Amazing BAD quality of RAW dngs

Started by pianogirl, January 20, 2014, 02:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pianogirl

I've instalated ML on my Canon 5D MKIII and I recorded test video..
Put everything to raw2dng, then open in davinci and I've found that it's really terrible quality, like ISO milion (maximum noise).  Everywhere I have noises and lines. I used ISO less than 400, so I don't know why it's like this. Please help me.

I attach one of the test dng file.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ue6j68

a1ex

Expose to the right. Even if you clip a few unimportant highlights.

Quote from: pianogirl on January 20, 2014, 02:48:45 PM
I used ISO less than 400

That's part of the problem. ISO does *not* increase the noise, it actually cleans it up when you can't capture enough photons. Don't be afraid of ISO 1600.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0
(and if you search a little, you'll find tens of similar questions already answered)

pianogirl

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

pianogirl

How to set good Expose to the right in ML? I mean I would like to have the best quality in dark places. Can I find somewhere instruction to inteligent set of ML?
ETTR - always on?
and what else should I do?

Audionut

Start by looking in the tutorial section of the forum.

pianogirl

Ok, but is it normal that I have such a bad image like this:

??

a1ex

If you don't expose properly, the image can be as bad as this (and yes, it's normal):

pianogirl

But which exposition is the best for ML?
Should I set something also in the standard canon menu or only ML?

Audionut

I'd suggest you stay away from ML and go learn about exposure.  When you have the fundamental knowledge required for photo(video)graphy, you can return to ML with a basic understanding of what does what.

I'm not being mean, I'm being honest.  If you don't know how to expose, problems understanding ML are the least of your worries.

dmilligan

pianogirl

I know about exmposure, but I don;t know Magic Lantern and how to set it good...

Walter Schulz