Magic Lantern firmware, bulb ramping and the choice of lens...

Started by John84, June 23, 2016, 03:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John84

Recently bought a Canon 5d Mk2 with Nikon prime lenses. Intend to make the most of the camera recreationally while out hiking so would like to get an angle on doing quality time lapses, specifically sunrises and sunsets. I am a complete novice and have only started reading up on the area so excuse my lack of knowledge and I thank you for your patience.
To me it appears there are two options available - you can use the Magic Lantern firmware which allows "bulb ramping" in camera. My query on this though is - will it work when used with Nikon prime lenses, as I thought the firmware would need control over the lens (and lens aperture) to effectively accommodate the changing light conditions of a sunrise / sunset.
The other option is that you change the exposure manually during a time lapse to accommodate the changing light conditions then use various post-pro. programs to make the light transitions smoother. In this scenario you would use a portable intervalometer to set interval and duration of shutter.

I don't like the idea of this option as even the slightest of camera movement during the lapse will make the whole endeavour moot. It also creates too much room for error. "Locking down" a lightweight, portable tripod in confined spaces that took a few days to get to isn't really a hugely viable option either. Nobody wants to lug a studio Manfrotto around Iceland for a fortnight.
So to clarify, my question would be - can you shoot sunrise time lapses on Magic Lantern firmware on a Canon 5D MK2 WITH Prime Nikon lens? (Or does it need to be used in conjunction with Canon lenses)

And secondly, can you use an intervalometer with said Canon 5d MK2 with Nikon Prime lenses / does the intervalometer have any control/bearing over the lens in use (or just the shutter)? 
Any and all advice appreciated.

dmilligan