WHY I HAVE JUST RECORD 3 SECONDS ON ML 5D MK III?

Started by kotobesola, February 05, 2014, 10:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kotobesola

Hi,

Please help me, I've just installed ML on my canon 5D mkIII sucsessfull and when I push the buton start to record  After 3seconds it's stopped. I don' know why? and every action to record I have'nt that only 3 seconds recorded, (I use CF card 32 go 800X)

Thanks

g3gg0

any error message?
did you delete the config file?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Danne

kotobesola

record to CF card but ML is on SD card.
I have no error message just "movie recording stopped automatically"

kotobesola

a1ex

Raw video never displays "movie recording stopped automatically" (neither raw_rec nor mlv_rec).

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise

g3gg0

that is a canon message.
remove sd card and try again.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

WeekendWarrior

Make sure you have the mlv_rec or raw_rec module turned on. Then you need to set it raw to ON in the ML movie menu, and make sure your cf card is fast enough to write the speeds it requires on the bottom (I use x1000 so I'm not sure how big of a difference the x800 is)

SteveScout

And make sure you set your preferred card slot to CF card in the ML menu setup. Otherwise it might try to write everything onto SD which might not be fast enough.

PeterR

I'm having a similar issue with my 5D MK II + lexar 32gb 1000x CF + ML v2.3NEXT.2014Jan14.5D2212

Although I can record long clips (got upto 25sec in one test...haven't tried longer yet) using the MLV rec, the basic RAW rec option won't do more than a few seconds!  ???

The workflow for MLV is too much of a pain for me so I'd prefer just to do RAW recording for now (plus: there are no benefits to MLV vs RAW as far as I know).

Ideas why and solutions to this limited record time for RAW rec?

Thanks.
GH4 + 5D2 w magic lantern. Davinci Resolve>Premiere Pro>Davinci Resolve workflow

adotphoto

The few times that my camera didnt let me record more than few seconds on raw mode, it's usually in the begining when I first time on my camera. After doing a few clips(you can also use the card warm up feature) I dont run into this issues. So if you've already recorded a few clips, camera has been on for a while, and it still doesnt let you record more than  few seconds it might be a card error. Lexar's are usually pretty reliable though.

PeterR

I tried this and did a bunch of shooting with regular and MLV so the card was plenty "warmed up". Just tried again and got same issue. Any other ideas?
GH4 + 5D2 w magic lantern. Davinci Resolve>Premiere Pro>Davinci Resolve workflow

g3gg0

Quote from: PeterR on February 14, 2014, 09:16:53 PM
Ideas why and solutions to this limited record time for RAW rec?

as you didnt post any information, its hard to help.
video mode?
fps?
which card did you select in photo mode as preferred?
resolution in mlv_rec?
all other options in mlv_rec?
card benchmarkl screenshot?

mlv_snd loaded?

PeterR

Quote from: g3gg0 on February 15, 2014, 01:35:46 PM
as you didnt post any information, its hard to help.
video mode?
fps?
which card did you select in photo mode as preferred?
resolution in mlv_rec?
all other options in mlv_rec?
card benchmarkl screenshot?

mlv_snd loaded?

I'm now only getting 16sec of MLV recording with an error reading "Frame skipped. Stopping." Here are my settings:

video mode: RAW video (MLV)
fps: 24
which card did you select in photo mode as preferred: this is a 5D mark ii... there is no secondary card option. Just one CF card.
resolution in mlv_rec: 1872x1054
all other options in mlv_rec: global draw: off, preview: auto, extra hacks: on, buffer fill method: 4, reserve card space: on, everything else is off within RAW video mlv
card benchmarkl screenshot: running it right now ... will post soon

Midphase

5D2 can't handle continuous recording at that resolution. Simple as that.

PeterR

Quote from: Midphase on February 19, 2014, 07:24:38 PM
5D2 can't handle continuous recording at that resolution. Simple as that.

Thanks Midphase. However in the MLV raw video menu when I try to select 1920x1080 the message at the bottom of the screen reads, "1920 is not possible in current video mode (max 1872)." and below that (in yellow font) reads: "78.9mb.s at 23.97p. Expect around 0 frames at 67.4mb/s".

So there's two things going on here that I'm confused about. First, is regarding your reply that the 5D mark 2 can't record at 1872, and yet the ML software leads me to assume it can. Is this a ML error or ... ?

Secondly, the lexar 1000x 32gb card should easily read the required 78.9mb/s.... so I'm confused why ML states to expect 0 frames at 67.4mb/s.... which to me means ML software thinks my card is only capable of 67.4mb/s and as such won't even let me record at higher res.

Here's a screen shot of my read/write test (I didn't know how to do a screen grab from the camera...). Note that write speeds are well over 67mb:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rbtgfyihltkzuc6/2014-02-19%2012.09.52.jpg

Midphase

What the card can do vs. what the camera can write are two very different things. For instance, even though on my 5D3 I can easily record 1920X1288 with sound, using the same card on a 5D2 only yields continued 24p recording at 2.35:1 aspect ratio at 1872. The camera simply can not record much more than that.

Further, MLV is slightly slower since it's also trying to write some additional metadata alongside the video.

ML options give you plenty of choices, but it doesn't mean that your camera can handle them for any appreciable length of time. Sure you can shoot 2.5K on a 5D2, but it will only last a few seconds at best.

So forget about what your card says on the spec sheet, and forget about what the options that you are given are. In order to achieve continuous shooting, you will need to downsize the resolution until you find the highest one that works on your camera.

P.S.

No need to take a photo of your screen benchmarks, the bmp file is automatically saved on the card for you.

reddeercity

@PeterR
Plain and simple the Max. resolutions on a 5D2 with MLV is 1872x936+audio 23.976p continuous on 64GB Lexar 1000x
With HDMI attach its 1856x928+audio 23.976 continuous on 64GB Lexar 1000x
On A.D. MLV Build from Feb 4th.
You will Not get 1872x1058 for more then a few second.
5D2 with MLV format is limited to about 65-70 MB/s write speed that's it.
The New build from a.d. have support now for 1792x####  for a 1.85:1 A.R.
which is continuous.
So you need to Understand Your Camera's limitations and Read all documentations
For ML Raw
Remember as ML mlv is being developed the Code will get better & faster as things go.  :)

PeterR

@Midphase: Thanks for clarifying. Now things are making sense. I guess in order to maintain 16:9 aspect ratio, looks like the fastest my Canon 5D2 can record to the lexar 1000x at 24p is at a resolution of 1792x1008, which tells me to expect dropped frames at 2585-7370 frames in. That's a good thing since most of my clips are shorter than 30 seconds (720 frames) anyway. If I need to record longer, I can just drop it down one notch to 1728x972 and shouldn't drop any frames.

Thanks. This really helped.

@reddercity: Thanks. It's all coming together now.  :D  I look forward to continual improvements.

@produceurfilm

To answer the very first question in the forum. It records only 3 seconds because you are recording to your sd card. The Canon default menu automatically chooses the sd card as the card of choice to record and as with my camera the camera cuts off quickly with an error. Go to your Canon menu and choose your CF card for recording and you should be good to go from there.

Off subject can anyone tell me why my raw recordings playback in a faster speed once I go through the post process and import it into Premiere Pro CC? I really wanna shoot a film using it but no luck thus far. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you... 

reddeercity

@Produceurfilm, not sure what you are asking ? Are you using Cdng's or dng's ,
Are you using the After Effect/Premiere Pro work-around or are just ingesting dng's directly
in to Premiere Pro ? Need to know some more information then we can help.