cannot install the raw module/5d mkii

Started by mrbassman, February 25, 2014, 07:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbassman

Hi,
After an easy install of ML 2.3 on my 5DmkII, cannot seem to add the raw module and few things I cannot figure out:
-In the ml-5d2-raw.zip file, the ML folder has modules, scripts and settings subfolders of which the modules folder has the magic.sym
and raw_rec.mo which I know i need to enable raw recording. After replacing the autoexec.bin file in the original ML download with the one in the ml-5d2-raw.zip file, then:
-When I copy the 'modules,scripts and the settings' subfolders on the root directory of the CF card, the camera doesn't even boot.
-When I copy 'modules,scripts and the settings' subfolders into the original ML folder, still no boot.
-When I copy just the magic.sym and raw_rec.mo onto the root folder same thing, no boot.
-When I copy just the magic.sym and raw_rec.mo into the original ML folder, guessed right, no boot.
-When I just replace the autoexec.bin file, the ML says the modules folder is missing..
Frankly, I'm running out of permutations as to where's left to be copied upon..

Any help is appreciated and if you could, please point out the directories as clearly as you can?

Regards.

dmilligan

go to http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

download the most recent version for your camera, unzip, and copy the entire contents of that to your card (delete any and all ML files currently on your card)

mrbassman

Thanks, getting rid of the initial ML folder and replacing it with the new one which has the modules subfolder did solve the problem. But still seems
to be recording .mov h.264 files rather than RAW although I did load the raw module and enabled it? I'm currently going through all the tutorials on the net but
can't seem to find a comprehensive guide to ML.

ted ramasola

Heres a link to a guide which I helped make the 5d2 portion.
http://www.dvxuser.com/guides/ml_raw_guide_5DIII_full.pdf

If theres something on it you don't understand just point it out.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

mrbassman

Thank you!
That is something I've gone through right now but tell me, why am I still getting lousy .mov files from the camera when I'm supposedly recording 14-bit RAW?
I must be doing something wrong as i cannot seem to bump into anyone on the forums asking a dumb question like myself... still searching, though.
Cheers.

ted ramasola

what version of ML are you running now?

tell me what is marked OK in the modules tab.

tell me what is green on your movie tab.

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

mrbassman

Hi,
I'm on ML 2.3 NEXT 2014 Feb25.5d2212, the latest and everything on the modules list is enabled. They are :
-autoexpo
-deflick
-dot_tune
-dual_iso
-ettr
-file_man
-mlv_rec
-raw_rec
Also, still too many questions: not only the camera still records .mov files instead of RAW, cannot get ML on another card. I just got myself a Transcend 32 Gb 1000X and cannot format the card in the camera. I can format it in another Canon 450D and can put files on it but 5DmkII does not accept it. Cannot even turn on the camera. What gives?
Any ideas on these matters?
Cheers.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: mrbassman on February 26, 2014, 07:45:55 PM
not only the camera still records .mov files instead of RAW

Loading the module doesn't start RAW video mode. There will be a RAW item in the video tab which has to be set to ON afterwards.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: mrbassman on February 26, 2014, 07:45:55 PMI can format it in another Canon 450D and can put files on it but 5DmkII does not accept it. Cannot even turn on the camera. What gives?

The card has to be bootable. Copying the files doesn't do it.

mrbassman

Yes, the tab is also on in the video panel and I think the RAW recording is solved but it still records .mov + RAW which is weird... with the second card, what I don't understand is I can format the card in a different Canon DSLR but cannot do the same in 5DmkII, weird number two... but I'll keep digging.

Walter Schulz

Formating the card in the cam won't make the card bootable, too. You need to do this or ML won't run from this card.

mrbassman

Could you explain how to make the card bootable if i can't even format it in the camera? I'm definitely missing something here. Also, I had a RAW file among many assorted unix files transferred from the camera but now it's gone back to recording .mov!
This whole process has a steep patience curve when it comes to pure functionality, hope I can crack it soon..

dmilligan

Use EOSCard (Windows) or macboot (Mac) to make the card bootable

mrbassman

Many thanks for trying to help me out guys,
@dmilligan: yes, I've been trying with macboot but couldn't succeed. I'm sure it's me doing something wrong but I'll figure it out.
Tell me this, though: I'm still having problems getting RAW files out of the camera. My settings are all correct but it still records .mov. It did output RAW data once
among a number of assorted files (mainly unix exec. files) WITH .mov (yes, both!) but now cannot get RAW out at all...
I'm thinking of doing a fresh install of ML with the 32Gb un-bootable card and see whether I can get that to work but see what I can achieve this time..

