Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

And now do it again with plain nightly build.

timbytheriver

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

Walter Schulz

Just to be sure:
@5D3.123 owners in possession of a 1066x card: Do a benchmark run in photo mode outside liveview and post results (best convert BENCHx.PPM to PNG and link it here).

Sganzerla

I really don't know what 'plain vanilla' means (not English native speaker) but using Danne's last page's Feb Build 1.2.3 with an extra bench module I got this:

KOMPUTERBAY 64GB 1066x

LEXAR 128GB 1066x

TRANSCEND 128GB 1066x

dfort

Quote from: Sganzerla on March 09, 2019, 05:56:55 AM
I really don't know what 'plain vanilla' means...

"Plain vanilla" in this case means a Nightly or "unified branch" build. In other words, something basic that is not experimental or modified in any way. One of Danne's builds would go beyond experimental into what is know as a "bleeding edge" build.

Walter Schulz

@Sganzerla: Thanks for testing!
@timbytheriver: There is one test left. I'm guessing you have ML installed on your SD-card and use your CF for storing data. If so: Run ML with CF only and redo benchmark test. Don't expect the numbers to change. It's just the final test before replacing the card.

timbytheriver

@Sganzerla Thank you!
@Walter Righto. Do you mean install ML on the CF card alone – and leave out the SD card? Will try...

Interesting to note the difference in the reported names of my Lexar card (SMI Silicon Corporation) Vs @Sganzerla's (Lexar ATA Flash Card). I suspect mine's a fake...
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

timbytheriver

CF card install alone:

Still very poor...  >:(

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

Danne

Write speed seems not what advertised. Bad card maybe.

timbytheriver

@Danne Yes! Or a fake one... Just noticed mine says 'Made in Vietnam' in tiny printed letters. ???
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

Walter Schulz

Doesn't have to mean anything. We live in a global economy and production sites may be spread all over the world.
IMO the whole "Made in ..." thingy is worthless today.
And Lexar Brand is owned by chinese company Longsys since 2017.

No way (yet) to tell if there is a difference between cards made in different locations.

timbytheriver

@Walter  I guess. I will certainly contact the seller with the evidence.
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

Walter Schulz

Ah, memory flash-back ... (SCNR):
We had this issue before, see https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12630.msg135713#msg135713
Some manufacturer, same ID line and long before transfer of brand to China.

May I ask for a favour? Can you share (= for common use) some high-res photos of the card (CR2 preferred) showing label and front side? I might come up with a tutorial/primer about cards for ML and might be able to use such pics.

timbytheriver

@Walter Very interesting! Same controller ID. Here's link for requested pics: https://we.tl/t-jy6S1romfu
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

timbytheriver

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

timbytheriver

Just received new KomputerBay 1066x 128gb from Amazon. Benchmark much more respectable. Test @45fps continuous (green) 1080p fine. :) Strange that is shows the same ID line as the Lexar though... Odd.  :-\

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

Starclassic

Are IRND filters recommended for the 5Diii? Or is it effective with IR cut?

nikki

In Europe should the camera setting be on PAL even though I'm shooting at 24 FPS?

redfitz

I just ordered a Lexar 1667x SD card in order to test recording MLV to that instead of the slower CF card. However for some reason I'm unable to get ML to record to the SD card. I can record to the SD card fine if I shoot with the Canon software but not from ML regardless whether I have the SD card set as the preferred card or not. I'm using build: magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.5D3123.

Would appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Walter Schulz

Without overclocking 5D3's SD-card interface is limited to about 25 MByte/s.
5D3's card slot has UHS-I interface. Your card hosts UHS-II interface but has to run in UHS-I mode with this camera.

You have to use fast CF-cards (supporting UDMA 7) for maximum bandwidth.

redfitz

That's too bad but understood. Thank you!

chilimac02

Is there any way for me to get the 5diii to keep from powering off? It will go about 30min and then auto power off.

Application: I'm using this as a broadcast camera for a live production and would prefer it just remain powered on until I turn it off (manually).
Rebel SL1/100D... 40mm f/2.8 STM, 18-55mm f/3.5 IS STM, Tamron 70-300mm Di VC USD, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art

Danne

Hydrazine

Just benchmarked a KomputerBay 128gb 1066x, this must be the slowest copy ever...

Is this card defective or am I using the wrong settings?

Walter Schulz

Use a decent UDMA-7 compatible cardreader and CrystalDiskMark (Windows) or Blackmagic Disk Speed Test (macOS) to verify your results.