question about 5D3 nighlies and which card to install

Started by Tikigod19, February 28, 2014, 01:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikigod19

hi all I usually have my ML installed on my sd and record video to CF card but I have just noticed that I must have forgotten to put my CF card in the camera so as a result ML is on the SD (seems to work fine) but also my images and videos are on the same card.

Is it safe to do things this way or should I use the SD just for ML? In which case do I just delete the DCIM and MISC folder and leave ML. 5D3-113-boogflag.fir, autoexec.bin and ROM.DAT?

OR

Do I leave the DCIM and MISC folder on the SD card?

I read about it I format the card ML will install back into the card on its own but I suspect this is for the stable release and not the 5D3 version is that correct?

Thanks in advance

Tikigod19

in fact.. after copying the images and video to my pc and deleting them via card reader, when I now insert the SD card back into the camera it did not turn on at all. I plugged it back into my PC and deleted the DCIM and MISC folders and it now SEEMS to boot up and work ok.. ML certainly loads but I have a very important filming task tomorrow so if anybody can confirm if there is a way to just check the install is working and I haven't caused a problem that would be much appreciated.

Tikigod19

I literally never get any replies on this forum. Don't think I'll bother

Audionut

You can install ML on any card.  I think it's fairly standard process to have ML installed on the (slow) SD card, leaving the (fast) CF card free for image/video capture.  This way the CF card can be formatted without worrying about the ML installation.

Previously, ML would not install itself after a format in camera.  This has now changed, with the latest bleeding-edge build for the 5D3.

If you have the bootflag installed on the card, but do not have the ML files on the card, the camera will not boot.

The DCIM/MISC folders are Canon folders, they have nothing to do with ML.

Generally, the significance, of the importance, you place on your question, is generally, inversely proportional, to the speed of your question being answered.  Also, you will find that the most helpful users of forums, don't bother to reply to duplicate questions.

Cheers.

Tikigod19

i appreciate your reply. I dont know what it is with the ML forums but i can never seem to find the answers to my questions like I can on other forums.. maybe it goes over my head. :S