[UNMAINTAINED] Canon 5D Classic Firmware ** Beta 4 **

Started by coutts, June 14, 2012, 04:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csoller

Im experiencing some weird battery drain issue while the camera is turned off. I havent had this in the earlier versions. I am not sure why. The workaround however is pretty easy, ill not store the battery in the camera when its unused.

a1ex

Maybe it's related to this? http://www.magiclantern.fm/bestpractices (second point)

but I couldn't reproduce it on 5Dc.

coutts

Used the 5dc ML beta 4 last night for the first time in real-world application.

Shot about 1100 pics at a concert last night (with Steve Aoki there, cool!). Experienced quite a few bugs, so I'll be fixing those this week. Look forward to a beta 5 coming soon!

jplxpto

Quote from: coutts on October 20, 2012, 11:41:24 PM
Used the 5dc ML beta 4 last night for the first time in real-world application.

Shot about 1100 pics at a concert last night (with Steve Aoki there, cool!). Experienced quite a few bugs, so I'll be fixing those this week. Look forward to a beta 5 coming soon!

Coutts ... You're also to be congratulated ... ML in 5DC is now a reality.

PhotoCat

Coutts, u r a hero!

For the 5D Classic, would you please add the False color feature as I find it very handy to check portrait exposure
when using TTL flash under backlight situation. It is amazing! The exposure would be spot on and much less
post-production work :)  Tks!

coutts

Quote from: PhotoCat on October 21, 2012, 04:00:11 PM
Coutts, u r a hero!

For the 5D Classic, would you please add the False color feature as I find it very handy to check portrait exposure
when using TTL flash under backlight situation. It is amazing! The exposure would be spot on and much less
post-production work :)  Tks!
I'll look into that when I get time :)

By the way, beta 5 will be coming this week with updated boot code. g3gg0 and jplxpto made the cache_hack boot method work on the 40d, so I'll be adopting that to the 5dc (and fix some bugs I found over the weekend using ML).

stir fry a lot

Thanks for the continued support Coutts

TatoMCSE

Can someone point me to the right direction with the install issue. I have 5D with firmware 1.1.1 did the firmware update already couple times, but each time I get a blinking blue led and camera never boots up from CF. Any advise is much appreciated. CF used is Extreme III 8GB.

Thanks!

criz_a

Quote from: TatoMCSE on October 22, 2012, 08:28:13 PM
Can someone point me to the right direction with the install issue.

Format the CF card and copy ML, take out battery and charge it! Try again :-)

TatoMCSE

Quote from: criz_a on October 22, 2012, 08:41:26 PM
Format the CF card and copy ML, take out battery and charge it! Try again :-)

Thanks, already tried that with formatting card in camera and in windows. Tried with two batteries. Do I supposed to get any message that firmware update was successful? It just shows Firmware loading, screen goes blank and blue led starts blinking every couple seconds.

walta

Quote from: TatoMCSE on October 22, 2012, 08:54:27 PM
Thanks, already tried that with formatting card in camera and in windows. Tried with two batteries. Do I supposed to get any message that firmware update was successful? It just shows Firmware loading, screen goes blank and blue led starts blinking every couple seconds.

The instructions aren't too clear.

On your first install you need to do the firmware update with the file named "5dc.111.card bootable.fir" in the root of the card
This makes your card bootable
next you have to do the firmware update with the "5dc.111.ML install.fir" file (as well as all the other ones needed for ML)
This installs the ML bootflag.

There is no message that it was successful. The blue light should come on steady - like the instructions say. Then you have to remove the battery to re-boot the camera.

Blinking light means something wasn't installed properly.

I'm not sure what the camera does if you do the upgrade firmware process with 2 fir files in the root of the card.
after copying all the files over there, I made sure there was only 1 fir file each time when I did the firmware upgrade process and it worked for me.

Canon 5Dc and 400D

csoller

Quote from: a1ex on October 19, 2012, 09:54:59 PM
Maybe it's related to this? http://www.magiclantern.fm/bestpractices (second point)

but I couldn't reproduce it on 5Dc.

Yes, turned out I removed the cf card too fast. Problem solved

TatoMCSE

Quote from: walta on October 22, 2012, 10:28:44 PM
The instructions aren't too clear.
[...]
I made sure there was only 1 fir file each time when I did the firmware upgrade process and it worked for me.

Okay, that makes sense - I will give a try later today. Indeed I did this with two files on the card. I thought I might want to do that one by one, but wasn't sure about the order so I didn't do that. Thanks for pointing that out! Perhaps the first post needs to be edited a bit? :)

Cheers!

walta

Quote from: TatoMCSE on October 24, 2012, 01:43:10 PM
Okay, that makes sense - I will give a try later today. Indeed I did this with two files on the card. I thought I might want to do that one by one, but wasn't sure about the order so I didn't do that. Thanks for pointing that out! Perhaps the first post needs to be edited a bit? :)

Cheers!

I think the camera will probably read the file names in alphabetical order - so will only load the "make card bootable" one and never do the "ML bootflag" one.

Coutts said he was making changes to the boot sequence and other bug fixes so I suspect he won't worry too much about installation instructions being accurate until the first non-beta version is released.

I guess us "beta testers" just have to figure it out for ourselves.   :'(

Canon 5Dc and 400D

Devulder

Wonderful Coutts !
I'm impatient to test your beta 5!
I apologise  for my english.
I'm French and i don't have a good english.
5đc  ml beta 4

hibolta

Wonderful Coutts, thanks to you I won't need to upgrade my 5Dc because of new gimmicks  :)

mamonmon

Hi! Im new to this. In the instructions, i need to remove the battery grip but i dont have the battery cover so i cannot use it without the grip. Do i really need to remove the grip before installation? Thanks a lot!

nanomad

Yes, you do. If you don't, bad things may happen (VERY BAD THINGS)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

mamonmon

Quote from: nanomad on October 25, 2012, 05:34:43 PM
Yes, you do. If you don't, bad things may happen (VERY BAD THINGS)

Oh i see.. I need to get a battery cover.  :) thanks!

David78

Hi, i have just registered myself here to say thanks for this firmware!

One question also:
Do you think it will possible make the new feature: watch the shutter count?
Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks a lot.

Devulder

Quote from: David78 on October 25, 2012, 06:06:46 PM
Hi, i have just registered myself here to say thanks for this firmware!

One question also:
Do you think it will possible make the new feature: watch the shutter count?
Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks a lot.

Good idea
5đc  ml beta 4

TatoMCSE

Successfully installed. I'm impressed with features. However it seems that Advanced bracketing is failing to shift exposures beyond +/- 2eV. Can anyone get 5Dc to bracket at 3 or more eV using beta4?

Thanks!

a1ex

themanwithnoname

Another success 5Dc ML story here. Registered to say thanks and thanks!

Now my Samyang 35mm f1.4 are as good as 35mm f1.4L with the peep focus!

Just now this comes into my mind.

How about a 2sec shutter for timer? Or customizeable timer.

Btw, serial number 22***** here

a1ex

To enable the 2-second timer, just enable MLU and normal self timer.