[UNMAINTAINED] Canon 5D Classic Firmware ** Beta 4 **

Started by coutts, June 14, 2012, 04:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vballmoc

Quote from: a1ex on October 04, 2012, 02:20:51 PM
Canon metering is totally unreliable in my experience, so I gave up using auto exposure. Good auto ISO can be done in LiveView, based on histogram.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is your point here? While you might not be happy with auto exposure, others might still like it. (like me). But must of all, what do you mean by "Good auto ISO can be done in LiveView, based on histogram"? There is LiveView in the 5D? Why would LiveView help with AutoISO? If I have the time for the histogram, I also have time to change the ISO. Sorry, that I don't get it! Please explain.
Thanks a lot for your answer,
Bests,
Christoph

Xcel

Good job you guys, magic lantern is awesome. Donated to support the cause.

walta

Quote from: vballmoc on October 05, 2012, 01:15:59 AM
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is your point here? While you might not be happy with auto exposure, others might still like it. (like me). But must of all, what do you mean by "Good auto ISO can be done in LiveView, based on histogram"? There is LiveView in the 5D? Why would LiveView help with AutoISO? If I have the time for the histogram, I also have time to change the ISO. Sorry, that I don't get it! Please explain.
Thanks a lot for your answer,
Bests,
Christoph

Yeah, I'm confused as well. My xTi does a a great job of auto-ISO with the 400plus hack.  Sounds like its not a priority in the ML list of things to do.

Canon 5Dc and 400D

xnor

Quote from: walta on October 05, 2012, 04:29:52 PM
My xTi does a a great job of auto-ISO with the 400plus hack.  Sounds like its not a priority in the ML list of things to do.

Does 400plus run on the 5D? Don't think so.
So why is it that you think Auto ISO is irrelevant for ML on the 5D?

Auto ISO is the single one thing I will run ML on my 5D for.

nanomad

It's not a priority for any of the current 5Dc developers.... feel free to hack it if you want we won't refuse it (unless it breaks other stuff)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

xnor

I even might; got nothing to do all weekend...

walta

Quote from: xnor on October 05, 2012, 05:05:37 PM
Does 400plus run on the 5D? Don't think so.
So why is it that you think Auto ISO is irrelevant for ML on the 5D?

Auto ISO is the single one thing I will run ML on my 5D for.

I'm only suggesting that it was of importance to the 400plus developers but is not to the ML developers.

I never said that 400plus would run on the 5D. I was using it as an example of how auto exposure (that works well) could be accomplished on Canon cameras by a third party developer.

Canon 5Dc and 400D

coutts

Quote from: xnor on October 05, 2012, 05:15:03 PM
I even might; got nothing to do all weekend...
Take time to research what you are doing, this isn't something I would just dive into / start running code. That's a fast way to brick your camera.

It's taken me 2 years to learn what I know now, with countless nights without sleep (pulling 40+ hours sometimes without sleep working on ML). If you are serious about helping, I will help you as I don't have the time to work on ML every day now. it would be nice to have someone else working on the 5dc.

I'm getting the EOS M here in a few weeks, so once that comes I will be diverting my time to porting ML to that instead of the 5dc.

xnor

Well, that's exactly what I was up to do - have a first look at the documentation and the source to get a feeling how Auto ISO could be done. Possibly output a "Hello world" on the camera. Thing like this should definitively not be rushed. :-)

I wanted to take a deeper look into ML for some time now, at last I now have a reason to do so. :-)

iggy2

I solved my problem with running ML on my 5DC (blue + red LED)
Problem was with OLD 1GB CF card, with new 8GB card started OK.
Thanks!

vscd

>I'm getting the EOS M here in a few weeks, so once that comes I will be diverting my time to porting ML to that instead of the 5dc.

Nooooooooo!     :o

Please don't leave us for good. We need you! By the way, does the 5DC Port will be merged into the maintrunk of ML? Of course with less functionality...

vstrglv

Quote from: iggy2 on October 06, 2012, 01:18:47 PM
I solved my problem with running ML on my 5DC (blue + red LED)
Problem was with OLD 1GB CF card, with new 8GB card started OK.
Thanks!
Me too! I used old 512MB CF to run ML. It was changed to 2GB CF. It was formatted in 5D. Than I used a procedure from first post. ML works now. My SN is 0930710567 DS126091. There is no any blue LED on my 5D.
Thank you very much!
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

coutts

Quote from: vscd on October 06, 2012, 06:53:09 PM
>I'm getting the EOS M here in a few weeks, so once that comes I will be diverting my time to porting ML to that instead of the 5dc.

