Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxotics

@Malakai, He may not understand the problem fully.  Can you give him an exact step by step of what he should do to reproduce problem.  I don't have that lens.   Maybe he's not seeing it?

Malakai

Sure, this is the issue as I have it.

I have my eos M with ML installed and bootloading on fw 2.0.2 and using the EF-M 18-55mm IS lens on fw 2.0.0.

When the camera is powered up the shutter wont activate. It will focus at half press but on full press it wont take the shot. Neither will it record video or work in auto mode. In order to make the shutter activate i either have to perform a quick power cycle or rotate the lens and back to break the contacts between lens and body. Only then will the shutter actuate and take shots.

Steps to test. Confirm ef-m 18-55mm lens is on the camera. Then confirm you have ML running by powering on the camera and pressing two fingers on the display. Does ML menu show up? If so. Next step. Power off the camera for a count of five seconds. During this the SD light should flash briefly. Now. Power on the camera in photo mode. Without changing any settings take a photo. Does the shutter activate and capture the shot or does it just autofocus and no shot?

Hunting for that elusive EOS M shutterbug!!

jerrykil

Seems pretty straight forward, but I am not getting the same bug. Does your focus indicator bracket turn green or red or does it remain white? Have you tried setting on manual focus?

Malakai

Quote from: jerrykil on September 08, 2013, 07:09:15 PM
Seems pretty straight forward, but I am not getting the same bug. Does your focus indicator bracket turn green or red or does it remain white? Have you tried setting on manual focus?

Can you confirm the steps you took from starting with a stock eos m and blank formatted SD card so i can replicate those steps to see if it fixes it for me. Did you use eoscard to make your card bootable?

@1% is it worth jerrykil doing a dm.log to see if you can see a difference between the log i did to maybe narrow down the problem?

jerrykil

Malakai, i actually didn't use EOSCard. I was able to boot without the utility this time. I did a low level reformat on the card to help eosm1986 get ML working. Basically I was able to simply put the files on the freshly formatted card and do a firmware update like that. That being said, I had run the MacBoot variant of the EOSCard utility before on the card.

Another question for you: does it work with the ML bootflag off? update firmware again and when the "success" screen comes up change the camera mode dial to disable the bootflag, then reboot the camera. just curious

jerrykil

http://www.bot-fly.com/tragiclatern_eosm202_sept4.zip
this is directly from my card
the guys have done a lot today, actually, so there are some ettr and other updates that are not found in that build.
that file does include the .fir file
1% is still making changes.
thank you for spending your sunday on ML
respec' :P

jerrykil

Quote from: gary2013 on September 08, 2013, 09:06:13 PM
what is eosm1986?

(s)he's a new user who couldn't get EOSCard to work for him, so he did without

Malakai

same here with new card and not using eoscard. Hopefully one of the devs can figure this out. Being as we now have one confirmed working 18-55mm efm. Im guessing its just a case of find out whats happening differently thats causing the bug.

jerrykil

i take lens off when i do initial install, or i have my 22mm on normally

jerrykil

Hah!
well this is interesting. I got the bug now. I have a before and after DM. unfortunately the first DM was from a diff firmware, but hopefully not entirely useless. I have no idea how to do a meaningful 'diff' on these logs.

this is probably useless but here are the two files

http://www.bot-fly.com/DM_good.LOG
http://www.bot-fly.com/DM_bad.LOG

edit: putting the files from
http://www.bot-fly.com/tragiclatern_eosm202_sept4.zip
seems to have fixed it for now

EDIT again:

I reuploaded the two log files. one log from TL built just moments ago, the other log from build a few days ago on sep. 4th.

Gary or malakai, when you turn on the dual_iso module does your shutter work? I found i was able to get shutter to work with the module on. i am taking the battery out between reboots to make sure its not the quick reboot. Even when the module is loaded and not enabled, i am able to fire shutter

jerrykil

gary,
just to make sure. you do ahve to reboot now when you load modules and you have to have "autoload modules on startup" on. you do have the option in your ML camera menu, right?

1%

I do notice a difference, in the good log this doesn't show up.

IDLEHandler PRESS_SW1_BUTTON
fssSW1On
GetAloAndPsAutoTarget
GetLvUsedInfo
[AEWB] aewbColorCalcResponse
SCN :IconType 0 [0] [0] [0]
evfChangeHdInterrupt
Af_StopPath
Af_StopPath Complete

SW1 is the shutter press.

jerrykil

gary or malakai, does that show up in your DM's?

my latest logs of today's build also don't have any mention of SW1 and the bug is not there anymore. i did a clean install with the latest build including a clean format to rule out any config file differences.

jerrykil

Gary,
its weird but oyu have to turn it on, then give it a minute or so and then turn it off by just going to the menu again and selecting DM Log again. i always get the same file size: 2097151 bytes. curious to see if your log looks like this or if ur problem is something else (that would suck)

maxotics

I posted a recent EOS-M video and comments under the "Share Videos" section.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8171.new#new

zuzukasuma

I don't know have you realized or not but, dual ISO files are bigger than normal RAWs and EOS M can still kick 6-7 RAWs at burst.

avg dual iso file is 24MB x 7 ~ 168 MB ( I know it also directly writes files to card) but how much do we have with multi shot NR mode?
in a complicated relationship with eos m.

zuzukasuma

Quote from: Rewind on September 07, 2013, 09:25:06 PM
Well, I don't know what exactly happened, because i don't have a EOS-M and i don't know, how it was organized earlier. I just picked up your raw file, and reconstruct the pixel map from it, here it is. Then I just corrected the dot data file to correspond the locations from this chart.
It was not so difficult due to i've done it already for my 650D, but to read someone else's code is a real pain you know ))

do you have a solution on PDR for Dual ISO AF pixel removal?
in a complicated relationship with eos m.