Canon 5D Mark III

Started by a1ex, June 14, 2012, 04:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blassox

Quote from: a1ex on August 29, 2012, 09:38:25 AM
My 5D Mark III arrived today :)

I'm so glad to hear it!!!! Good porting man! I can not wait to try it on my camera!

a1ex

Low-level progress here: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/changesets

Roughly half of the things are already working, as I did an early port without having the camera in my hands. However, before publishing some early betas I need to go through each menu and try everything. It will take a while.

Meanwhile you can suggest what things you are missing on 5D3 without ML.

I'll start:
- zoom button back to its old place -> very hard to do, as the old button shares the code with the other top buttons (I can't figure out which of the top buttons was pressed).
- Canon menu feels very cluttered (can't fix this :P )

Other things:
- HDR bracketing looks pretty nice in Canon's implementation (7 frames), do we still need ML HDR?
- I'm thinking to limit ML to CF cards only, anyone requires SD cards?

dwischnewski

Just CF would be pretty much a show stopper, as I now a few, incl. myself, using the SD card for eye-fi. At least keep the support for writing the JPG files onto SD.

Otherwise, I am looking forward to see what you will bring to the 5DIII.

a1ex

You can use both cards: the CF one loaded with ML, and the SD for recording photos/videos (just tried).

This has the advantage that you can keep ML settings when swapping the SD cards :)

dude

That s a good thing, so you can record to several sd cards, even if ml is not on them.
in camera-hdr bracketing is nice, but it would be cool to combine it with interval, so you can do hdr timelapse.
the overlays or a clean hdmi out would definetely be cool, but the most important thing would be zebras and peaking.
I can t wait to test it on my camera! great work!!!

a1ex

Right, so it's practically the same thing as if you would install ML in the camera (from a convenience's point of view).

Zebras and peaking are already working, even fast zebras worked from the first try :)

g3gg0

really cool :)
is it possible to keep the drive letters #define-able so users would be able to compile custom veriants if they need that.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

dude

I would be happy with a version with only peaking and zebras for the beginning, if it would come out fast ;)

squig

CBR ALL-I implementation is a must have feature. The Magic Lantern ISO's sound cool too.

a1ex

I can change max bitrate and quantizers, but that's all.

JesperSjoquist

Awesome work on ML so far!

Besides what's already been mentioned, I personally miss the Intervalometer and the Bulb Timer :)

Jesper

nanomad

Quote from: a1ex on August 29, 2012, 04:07:04 PM

That's all *yet*
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

It's not the same as in digic 4, it was researched from scratch. I've exposed all the H.264 parameters to Marvin and that's all he could control.

Those are the parameters for ALL-I. Most of them give ERR70 if changed.

Transform8x8Flag = 2
Profile = 100
Level = 51
BitRate = 90000000
EntropyCodingMode = 0
IntraPicInitQP = 20
InterPicInitQP = 20
QpOffsetForB = 0
MinQpI = 10
MinQpP = 10
MinQpB = 10
MaxQpI = 51
MaxQpP = 51
MaxQpB = 51
MinBitrate = 0
MaxBitrate = 0
SarWidth = 0
SarHeight = 0
AspectRatioIdc = 1
VideoFmtAndVspFlag = 81
VideoFullRangeFlag = 1
TimingInfoPresentFlag = 0
RateControlEnable = 2
ScalingMatrices = 0
pScalingMatrixAddr[0] = 0
pScalingMatrixAddr[1] = 0
pScalingMatrixAddr[2] = 0
pScalingMatrixAddr[3] = 0
pScalingMatrixAddr[4] = 0
pScalingMatrixAddr[5] = 0

JohnN

Quote from: a1ex on August 29, 2012, 09:38:25 AM
My 5D Mark III arrived today :)

Excellent - great news indeed - its a good body isn't it?

Lcrusher

Clean uncompressed HDMI output(like the D800) would be amazing though unlikely.
4:2:2 would be amazing as well but as I understand it's even less likely.
1080 50P would be a pretty nice feature
720 100P also cool

But somehow I got the feeling that all my wishes are almost impossible to implement.  :)

wintix

You having the 5D3 is great news! :)

Timelapse functions would be great, possibly combined with bracketing.
Advanced codec settings maybe

One highly appreciated feature would be video recording auto restart one the timelimit is hit.

Great to hear that zebras work :)

Woohoo I'm so looking forward to give it a try, keep up the great work! :)

squig

Quote from: a1ex on August 29, 2012, 04:07:04 PM

Excuse my ignorance, what's a quantizer? Pushing the bit-rate should certainly help but VBR was a drama on the MKII. What's the situation with IPB?

a1ex

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantization_%28signal_processing%29 and http://vcodex.blogspot.com/2009/04/h264-quantization-parameter.html

In all Canon DSLRs, the algorithm is VBR with a max bitrate limit. When this limit is low enough, the bitrate is almost constant in practice, so this combination of settings is labeled as CBR. When this limit is raised, some scenes will not have enough detail to increase the bitrate (in most cases because quantizers are at lowest level, so quality is as high as it can get).

There is hope for MJPEG 422 or clean HDMI out though :)

Lcrusher

Quote from: a1ex on August 30, 2012, 08:39:47 AM
There is hope for MJPEG 422 or clean HDMI out though :)

Amazing!

Lcrusher

BTW, is there a way to get 1:1 Crop?

a1ex

Yes, record the 5x zoom image via HDMI - it's 1:1 crop on all Canon cameras ;)

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on August 29, 2012, 12:44:02 PM
- HDR bracketing looks pretty nice in Canon's implementation (7 frames), do we still need ML HDR?

... but Canon doesn't do *automatic* bracketing with as many frames as it takes, or weren't you talking about that?

Quote from: a1ex on August 29, 2012, 12:44:02 PM
- I'm thinking to limit ML to CF cards only, anyone requires SD cards?

... I think it should be the other way around (!): The sd card controller on the 5d3 is crippled and only writes at very slow speeds if you didn't realize yet - so many people will be using the sd slot only for backup purposes (like write jpeg to it while raw/video goes to cf). Thus, cf cards will get changed much more often, and ml might be better placed on the sd that stays in the camera.

a1ex

I didn't play much with it, but it has an auto setting. Not sure what it does, I didn't read the manual.

Good point about ML on the other type card that you normally use. However, this complicates things a bit, as ML was designed to work with a single card drive, and it would require major code changes (those CARD_DRIVE"path/to/file" constructs would no longer work if CARD_DRIVE is not a constant).

nanomad

Being all uppercase doesn't mean it has to be a constant  ::)
If, during the boot process and before ML reads its config, we can discover which card ML is on we can then simply set the static variable CARD_DRIVE to the correct value.
For example, we could use a simple fopen B:/autoexec.bin and if it fails it must mean that the card is on the other drive
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

CARD_DRIVE is used in string concatenation at compile time ;)