DIGIC overclock by ML?

Started by Luiz Roberto dos Santos, February 07, 2014, 09:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Hi everybody!
I just thinking other day: in some part of ML codes the DIGIC is overclocked, or somewhat, or not? I don't know how this will help, but maybe the encode of h.264 more fast, more bitrate can be pushed?

nanomad

We do not over clock the arm CPU and I don't think the clock matters much for H264 encoding as it's done by dedicated hardware anyway
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Could overclock be benefited with this hardware? I understand it's a bit dangerous, considering that there users of countries with extremely high temperatures, which could overheat the system, but perhaps this speed benefit functionality somehow?
I do not see how, but I'm just throwing things in the air ...

Maybe there was a gain on features that are automated, such as Auto focus and auto exposure? And the noise reduction on jpeg and h.264?

See on wiki:
QuoteDIGIC 4

Canon claims improvements such as:

Much faster image processing when compared to previous processors
    Improved noise reduction in high-ISO images
    Improved performance while handling larger 14-bit RAW images
    Live Face Detection AF during Live View
    H.264 1080p encoding

::)

a1ex

Did you ever overclock your CPU and got better noise reduction in photoshop because of that?

You have just earned a nice red troll label ;)

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Not even a1ex, I'm trying to get somewhere.
If you could interpret, higher clocks can process more complex code. If the noise reduction given by Canon may change soon, with higher processing powers that can be improved.
DIGIC processing noise reduction, no? Wiki says that.

I'm not trying to troll anything, just acquire  this knowledge about ML.  :-*

Also, do not think so unlikely that it can be improved when says about the AF.

edit: I'm not looking for any label or status here, I'm looking for quality. You as the owner of an open source project should know better identify identification true trolls.

dmilligan

Walter Schulz

I don't like cooked RAW and it doesn't matter if the chef is named Canon DRYOS or Magic Lantern.
The only NR officially applied to RAW is longtime exposure noise reduction by dark frame aquisition. And I would prefer to get this one in a second file.

Ciao
Walter

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Guys, it is clear that I am not talking about complex processing RAW matter!
The processes that speak of NR are simple processes applied to JPEG, for example, or H.264 (what I think to be more difficult in real time). I'm not saying to create a "non-local algorithm" within the scripts ML! No, I'm not troll guys. I'm talking about simple NR, the same by canon but improve, just it.

Quote from: dmilligan on February 07, 2014, 02:27:38 PM
So it must be true.

Irony detected.  :P
I'm sorry, I have no expertise.

a1ex

So... did you figure out how to program the image processing chip?

Walter Schulz

Don't hear that much complies about JPEG NR in stills.
Conclusion: You're thinking about RAW video capture converted to h.264 or else by ML?

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Quote from: a1ex on February 07, 2014, 02:45:39 PM

Good a1ex if you do not want comments n00bs should close the forum, because I believe that's what it is for. Otherwise, transfer all of the ML codes for a non index page on onion and live in peace, just posting the change log and nightly.

I'm sorry, I know how to be stressful to manage such a large project like this, I know you must be bursting with so many useless questions like this, but please keep temperance.

I repeat, I'am not a developer, I'am a user with questions and with motivation to help with this.

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 07, 2014, 02:49:07 PM
Don't hear that much complies about JPEG NR in stills.
Conclusion: You're thinking about RAW video capture converted to h.264 or else by ML?

On middle process, maybe a interference by the ML...

Greg

You need to increase the voltage to improve stability at higher MHz.
Try to hook up the battery from the 1Dx (11.1V).
This can speed up the AF, lens to get more voltage.

I am not responsible for damaged cameras.  :D

Stedda

How about 4K?

Is it ready yet?

::)

I can't say I have ever waitied for a jpeg to process on 5D III, 7D, T2i, or EOS M.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Luiz Roberto dos Santos on February 07, 2014, 02:55:30 PMOn middle process, maybe a interference by the ML...

I cannot even imagine what kind of stuff the devs are able to do without messing Canon's firmware. Therefore I will let the devs have their say.
Not overwhelmed by the prospect of better NR in Canon's H.264, though.

Ciao
Walter

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on February 07, 2014, 02:45:39 PM

Please save this for ML's april's fool joke - ML overclocks DIGIC to achieve 4k raw video :->

Walter Schulz

That's much too predictable. What about
"ML turns 5D Mark III into beamer!
Discovering some hidden superstrings inside the DIGIC processor the developers were able to reverse entropy locally thus turning the sensor chip into a powerful LED array.
Another feature of this newest discovery: Battery will not be drained but loaded during operation!"?

Ciao
Walter

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Continuing your comments... "And new studies are declared to be so promising that it is now possible to create images almost noiselessly, with peak SNR never seen before. Quantum physics applied to software, perhaps? Are only a1ex and Marsu42 know and say it." He continues: "It seems that no limits, 4K RAW at 60fps, non-cropped via HDMI out!".
So funny your comments, please continue, are really good; hahaha.

1%

I'd like to overclock the arm cpu and see if pink frames/indicators/etc do better + not at 80-100% load. But this came up at least a year ago and g3gg0 said:

1. Clock setting is in the boot loading part of the FW.
2. It was already clocked pretty much all the way up.

a1ex

The quantum physics effects are being studied here: www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111

This part might benefit from underclocking (din't find a good reference on it though, so I'm not sure about it)

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

;D

Thanks for the responses guys.

SDX

Quote from: a1ex on February 07, 2014, 06:33:30 PM
This part might benefit from underclocking (din't find a good reference on it though, so I'm not sure about it)

I checked, and Wikipedia said it to be so :P

a1ex

I found it on some forum (don't remember the link), and Audionut mentioned it too. Since Wikipedia is supposed not to contain original research, I'm interested in the references cited on the page you found.

I tried to mess with some timers, but only got the same effect as MLU hand-held delay. Of course, these timers are used for the well-known FPS override, which basically increases the exposure time and maybe the amount of rolling shutter, but doesn't seem to change the pixel clock. It's probably hidden somewhere in the ADTG registers.

1%

Underclock would be cool too if the camera ran better.

SDX

Quote from: dmilligan on February 07, 2014, 02:27:38 PM
"Quote from: Luiz Roberto dos Santos on Today at 02:09:59 PM
Wiki says that."
So it must be true.