Infinity focus save and recall.

Started by TreadgoldPhotography, December 28, 2013, 02:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreadgoldPhotography

Hi all,

I have been using Magic Lantern on my 600D for about 2 years now and find it amazingly useful. I actually bought the 600D specifically because it seemed to work well with ML. Focus peaking is so good when i'm just shooting video handheld!

I have one interesting proposition though. I know you've got the focus racking thing working pretty well, so i'm wondering if you could read the position of the lens, and allow me to recall it at will. If this is possible, can we have a dedicated button assigned to setting focus to inifinty?

If i could set focus to infinity with a particular lens attached (maybe my 18-55mm 3.5-5.6, Kit lens!!! Yay!), and then select a menu option and save the current focus distance as "infinity", could this then be recalled quickly when shooting stars or distant subjects?

It would reduce all that time mucking around in a dark crop sensor viewfinder trying to find something with enough contrast to set infinity focus.

Thanks for reading

Kind regards
Michael Treadgold

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

dmilligan

ML can only control focus in LV and it's rather slow, and on some lenses it's not very accurate. Also keep in mind temperature can affect the exact position of infinity focus. For something like stars or astro, I would always focus manually every time, sometimes I even refocus in the middle of shooting just to be sure, esp if the temp changes. FPS override and LV display gain are quite helpful for quick manual focusing of dark scenes.

TreadgoldPhotography

Thanks folks,

I guess i'll stick to manual focus for now, sounds like too many variables to automate.

I shall try that module at some point also RenatoPhoto, cheers.

Regards
Treadgold