CANON 7D - Button Mapping

Started by dgbPortfolio, August 21, 2013, 11:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgbPortfolio

Would it be possible to:
1. When in PLAY mode, map the JPEG/RAW button to either a custom function, or ideally to enter the edit RAW function of the 2.03 firmware. Mine appears to do nothing which seems a great waste!
2. I've not tried the auto-boot version as a nervous new-comer. I read, though, that if you press SET whilst turning the camera on it would boot the vanilla firmware (sorry - but I assume that's canon's original firmware!), and I therefore assume that this is only relevant if you have loaded the ML autoboot firmware/ flag version. My question therefore, is would it be possible to map a different combo such as SHUTTER BUTTON or MENU or Q etc in conjunction with switching on to auto-load ML, i.e. differentiating from autoboot. Therefore when switched on normally the camera would boot normally, but when switched on with, say, 'shutter' it would load ML - like a semi-auto implementation of a manual load if that makes any sense to anyone! I think this would be a great aid to using alpha or beta versions.

So in short-
>Canon firmware only. Switch on = load canon fw.
>ML autoboot version. Switch on = load ML from card. SET+Switch on = load canon fw.
>ML non-autoboot version, such as Alpha2. Switch on = load canon fw. SHUTTER/MENU/Q..+Switch on = load ML from card.

A response would be great, even if to shoot me down and tell me to shut up, or to tell me I understand things incorrectly. Or better still let me know of some great existing function(s) I'm missing!

Walter Schulz

- deleted, waiting for dev team members to adress this -

dgbPortfolio

Thanks (I think??!).

If Nr2 could be implemented it would almost mitigate the need for autoboot versions altogether would it not? Being able to switch on with a key-combo direct to ML would be essentially the same thing, just as easy, and perhaps reduce warranty issues etc., as we'd not necessarily be changing firmware/ boot flags etc. (< don't even understand all this! ;-). Enough said.

Walter Schulz

No, it won't work without something like a bootflag.
Or you have to go to the firmware menu and manually load ML.
Or you have to ask Canon if they kindly implement a ML load option (via button action for example) into their very own firmware.  <- Only this option will do what you want.

dgbPortfolio

OK thanks.

Item 1 would still be very useful  :)

Item 2 might still be useful as part of a firmware/ bootflag change, but probably only to change priority of auto-boot for people's personal preference. Shame, seemed like it could be very useful in principle.

feureau

Quote from: dgbPortfolio on August 21, 2013, 11:08:21 AM
2. I've not tried the auto-boot version as a nervous new-comer. I read, though, that if you press SET whilst turning the camera on it would boot the vanilla firmware (sorry - but I assume that's canon's original firmware!), and I therefore assume that this is only relevant if you have loaded the ML autoboot firmware/ flag version. My question therefore, is would it be possible to map a different combo such as SHUTTER BUTTON or MENU or Q etc in conjunction with switching on to auto-load ML, i.e. differentiating from autoboot. Therefore when switched on normally the camera would boot normally, but when switched on with, say, 'shutter' it would load ML - like a semi-auto implementation of a manual load if that makes any sense to anyone! I think this would be a great aid to using alpha or beta versions.

So in short-
>Canon firmware only. Switch on = load canon fw.
>ML autoboot version. Switch on = load ML from card. SET+Switch on = load canon fw.
>ML non-autoboot version, such as Alpha2. Switch on = load canon fw. SHUTTER/MENU/Q..+Switch on = load ML from card.

A response would be great, even if to shoot me down and tell me to shut up, or to tell me I understand things incorrectly. Or better still let me know of some great existing function(s) I'm missing!

So, you want the option to have ML loaded or not when turning on the camera?

using the 7D with autoboot ML, when you turn on the camera while pressing the SET button, it will say MAGIC OFF and you will load plain vanilla canon firmware. Turn it off, and turn it on again, it will autoboot ML as usual.

1%

QuoteIf Nr2 could be implemented it would almost mitigate the need for autoboot versions altogether would it not?

Well maybe some of you load ML for 1 function but I kinda like having it on all the time. For the 7D the problem is even greater because you need the fir boot method to get onto the master.

Ideally 7D needs a loader that starts up the firmware dialog and does the exploit by itself... set + power on would load nothing and put you to the regular canon UI.

dgbPortfolio

Quote from: 1% on September 09, 2013, 08:58:21 PM
Well maybe some of you load ML for 1 function but I kinda like having it on all the time. For the 7D the problem is even greater because you need the fir boot method to get onto the master.

Ideally 7D needs a loader that starts up the firmware dialog and does the exploit by itself... set + power on would load nothing and put you to the regular canon UI.

I would definitely prefer to have the (eventual) stable ML on all the time, but whilst it is in alpha, I think i was eluding to having canon FW as the default, and being lazy :-[ in trying to cut out one or two steps in manually loading ML via the firmware update method (i.e. the reverse of the current SET-on function. I understand these limitations though).

Perhaps I need to bite the bullet and try the potentially unstable autoboot version... :-\

I would add that I'm almost exclusively interested in stills photography and that side of things seems to be relatively stable as far as I have experimented. I don't suppose there is any chance that ML could move to autoboot-beta or even Stable with only stable menu items enabled?.....(whilst video etc is progressed).

Also - was there any feedback on the button mapping query, item 1?