Hello, Frits here from New Zealand

Started by zaschf, January 27, 2014, 12:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaschf

Just a quick note about me and my camera.
Gone through numerous cameras starting with the Canon FTb (very long time ago) to my current 550D.
I installed ML on my 550D about 6 months ago or so.
Unfortunately, just last week, when I rotated the control knob on the top of the camera from video and to manual, the lights went out.
Dropped it off at Canon for a checkup and it turns out the main PCB and the DC/DC were cooked.
They didn't say what caused the failure and I didn't told them about ML that was installed on the camera.

Could ML have killed my camera?
Everyone has a photographic memory... Some people just don't have film!

ItsMeLenny

Hello Frits from NZ,
I'm from Aus and also have a 550D, so that's probably the only thing Aus and NZ have in common :P

Can you tell more about what functions you were using on your camera?
(ie. Raw Video, types of overlays, long exposures).
With ML, when your camera is off, you're always meant to take the battery out.

But that's not to say it was ML's fault. It could've just been a bad camera off the line.

zaschf

550D the only thing in common. How cool is that.
The camera was turned on at the time. I did turn the knob from Av to video and back to Tv rather quickly because I decided not to take a video but to take a tele-photo instead. I've not yet seen the repair report from Canon. I've asked for an explanation of the fault. It's Auckland anniversary today so, Canon is closed for the day. We'll if they reply tomorrow.

ItsMeLenny

Ah ok, not sure if fast switching would break the camera, unless the camera came with problems.

Over the past 6 months what main Magic Lantern features have you been using?

zaschf

I've used ML mainly for HDR photography with good results...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108332542367727226630/HDRPhotos#5941489983480410466
and this
https://picasaweb.google.com/108332542367727226630/HDRPhotos#5941426303406091506

I've tried some time lapse photography and slow video but really that's not my foray.

Canon just came back saying that they are replacing the main PCB and the dc/dc unit free of charge. They un-explainably failed due to overheating.
Ummm, I'm not going to reinstall ML, just to be sure.

Cheers,
Frits.

ItsMeLenny

The camera can overheat with ML if it freezes and you don't remove the battery.
If it locks up and goes black, that usually means it's hanging, and switching off won't switch it off.
So if at one point it was hanging and all you did was switch it off and put it away, then it could've over heated then.
Could've over heated from a time lapse maybe.
Then again, might've just been Canon.

I put ML on my 550D as soon as I got it, and that's more than 2 years ago now.

zaschf

I guess I'll leave ML off my 550D for now.