Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markodarko

Hi Guys,

I've read this entire thread. I currently have a 5D II with ML installed (thank you!) and will be getting a 5D III soon to put ML on it. As far as I can discern the general consensus in this thread is to go with the v1.1.3 firmware and ML build over v1.2.3 but both nightly builds have been updated quite a lot since a1ex posted this thread back in March 2015:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14704.0

May I just ask, is it still the general consensus to go with v1.1.3 over v1.2.3? I won't be doing much (if any) slow-mo shooting and will be predominantly shooting 23.976 the whole time. If I do need slow-mo then it'll be subtle so I'll probably just use a higher shutter and Twixtorize it in post.

My prime concern is stability and having no pink / corrupted frames (something I've experienced on the 5D II but have overcome by turning off Global Draw when recording and using a mask on my Viltrox DC-70 HDMI field monitor to frame the shot) but unfortunately this thread seems split between which is more stable. Some citing v1.1.3 as the most stable, others the opposite.

Obviously, my other prerequisite is to be able to use my HDMI field monitor without issue. I take it that's nothing to do with v1.2.3's ability to output "clean" HDMI and v1.1.3 will still output to a field monitor with no problems?

So, what's the general consensus now, at this moment in time, with regards to which build and firmware to go with?

Cheers,

Mark.

ziggy53

Quote from: markodarko on September 22, 2015, 07:32:26 PM
Hi Guys,

My prime concern is stability and having no pink / corrupted frames (something I've experienced on the 5D II but have overcome by turning off Global Draw when recording and using a mask on my Viltrox DC-70 HDMI field monitor to frame the shot) but unfortunately this thread seems split between which is more stable. Some citing v1.1.3 as the most stable, others the opposite.

Obviously, my other prerequisite is to be able to use my HDMI field monitor without issue. I take it that's nothing to do with v1.2.3's ability to output "clean" HDMI and v1.1.3 will still output to a field monitor with no problems?

So, what's the general consensus now, at this moment in time, with regards to which build and firmware to go with?

According to this page, http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/ (... and selecting the "5D3.123" option)

You should use the Canon v1.2.3 firmware and compatible Magic Lantern software overlay if you need:

"1) Clean HDMI out (ziggy note: This means if you want clean HDMI Out for the purpose of recording the HDMI output onto an external HDMI recorder.*)
2) Dual monitor support
3) AF at f/8 with teleconverters"

If you don't need those things, stay with Canon firmware version 1.1.3 and compatible Magic Lantern overlay. Yes, Canon firmware version 1.1.3 will output to the HDMI port a viewable signal with an external monitor, but the monitor will also display additional camera information.* It will not generally be a preferable video signal to record for editing and color grading purposes.

-------------------------------------------

*OK, the Clean HDMI signal is also a better video quality, as well as not having any additional camera information. For an explanation of the differences:

http://alikgriffin.com/blog/may/04/what-does-clean-hdmi-really-mean-5dmkiii

extremelypoorfilmaker

with my 5D3 plus the 1.2.3 firmware from august 2014 I never had one single corrupted frame! With my cam, is working perfectly

GeoffHD

Hi,
I am very new to ML, infact I have not loaded it at all, anywhere.
I have a Canon 5d Mk111 that has ver 1.3.3. firmware, the latest.
The latest that ML supports is ver 1.2.3, I think.....
If I am on the right track is there a ML version for canons newest firmware, as I can't go back to an older version of firmware (Can I?) 
Unfortunately I am crap at programming, never got my head around BBC basic, how dumb is that...
But this Magic Lantern by all accounts is not something to be ignored.
So if anyone knows if there will be a version coming sometime I would be very interested.
Thanks for reading
Geoff

Walter Schulz

You need EOS Utility v2.x. If you have v3.x installed you may want to get rid of it and download EOS Digital Solution Disk v29.0A or v29.1A from Canon's support site. Download Firmware v1.2.3 or 1.1.3 (both versions are supported and have their pros and cons) using the links provided in Downloads -> Download Nightly Builds.
Connect your cam (photo mode M preferred) to your computer and downgrade via EOS Utility.

greg.crem

Hi guys !

i'm tryin to install ML on my 5DIII which is in 1.2.3 version.
downloaded 5D3.123 ML version.
and when i try to update firmware i got an error message that says i have to go back to 1.1.3...

why ?

Walter Schulz

Looks like you downloaded ML for 5D3.113 and this version is dedicated to firmware version 1.1.3. You need ML for 5D3.123.
Please check file name.

greg.crem

i just check it....  and no, it's ML5D3123.fir

Walter Schulz

Format card in cam, download and extract Canon's original firmware file v1.2.3 to card (use link in download page) and run firmware update.
Wipe file from card, copy extracted nightly build contents to card and run firmware update.
Results?

chrismartin.308

Is there a clean list of what features this build of ML has over the stock Firmware?  In respect to the 5d Mark3.

I have a T3i, and I know for that camera it opens up many features, but the 5d has many more builtin features over the T3i that fill in the gap of what ML offers. 

