Double Exposures on 5D2

Started by Der Photograf, January 18, 2014, 12:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Der Photograf

Hello,
I have spent hours searching the Internet for some advice on how to do double/multiple exposure with a 5D2. It has been incorporated into the 6D and the 5D3, and I was hoping it would be part of Magic Lantern for the 5D2. I wonder, if there are more people out there who are looking for that function. I am very keen to to do In-camera double exposures, and I am somewhat surprised it hasn't been made available for the 5D2 yet. Is it potentially coming in the future, or is the 5D2 too old to be considered fur such update. There are so many professional features available now in ML, that I am more than surprised that such standard feature is not available. I almost bought a whole new system, the Olympus Pen series just to do double exposures, but luckily I didn't do it in the end. I can't be the only one. Is anyone else interested in in-camera double exposures for the 5D2.

chris_overseas

I think it's unlikely to be supported given that:

- newer cameras have the functionality anyway
- it's trivial to do in post, and you get much better results that way
- Canon's in-camera support is pretty limited, and even a ML implementation would have its limits given the relative lack of processing power available in-camera

The general philosophy of Magic Lantern seems to be that if it can be done better in post there's no point building the feature in to ML. This certainly seems to be a good example of that. Having said that, I'm sure it would be possible for someone to create a module to create multiple exposures. Perhaps if anyone (yourself?) likes the idea enough they'll try.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

Der Photograf

Thanks very much for your reply.
Your explanation makes sense. I will have to find alternative solutions.
Thanks again.