Please don't leave us for good. We need you! By the way, does the 5DC Port will be merged into the maintrunk of ML? Of course with less functionality...
it's been merged into the main sourcebase since june ;)
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/9dbfdc26c53f/platform/5DC.111

Sukram

Quote from: vscd on October 06, 2012, 06:53:09 PM

Please don't leave us for good. We need you! ...

full ack !!! Starting a project like this and then leaving this way is NOT ALLOWED  ;) :'(

Sukram.

csoller

Quote from: Sukram on October 07, 2012, 10:21:41 AM
full ack !!! Starting a project like this and then leaving this way is NOT ALLOWED  ;) :'(

Sukram.

I must disagree. They leave it with the promised features (and even more) fully developed and ready for action. Where to continue when its done? I think its ok.

Thank you guys!

valadorf

I gave up a few months ago, sold my 5dc and got a 5d Mk 2 instead. ML works like a dream now. Please consider that Coutts was great enough to give so much of his time on this project without forcing money out of people. And this is an open project as I recall so people can continue what others have started, No Bashing is allowed (for some people at least show some respect and stop whining).

in any case I would suggest trying the CF card trick and see if that would kick ML to start on the 5DC.

I'm looking forward the 7D ML now :)

side note: 5dc metering is awesome, the reason why it looks under exposed is that it's using a full size sensor, meaning it's taking in more light to balance the exposure computations and that is why there is a function called exposure lock. Yeah sometimes Auto ISO can be useful but never make a habit of relying on it when shooting. Practice makes perfect, It's always the skill that matters not the tools

vscd

@Valadorf

We don't blame anyone doing software for free. How could we? We love coutts!! We just want him to know that we'd miss him.  ;) Your move to the 5DM2 is your own decision, but the attitude "I don't own a 5D Classic anymore, so I don't care about the ML5DC" is not a nice sign. I think most of us could do the same step but we love the fullframe 12MP and that's the reason we would like to advance the 5D. And 7D.... who needs a cropped cam?  8)

valadorf

@vscd

technically I wouldn't be around if I'm not interested with the 5dc ml development. It's already working on the mk II since the beginning so I decided to switch to the correct hardware and there's a lot of people who loves both cameras even cropped (I for one) when ultra busy events 8fps burst from the 7d is invaluable, as of yet, full frames only has 5-6fps maybe because of the weight of the mirror or its brittleness due to its size, I don't know. To answer your question as who needs ML on cropped cams I guess the rest of the 40D, 60D, 500D, 550D, 600D, 1100D and of course 7D users out there including me :D

Oh and I think it was markus who was whining about Coutts not going to finish on the 5dc.

Sukram

Quote from: valadorf on October 08, 2012, 11:22:08 PM
... Oh and I think it was markus who was whining about Coutts not going to finish on the 5dc.

I´m not crying about "not finishing" (your words, not mine) - I´m crying about leaving/stopping the project - that´s a difference ;-)

Greets,

Markus.

ilguercio

If you look at the changeset you'll notice that 5Dc development is brought ahead by A1ex now.
;)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

martin.haburaj

I'm happy that i am a 5Dc owner.
You make great work!
5Dc, 400Dplus, EOS3, 15mm f2.8, 35mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8
WEB | Facebook | Twiter

dec11ad

Quote from: martin.haburaj on October 11, 2012, 05:03:15 PM
I'm happy that i am a 5Dc owner.
You make great work!

me too, can't wait for this to be complete! :D
5D classic user, 70-200mm f/4 & 50mm f/1.8

Sukram

Quote from: ilguercio on October 11, 2012, 04:51:07 PM
If you look at the changeset you'll notice that 5Dc development is brought ahead by A1ex now.
;)

;D 8) Thank God!  :) I´ve read some news in the history blog and we are looking forward to get some really nice features ...

Greetinx,

Markus.

a1ex

ozcancelik

I just tried Beta 3. Basically;

- HDR Works.
- Intervalometer does not work. It stops after first shot. Just "crazy shooting" works.

Waiting for Beta 4. Thank you coutts and a1ex!