Walter Schulz

Delete card's ML folder, download recent build to your computer, expand it and write AUTOEXEC.BIN from repository to card and copy ML directory to card's root. Enable RAW_REC.MO, restart, configure RAW in the movie tab and give it another try.

mrbassman

Deleted/re-installed, everything seems OK in the menus, all enabled, still get a damn .mov file AND a RAW file which is pitch black/nothing on it- only quarter long of the .mov file as
far as the duration is concerned.. I'm thinking of starting a new thread as I cannot seem to find anyone suffering from this kind of problem on the forums.

Walter Schulz

Set cam to factory defaults (including Fn), delete file ML\SETTINGS\MAGIC.CFG, remove battery, reinsert battery and turn cam on.

reddeercity

What Version of ML are you using ? what build date of Raw/MLV ?
You should not have any problems, so something is not setup right or
Bad install on card, if you could in point form explain how you prepared your card
How did to  make the card bootable? ,what modules did you load ?
If you can share with me the details I can help trouble shoot the problem.   

mrbassman

Hi,
I'm on ML 2.3 NEXT 2014 Feb25.5d2212. I think I've followed the instructions correctly: First got the camera firmware updated, then formatted the card in the camera/ installed the basic ML 2.3 on the card via card reader/ put the card back in the camera and had seen the ML Success green page very quickly/ then updated the .bin file and the ML folder which contains all the modules on the card via card reader/ repeated the install process in the camera from the card/ enabled  -autoexpo -deflick -dot_tune -dual_iso -ettr -file_man -mlv_rec -raw_rec.

@walter schultz: I've done exactly that and deleted magic cfg./removed the battery right now and I still get a .mov file with 4 different RAW files with different sizes which are all pitch black. Something's definitely not right. When I'm recording video I don't see any ML functions on the back screen anymore, which I used to before I've deleted the magic.cfg file and when I zoom 5x or 10x, the screen turns purple! So much that you can hardly see what's going on. I know for a fact that Zeiss 35 1.4 has a slight magenta shift but certainly not that much!
All in all, I'm not giving up, shooting RAW video on a 35mm censor is something I cannot walk away from and hopefully with the help of very helpful folk like yourselves, I believe I'll get there.. :)

p.s. Is it normal to see the RAW files only on the card reader as the picture downloader of Bridge CC doesn't seem to find them?

Cheers, guys.

mrbassman

just to give you an idea as to why i cannot record raw maybe lies in these photos (down below the links)
As you can see, raw video and rec key within the movie tab are not green and i cannot change them, although all the modules are on (the other pic)
and when I try to record by half-pressing the shutter, as you can guess it doesn't do anything. When I press the set key on the back wheel, it just records .mov files..
What can I do to remedy this, pretty please?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doghouse_reilly/12875605344/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/doghouse_reilly/12875269693/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/doghouse_reilly/12875603814/

Walter Schulz

Why on earth enabling MLV_REC.MO *and* RAW_REC.MO *together*?

EDIT:
On second thought: Kudos for following dmilligan's post to the letter.
"Try to break a feature. Think of as many possible scenarios as you can. Throw everything you can think of at a feature to break it. Try every value of every setting."
Worst abuse of ML settings EVER! Wouldn't have even thought about testing this one ...

mrbassman

Found it. I had forgotten to leave the auto switch off to 1min. in the Canon menu. That helped, but thanks for pointing that one as well, MLV`-REC.MO is now off.
My lousy Sandisk 8Gb 60mB/S card can only shoot 165 frames/roughly 6secs. before the camera screams, waiting for a Lexar now.
Many thanks for the input, getting there with your help!
Cheers.