Canon 1100d/t3 + Magic Lantern. Overheating?

Started by kd1m, March 27, 2016, 03:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kd1m

Hey!
I've just installed Magic Lantern on my Canon 1100d/T3, and I have noticed some kind of overheating during video mode.
The temperature arrives at 51°C after about 10 minutes of usage, and it happens even if I'm not constantly shooting.
So, should I uninstall ML? Will the camera explode in my hands? Will it do permanent damage to the camera's hardware? Would uninstalling Magic Lantern solve the problem? I hadn't noticed any overheating before installing it.

Note that when it reaches that temperature, the number is marked orange.

Sorry for my broken English. I couldn't explain it better than this.

dmilligan

What led you to the conclusion that 51C = overheating?

What was the actual temperature of the camera without ML, and what is the actual temperature with ML, measured using a real thermometer?

Do you think that Canon might have put some kind of safeguard for overheating?

What do you think is a normal operating temperature for high-density silicon-based integrated circuits?

Walter Schulz

kd1m: Without ML there is no temperature displayed. If Canon's treshold is reached you will see overheating warning.
Now check again:
Press Set button during startup (=plain Canon code running), enter liveview and wait for 10 minutes. Now take a pic and check temperature for this pic via exif value.
Redo (after letting the cam cooling down for some hours) with ML running.
I bet you will not see that much difference ...

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9673.0

kd1m

QuoteWhat led you to the conclusion that 51C = overheating?

Well I don't know, I just thought that it was a quite high temperature, as it was marked in orange (not a very calm and reassuring colour, is it?).

QuoteWhat was the actual temperature of the camera without ML, and what is the actual temperature with ML, measured using a real thermometer?
I don't know precisely but I'm sure it's never been as high before. I could feel it, it's never heated that much, even during summer. The thing is, it's the grip that's heating, not the battery. I have tried using a shoulder rig and never touching the camera, the result was the same. But the battery stays warm, kinda room temperature.

QuoteDo you think that Canon might have put some kind of safeguard for overheating?
Yes of course, but can it fail?

QuotePress Set button during startup (=plain Canon code running), enter liveview and wait for 10 minutes. Now take a pic and check temperature for this pic via exif value.
Redo (after letting the cam cooling down for some hours) with ML running.
Will do. Thanks.