Images are automatically corrected after DNG conversion (Mark III)

Started by Dsp, June 12, 2015, 07:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dsp

Hello!

First off, hats off to you guys for doing this, it's something else.

I've noticed that whenever i shoot under a flat picture profile such as Neutral or Cinestyle, everything on the LCD looks correct in terms of proper exposure. However, whenever i convert my files into DNG, it automatically "darkens" and "saturates" the image as if a LUT was applied to the image but to the extreme.

What's happening here? How can i maintain the flat picture profile without it being corrected.

Thanks!

Dmitry

dmilligan

Raw data has no picture profile. It is linear bayered (CFA) data.

You should not use the "look" of the LCD to judge exposure for raw. Instead use one of the raw exposure guides like histogram or zebras.

Your post processing software is simply applying different default raw development parameters than the camera is when you see it on the LCD screen.

If you don't like those defaults, then change them in your post processing software.

Dsp

Thanks for the reply,

I actually do utilize the histogram and zebras but the problem is visible even before i do the conversion. I use Magic Lantern RAW video converter 1.9.1 and on the information section, the thumbnail of the video already appears darker than what was recorded.