Trials with the new ported 5D3 1.2.3 canon firmware and ML

Started by Markus, February 20, 2014, 10:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markus

Seems that the new ported ML-version works pretty good. HDMI info-bars seems to be misaligned efter hdmi output changes though. Anyone else trying out this out?

a1ex

Markus

Right now I was testing if the firmware update would remove a strange bug that halts recording after around 160gb of rec on my komputerbay 1200x card. Could this be related to ML?
(same results with both 113 and 123 firmware)

Markus

a1ex

Got it. Didn't check anything on the HDMI side yet; it just believes it has the old behavior. I've expected worse things (like not displaying anything at all, or complete gibberish).

Now the entire image covers a 16:9 screen, right?

Are zebras following the image? (here I have doubts).

Card size: mine is a 32 GB, so can't really check. Does it happen with raw_rec, mlv_rec or both?

Markus

About HDMI:
The whole picture size on the screenshot represents total display area. The gray border is were we see the 16:9 video picture. so the infobars are on top of the video instead of above and below. the extra line in black by the raw histogram is also on top of the picture.

Zebras follow the image with hdmi monitor.

Markus

About the strange shutdown bug:
Just realized 164GB in 25fps mlv with sound is equates to about 30min. Has this a relation to the 29:59 limit or just coincidence?
The soundfile was 30min and 4 sek in length...

Markus

Shut down bug also present when using Raw rec module.
Shutdown after 44976frames / 25fps = 1799,04 sek / 60sek = 29,984 min!
0,984*60 = 59.04
So shutdown after 29:59!
29:59 Limit or coincidence?

primemultimedia

As far as I know the camera will shut down live view after 29.59 regardless of recording h.264 or just idle (or recording raw). I believe there is a workaround using sticky shutter to keep live view on for longer. Maybe give that a go

Markus

Quote from: primemultimedia on February 21, 2014, 01:00:18 AM
As far as I know the camera will shut down live view after 29.59 regardless of recording h.264 or just idle (or recording raw). I believe there is a workaround using sticky shutter to keep live view on for longer. Maybe give that a go

Oki must be that. Is that a module? havn't heard of sticky shutter.

a1ex

Okay, so the problem is when shutting down LiveView in the middle of recording.

Did you have to take the battery out, or recording stopped cleanly?

MillTech

Hello

Where is the information about the new 1.2.3 port? I have read through the last few pages of the nightly build thread and seen this development referenced as a "milestone", and now i see this thread here, but i cant see a 1.2.3 download in the nightly builds and nor can i find any more information about it. Am i missing something?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is an irritating question. I know developers find people like me, who dont fully grasp where everything is, annoying.

M

Walter Schulz

Markus

Quote from: a1ex on February 21, 2014, 07:40:46 AM
Okay, so the problem is when shutting down LiveView in the middle of recording.

Did you have to take the battery out, or recording stopped cleanly?

The problem is that canon shuts down live view after 29:59 regardless of energy saving being deactivated. By pressing halv shutter button  the countdown refreshes. Sticky shutter function works as a workaround but a better solution would be if it is possible to write a code that "presses" the half-shutter button every  10min or so. Then if this function could be placed as an "keep alive" option in raw rec and mlv rec module.

No clean stop, had to take out the battery. Sometimes the raw file was on the card and sometimes it had gone missing.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Markus on February 21, 2014, 02:06:54 PM
Sticky shutter function works as a workaround but a better solution would be if it is possible to write a code that "presses" the half-shutter button every  10min or so. Then if this function could be placed as an "keep alive" option in raw rec and mlv rec module.

In the mkII its in the Pref tab. > Misc key settings > Sticky Half Shutter. I don't know if that is there on the mkIII.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Markus

Ted: Yes there is a option that locks half press but that also places the canon info on top of MLs info. Im suggesting it just automatically presses every 20min or so. Another solution would be to use the present sticky shutter function if you could make it invisible. Sticky shutter in stealth mode =).

Markus

Another good side effect with sticky shutter is that if you use the thumbwheel for iso control you always maintain direct control over iso without having to "wake up" that control by pressing half-shutter button first. =)