[UNMAINTAINED] Canon 5D Classic Firmware ** Beta 4 **

Started by coutts, June 14, 2012, 04:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David78

Quote from: David78 on October 25, 2012, 06:06:46 PM
Hi, i have just registered myself here to say thanks for this firmware!

One question also:
Do you think it will possible make the new feature: watch the shutter count?
Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks a lot.

Watch the shutter count is that possible in the future?
Thanks

a1ex

Yes, at Canon service. Read the thread before posting.

David78

I don't find Canon service, where in the thread?
Thanks

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

ilguercio

Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

David78

"5D and 20D are not supported by any available software. The only way to get shutter counts for those models = send to canon."

Too bad!

thanks to all

djwnaz

Hi,
I have 5D, with SN#252xxxxxx. will this work on my 5D Canon 5D Classic Firmware  ** Beta 4 **?

thanks

sergeant113

I'm sorry if this is redundant, but i really want to confirm. Can the 5D classic be hacked for video mode at all? I have a 5D that I love dearly and use extensively. But recently I feel the increasing need for video that I might have to sell my 5D (God forbids) to get maybe a cropped Rebel or the 50D. What do you guys think?

csoller

Quote from: sergeant113 on October 27, 2012, 04:35:37 AM
I'm sorry if this is redundant, but i really want to confirm. Can the 5D classic be hacked for video mode at all? I have a 5D that I love dearly and use extensively. But recently I feel the increasing need for video that I might have to sell my 5D (God forbids) to get maybe a cropped Rebel or the 50D. What do you guys think?

Not possible.

walta

Quote from: djwnaz on October 27, 2012, 12:38:44 AM
Hi,
I have 5D, with SN#252xxxxxx. will this work on my 5D Canon 5D Classic Firmware  ** Beta 4 **?

thanks

Earlier problems with different serial numbers are now solved. Works with all 5Dc cameras

Canon 5Dc and 400D

fleder

Any chance for the focus trap feature for this body?

suvival198

i 've just installed  new FW follow your guide,  but blue led blink .. then after reset , press Trash button, but nothing happen??  did something wrong?  .. You say BLink led mean bootdisk is disable ,so how to enable .. thanks

walta

Quote from: suvival198 on October 28, 2012, 07:03:41 PM
i 've just installed  new FW follow your guide,  but blue led blink .. then after reset , press Trash button, but nothing happen??  did something wrong?  .. You say BLink led mean bootdisk is disable ,so how to enable .. thanks

Help I gave to an earlier poster who was having the same problem as you.

==========================================================
The instructions aren't too clear.

On your first install you need to do the firmware update with the file named "5dc.111.card bootable.fir" in the root of the card
This makes your card bootable
next you have to do the firmware update with the "5dc.111.ML install.fir" file (as well as all the other ones needed for ML)
This installs the ML bootflag.

There is no message that it was successful. The blue light should come on steady - like the instructions say. Then you have to remove the battery to re-boot the camera.

Blinking light means something wasn't installed properly.

I'm not sure what the camera does if you do the upgrade firmware process with 2 fir files in the root of the card.
after copying all the files over there, I made sure there was only 1 fir file each time when I did the firmware upgrade process and it worked for me.

Canon 5Dc and 400D

walta

Quote from: suvival198 on October 28, 2012, 07:03:41 PM
.. You say BLink led mean bootdisk is disable ,so how to enable .. thanks

And to answer this question, as it says in the instructions re-running the firmware install with the card.bootable.fir file in it will toggle the bootdisk between OFF and ON.

Canon 5Dc and 400D

suvival198

Quote from: walta on October 28, 2012, 09:17:07 PM
Help I gave to an earlier poster who was having the same problem as you.

==========================================================
The instructions aren't too clear.

On your first install you need to do the firmware update with the file named "5dc.111.card bootable.fir" in the root of the card
This makes your card bootable
next you have to do the firmware update with the "5dc.111.ML install.fir" file (as well as all the other ones needed for ML)
This installs the ML bootflag.

There is no message that it was successful. The blue light should come on steady - like the instructions say. Then you have to remove the battery to re-boot the camera.

Blinking light means something wasn't installed properly.

I'm not sure what the camera does if you do the upgrade firmware process with 2 fir files in the root of the card.
after copying all the files over there, I made sure there was only 1 fir file each time when I did the firmware upgrade process and it worked for me.

thank for ur help, i'm done :) now pick up and test new FW

fleder

Does anybody know if it's possible to have focus trap working on this body? Is this feature being developed or it's not possible? I would like to know since I got a decent Zeiss lens getting bought soon :)

walta

Quote from: fleder on October 31, 2012, 03:37:22 PM
Does anybody know if it's possible to have focus trap working on this body? Is this feature being developed or it's not possible? I would like to know since I got a decent Zeiss lens getting bought soon :)

According to A1ex in his post a while back

"For more stuff (e.g. bulb exposures, trap focus or shutter count), one should dig deep inside the firmware. None of the tools from my current arsenal was able to find those, so it's probably hard - probably as hard as the 7D port "

Canon 5Dc and 400D

coutts

As some of you already know, I bricked my 5dc yesterday while testing some new boot code. I tried to diagnose and fix it but unfortunately it's out of our reach for reviving. The bootloader appears to be toast, so canon firmware doesn't boot and no bootloader = nobody to boot autoexec.bin files. Basically we can't do anything since we can't run autoexec.bin files. It essentially acts as if it is soft bricked (like many early 5dc testers experienced), except there is no fixing it - pulling the battery has no effect. As a result, the 5dc port is now on hold until further notice until someone with a 5dc can take over development.

I disassembled the camera to see if anything was fried, but I didn't see anything. I'm sorry everyone, this is just a case of bad luck (I wasn't even trying anything dangerous, it just bricked). It was fun while it lasted (and my 5d too, i just bought it in February..). Now I just have this new paper weight:

So... who will take over now?

nanomad

Well, how about we look for that JTAG port? :p
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

coutts

Quote from: nanomad on October 31, 2012, 07:15:34 PM
Well, how about we look for that JTAG port? :p
I don't know anything about jtag or how to use it, but i saw 3 connection spots not plugged into anything. I think somethings really wrong with the camera (like hardware damage or something). when I was diagnosing it would act random sometimes (one time it actuated the shutter when i turned it on). I still have no idea what happened but some stuff got pretty messed up (g3gg0 even suggested that the Digic [main processor] may be dead).

nanomad

Can you point out the unused connections?

Unfortunately the TX chip in that package doesn't expose the JTAG pins :/

coutts

Quote from: nanomad on October 31, 2012, 07:39:41 PM
Can you point out the unused connections?

Unfortunately the TX chip in that package doesn't expose the JTAG pins :/
here are my pics from the disassembly (including pictures of all the chips with metal shields removed):
http://imgur.com/a/iZq4a

ilguercio

Quote from: coutts on October 31, 2012, 07:51:53 PM
here are my pics from the disassembly (including pictures of all the chips with metal shields removed):
http://imgur.com/a/iZq4a
That extra EXT in here:
http://i.imgur.com/Qt0G1.jpg
was on my 20D as well.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

1%