7D Focus Box Movement Issues

Started by Bipedal, February 15, 2015, 04:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bipedal

Sorry to bother everyone, I've been having trouble with a certain thing with ML across clean installs, even.

Whenever I use the little hat switch to try to move the focus box in video mode, my entire overlay flashes, and the box doesn't go much of anywhere. This also stops me from using the picture style button to get access to the 4 way shortcuts.

If I really smash on the thing and rotate it around like nuts, it seems to "catch" and I can get the box to move (not very accurately). Enabling/disabling all the focus box settings doesn't change this. If I'm in a non-ML overlay display mode, it works like normal.

Anyone have any Ideas? Is there any other info I can provide that would help diagnose this?

Walter Schulz

I just tried to reproduce your issue and failed.

Backup your ML\Settings directory and delete all files inside from card. Retry. If your problem still exists: Please use a second cam or a smartphone to record what is going on. Upload it somewhere and link it here.

Bipedal

Yeah, I've got a freshly formatted card with the latest nightly copied fresh to it.
Thanks for helping out. Here's a video of the behaviour I'm experiencing:

Walter Schulz

Try resetting cam to factory defaults (including C.Fn settings) and retry. If problem is still there: Zip your ML\Settings directory, upload it and link it here. Which ML version are you using?

Bipedal

I've reset custom functions and Canon settings to default, that doesn't help me either unfortunately, that's what's driving me so batty.

Currently running Nightly.2015Jan29.7D203, unfortunately I've had this for as long as I can remember (since probably just after support for the 7D was released).

Here's my ML folder zipped up on gdrive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6ykx9dUXSfMMkItdTBXTDdFX1k&authuser=0

Walter Schulz

Delete contents of ML\Settings and retry.

Bipedal

Good to go now. I'm stepping through my settings and changing one at a time, we'll see if any of them start it back again.

Does the nightly come with a pre-generated set of .cfgs in that folder? I figured a fresh install would be the same as deleting my settings, but obviously it isn't.

Thank you very much for your help and patience.

EDIT: Figured it out. Having the ghost image setting active is what had caused everything.

Walter Schulz

Nightly builds ML\settings directory is empty. That's the problem.
- Copy newest nightly contents over existing files -> Settings directory is not overwritten and CFG files are able to cause troubles.
- Delete ML directory (and Autoexec.bin) and copy latest nightly build files to card -> You start clean but - as intended - you will loose all your settings.

Walter Schulz

About "Ghost Image": Half-press shutter and Set. You should be able to move focus box.
Please confirm.
EDIT: Not that easy. But playing with shutter release and Set is able to free focus box. Have to find out what sequence is working.
EDITEDIT: Problems with Ghost image, focus box and 650D, too.

Community help required: Please enable Ghost Image and try to move focus box. Turn off and turn on. Exit LV and go into LV again. Please report results.

Bipedal

Cannot move focus box with half-pressed shutter and set down, same results with or without magic zoom turned on (didn't know if it was intercepting half-press, if that's even how it works). This just shifts the ghost image around as without the presses.

a1ex

When ghost image is enabled, the arrow keys are used to move the ghost image around.

Turn off ghost image, move the focus box, then turn it back on.

Bipedal

That's how I'll do it from now on. What was throwing me off is that I hadn't selected a ghost image yet, so it was just moving nothing around. I assumed it would self-disable unless I used the live view button on something in playback first.

Either way, I'm in great shape now. I appreciate everyone's help.