanDisk Extreme Pro CF card (http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-CompactFlash-Memory-Card/dp/B00ECEVFFO/) but I'm unable to record at 1920x672 (1920x1080 when stretched by 1.61x in post) at 59.940fps.

The ML menu footer says this requires 129.0 MB/s, the card is supposed to feature a 150 MB/s write speed, so what am I missing?! I'm finding I have to dial things back to 1344x470 for the footer message to turn green, at which point the predicted bandwidth is 63.1 MB/s - surely this CF card should be able to handle more?

Stedda

Run a disk benchmark on your computer on that card I bet it's not even close to the rating. This is generally the same for all cards. Plus I don't see too many people if anyone getting full res shots at 60p only at 24/30.

It's not ML its false advertising... or wishful thinking...
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

chris_overseas

Quote from: thomasdiak on April 06, 2014, 06:30:26 PMThe ML menu footer says this requires 129.0 MB/s, the card is supposed to feature a 150 MB/s write speed, so what am I missing?!

The 5D3 is only capable of writing to CF cards at about 100MB/s, regardless of how fast your card is.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

drjlo

Quote from: a1ex on March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Uninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.

- uninstallation is equally easy (update firmware and follow the instructions)

When I try to uninstall ML from 5D III (1.2.3) by going to Wrench menu=> "firmware version"=> then I get the message "Memory card containing firmware is required to update" even though the memory card with ML is inside the camera.

I don't get the "instructions" to follow to uninstall.  What am I missing?  Should I just go to "Format card" and choose "Format card. remove ML" option?

The reason I am trying to uninstall ML is I still cannot get auto image display after taking the shot, which is a real time-waster. 

Audionut

Quote from: drjlo on April 07, 2014, 03:39:39 AM
When I try to uninstall ML from 5D III (1.2.3) by going to Wrench menu=> "firmware version"=> then I get the message "Memory card containing firmware is required to update" even though the memory card with ML is inside the camera.

Make sure the firmware file is on the card.

ML5D3123.FIR

Quote from: drjlo on April 07, 2014, 03:39:39 AM
The reason I am trying to uninstall ML is I still cannot get auto image display after taking the shot, which is a real time-waster.

This functionality is working fine here.  Try adjusting the image review setting, powering off/on the camera.  Or, try resetting Canon settings.

drjlo

Quote from: Audionut on April 07, 2014, 04:54:09 AM
Make sure the firmware file is on the card.

ML5D3123.FIR

This functionality is working fine here.  Try adjusting the image review setting, powering off/on the camera.  Or, try resetting Canon settings.

Thanks. 
All my issues seemed to have gone away once I formatted the card, reset the camera to factory defaults, then reinstalled ML.  Thank goodness this did not clear my C1-C3 custom settings and Lens AFMA values  :)

thomasdiak

Quote from: Stedda on April 06, 2014, 07:06:01 PM
Run a disk benchmark on your computer on that card I bet it's not even close to the rating. This is generally the same for all cards. Plus I don't see too many people if anyone getting full res shots at 60p only at 24/30.

Thanks - what is a good utility to run a disk benchmark (Mac)? I've used AJA System Test and saw some pretty shocking results - with a 1GB sample file, averaging around 28-30MB/s write speed, and 36-38MB/s read speed. That could be a limit of running the test through a USB2 card reader though right?

Quote from: chris_overseas on April 07, 2014, 02:56:35 AM
The 5D3 is only capable of writing to CF cards at about 100MB/s, regardless of how fast your card is.

I'm not even close to that limit though - captures seem to drop out at around 70MB/s, almost 100MB/s below my card's theoretical limit.

I realize capturing 1080p at 50/60fps may be wishful thinking (Is it? Has anyone done it?) but surely I should be able to handle more than the 60~MB/s I'm currently seeing. Is there a list of ML settings that are critical to handling higher data rates?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: thomasdiak on April 07, 2014, 03:25:49 PM
That could be a limit of running the test through a USB2 card reader though right?

Yes. USB 2.0 is good for 60 MByte/s data rate in theory only. Practical ceiling (overhead issue) is about 38 MByte/s.

Ciao
Walter