Is it critical to remove genuine Canon BG-E6 Battery Grip before installing ML

Started by Bob Cooper, March 03, 2014, 12:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Cooper

Hi guys,

First time here and looking forward to using Magic Lantern, however, I just have one quick question before installing it and that is, is it critical to remove a genuine Canon BG-E6 Battery Grip before installing Magic Lantern on my 5D MKII.
The reason I ask is that the rotating plastic mount on the battery grip mounting screw has stripped and I cannot actually remove the assembly from the camera without somehow cutting through the locking screw and destroying the whole unit (way too expensive an exercise to do that).
The battery grip is mounted firmly in position, using genuine Canon batteries and I have never had a problem with it.
Any advice regarding the advisability of continuing with the install would greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bob

ItsMeLenny

You shouldn't screw that thing in so hard.

I think it's not advised as it doesn't get tested.
But I can't see a reason why it should be a problem.

It should be fine.
But wait for a second opinion.

1%

I don't see how it would be an issue even with a non genuine grip... it just has to keep power on while you do the firmware update.

Any problem would be from batteries reporting the wrong level and dying during the procedure which is mainly for non-chipped batteries.

Bob Cooper

Many thanks to those who replied, I took a chance, left the battery grip attached (which wasn't an option anyway) and continued with the install and it succeeded with no apparent problems at this stage.
All functions in ML appear to be working and camera operation appears normal, it even left Live View and back button focusing active as per my previous settings.

I will post if any ugly issues raise their head.

Thanks again

Bob :) :D :) :D :) :D

chris_overseas

As another data point, I installed ML on my 5D3 with a Canon battery grip attached, housing one Canon and one aftermarket battery - no problems. I've been using it like that for months (including many different nightly and custom builds) without problems either. The only issue I've seen is that ML reports the battery level for only one battery in the grip, or if that battery isn't present it reports the battery level as being at 100%.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II