Thank you in advance.

adrjork

Hi everyone, I'm new here.
It's my first day with Magic Lantern into my 5D3, and I had a movie recording stopped automagically message (when I tried to shoot in crop mode).
This is my set:
-firmware downgraded to 1.2.3;
-2015Apr28 Nightly Built;
-SanDisk Extreme Pro CF 256GB (ExFAT formatted via OSX Utility Disc - NOT in camera) and this is the UNIQUE card in the camera (ML files are stored in the root directory) so the card is in SLOT 1 (so no Low Level Format option possible);
-Canon Menu: Movie rec. size 1920x1080 24p ALL-I;
-Magnification: x5 (ISO and STOPS change into red on the screen);
-ML Menu: Movie > RAW video ON, 3584x1320;
-lens: 35mm f/2.0 IS USM (in ManualFocus mode, but with stabilizer ON).
I press Start button (camera icon on the screen is red) and immediately arrives the message: movie recording stopped automagically.

I tried other resolutions (always with x5 magnification): 2048x1152 gives me 8 or 9 seconds, then again the stopping message (ISO, STOPS and Camera icons always red).

I tried also 1920*1080 in crop mode: 30 seconds with Camera icon yellow, after that icon becomes red, and at 40 seconds again the stopping message.

In FullFrame mode (simply without magnification activated) the Camera icon is green and all works fine.

What could be the issue in crop mode? Perhaps the CF card is not fast enough? (But it declares 150MB/s writing.) Could it be the NOT-in-camera formatting method I used? Perhaps 256GB is too much for the CF card? Could it be something I didn't set correclty in ML menu? Something else?

Please, I hope you want to help me. Thanks.

hjfilmspeed

I thought I read somewhere that the larger cards have inconsistent results. I have been using and old 1000x komputerbay 64 gb. Works great. Need to stock on those if there still recommended. Also lexar has so good 64gb cards too. One other thing that will help is on the 5d3, its best to run ML off and SD card. Oh yeah and with 3k, you wont get many frames. Maybe this will help.

danielschweinert

Does someone has a copy of Canon's 5D Mark III original 1.2.3 firmware? I just can't find it on the internet anymore not even on ftp servers - seems like Canon wiped it everywhere. The only links I've found are scam. I can only find 1.3.3 Thank you!

Btw. this site seems like it's down:  http://pel.hu/eoscard/

drakarys

Hi,

I've just installed the ML in my canon 5d mark iii, And at the beginning it's all right, but when I want to put the second card in the second slot, the camera doesn't works.

I read that you have to introduce the compact flash when the camera say please restart your camera in green color, so turn it off and put the memory card. But in this moment I did and it doesn't turn it on.

The camera never turn it on with 2 memory cards.

Do you know what can I do?

Thanks for all.

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Walter Schulz

Pel.hu is down and this is the very location (and the only one) where ML instructions have links to "older" firmware files.

CraigularB

Quote from: unfilmdeAnyone know why magiclantern-Nightly.2015Jun09.5D3123 (Nightly build 2015 Jun09 5D3123) was pulled for the 5D MKIII with 1.23 firmware?  It's seems to have worked.  I still have it loaded on my camera.

Does anyone know why?

I was actually wondering the same thing. I went to check the 5D3.123 nightlies and noticed not only has the June 09 build been pulled from the menu, the last available 5D3.123 build is from April. unfilmde's post was the only one I could find that mentioned that build being pulled. I also still have the June 09 2015 build for 5D3.123 running on my camera.

I apologize if I've missed something, but has anyone said why that build was pulled or why the 5D3.123 build hasn't been updated since?

RTI

I needed to update my camera from 1.1.3 to 1.2.3 (need AF with F8).
But I'm missing some features from 1.1.3 ML builds, unless I missed them in the menu - can't find the fine tune for the live view image, like contrast and saturation boost. Was very helpful when shooting flat (Cinestyle pic profile).
Canon 5DIII| Sigma 35/1.4|T 24-70/2.8 VC| Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC USD

a1ex

That's one of the reasons I still keep the 1.1.3 build as well (I'm missing them too, which is why I'm running 1.1.3).

a1ex

I've updated the 1.2.3 source code, but I'm too tired to test it. Can anyone with compiling skills take a look at it, before enabling the next nightly build?

Things that might require attention:
- Canon bottom bar should not conflict with ML's (behavior should not change from past builds)
- changing picture style settings from ML, including the "Auto" picture style

Other things worth mentioning, since last build:
- Diffraction-aware DOF info (garry23)
- Fine resolution control in mlv_rec (rbrune)
- AF/MF warning (Andreasb242)
- New installer

Most other changes were either small fixes, refactorings, or things concerning other cameras.

kichetof

Thanks a1ex!
Everything seem to works like a charm! :)
I need to test all picture style and sync them with LR but to tired to try it now!

Thanks for all!

Maybe I forget to merge something, but no full-res for silent picture. An idea ? I forget something, no double level and more, too long that I've not compiling ML  :o

Mysticpuma

Just because I'm not clear on the terminology, does "- no full-screen magic zoom (I never used it anyway, but was nice)"

mean that when you press the 5x or 10x zoom button (for critical focus) that you can no-longer record in that mode? Just asking because I was looking to try it out and rather than dig around trying to find a post somewhere on this huge forum, I just thought I'd ask if that's okay?

Cheers, MP

mothaibaphoto

@Mysticpuma:
No, it doesn't. "Magic zoom" is something that popups on screen when you rotate focus ring in manual focus mode and in crop mode is pretty useless, imho.