It is possible Genlock Master and Slave Module (For 3d Shooting)?

Started by CaronteGF, March 03, 2014, 04:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaronteGF

I all. I donĀ“t speak English very well, please give me a chance to explain myself.

I heard the most importat problem trying to shoot in 3d with Canon DSLR is the "sync" problem with both images. I see a lot of tests recording with silimar cameras and IR Control to start recording just in the same moment, cofiguring both IR at the same frecuency.

My question is, it is technically possible make a Module who says the other camera when start reccord and when start to draw every single pic? The conecction between cameras is possible with Mini-Usb2Mini-Usb (A lot of Android Apps uses that interface to connecto Tablets/Smartphones to a Single Camera).

I think the other big problem is about focus, but we already have a Module to control the AF with the arrow keys. Of course we have to make a particular "rig" with the exact angle for each focal distance (even for each particular lense)

What do you thnk about it?

CaronteGF

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 08, 2013, 12:49:50 PM
the main problem i see is to measure the delay of the audio driver etc (DMA, I2S, DAC and the other way respectively ADC, I2S, DMA).
i dont know how to *reliable* quantify the delay in every single step.
we barely know how they work and getting a clear picture of all the delays would take about 2 weeks i guess.
plus we would need measurement equipment (e.g. a picoscope)

when knowing all this, all we can do with software and the current understanding would be some kind of soft sync, which is not a real genlock.
softsync means, we measure how much we are off the source clock and try to correct the delays so the exposure start is close to the audio trigger.
still the real exposure start can also jitter and we dont know how much that is again.

audio signal --> ADC --> I2S --> DMA --> software --> exposure timer --> software --> exposure start

and every single element in that queue is probably running asynchronously with unknown delays and jitter.

So, yes. It is possible a Soft Sync.

Thank you, g3gg0 and a1ex, and sorry for the almost duplicate post.