Could the current Digic 5+ cameras have an built-in crop mode?

Started by Luigi_xp, February 23, 2014, 03:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luigi_xp

I've thinking around a moment... About the EOS 1DC. (Yes i know the ML team will not work on then, but it's only used as a concept here)
Well, it's an 1DX with a different firmware. Same sensor, board, processors, etc, just the firmware and a different heatsink.
But... It has an S-35 1080p crop... it's 1080p, but it's incredible sharp compared to the full frame 1080p and make it look like it has passed an blur filter.
But if the 1DC was never designed to do that and it's added on firmware or as a feature on the Digic 5+ cameras?
You can't shoot a picture while in 4k mode because... it bypass the h.264 and use the bulit-in JPEG encoder for pictures...
The S-35 mode is h.264, but man, it's sharp everywhere i've seen
The encoding engine is different from the Digic 5(non +) and Digic 4 as i've seen on real world tests (far more efficient) and also techincal (uses IPB compression, which is bidirectional and needs far more processing than the IPP on older cameras which only references back frames).
So, chances are the Digic 5+ have some features hidden...
Just something i've thinking on, because maybe a high sharpness crop mode exists on all Digic 5+ cameras, just disabled and we don't know?
What you guys think of this?
100D.100A

1%

EOS-M and 650D have a crop mode.. maybe others. Whatever modes are in the FW are what is there. For instance 6D and 5DIII do not have any kind of crop you can activate. Each camera has a fixed number of video modes/timings for sensor readout and a bunch of code goes with those.

The only way anything custom is possible would be to reconfigure the sensor via digic registers and use ML to record the result.