Canon 80D

Started by ariznaf, June 02, 2016, 09:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

kitor

After a quick test I have a bad stub or two (tasks view doesn't display names properly[1], in LV our menu closes almost instantly[2]), other than that seems on par with 750D.
That was a quick (< 3 hour) job after i learned how to use Ghidra Version Tracking, thanks to @reyalp.

Ok, it took a week prior to that as I took the opportunity to create a proper loader script for Ghidra that should improve ghidra project quality a lot. More on that later.

E:
[1] Turns out one of task related structs is different.
[2] Fixed, wrong Canon dialog used in background.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R or RP mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

Theta Sigma

Thanks for your work. I look forward to more posts about 80D ML development. :)

mcortes

Kitor thank you so much. I'm very excited to see this and can't wait to get some more life from my old canon 80d.

chchrlam

Thanks Kitor. Looking forward to your next post.

papajo

Quote from: kitor on April 27, 2023, 08:16:41 AM

After a quick test I have a bad stub or two (tasks view doesn't display names properly[1], in LV our menu closes almost instantly[2]), other than that seems on par with 750D.
That was a quick (< 3 hour) job after i learned how to use Ghidra Version Tracking, thanks to @reyalp.

Ok, it took a week prior to that as I took the opportunity to create a proper loader script for Ghidra that should improve ghidra project quality a lot. More on that later.

E:
[1] Turns out one of task related structs is different.
[2] Fixed, wrong Canon dialog used in background.

Hi Kitor I bought a Canon 80D back when it was newly released and anxiously waited for years for a magic lantern version for my camera the years passed by and nothing but I am still using my 80D

And apparently so are other people too

When I first saw your posts about trying out the firmware on the 80D I was happy like as if I was a child on Christmas  :D

But a year has passed and no new posts on the subject from you or any other dev

So I went to discord and asked about it and they told me that there never will be a 80D version of magic lantern

And I wonder if this is true or if you just don't had the time to finish your work but plan to eventually

Could you please update us of your intentions about the 80D firmware ?

Also is the 80D for some reason (if so which ? ) hard to "crack" and put magic lantern on it? I am asking because I think quite a few models got magic lantern a lot sooner than 80D
And 80D is a really good camera for both amateurs and even professionals (aside it not being FF ) so I can't see why it's so much neglected.. :(

kitor

Quote from: papajo on April 28, 2024, 08:22:05 PMSo I went to discord and asked about it and they told me that there never will be a 80D version of magic lantern

Who said that?

Quote from: papajo on April 28, 2024, 08:22:05 PMCould you please update us of your intentions about the 80D firmware ?
There are no intentions. Digic 6 is just hard to get working due to its unique design. It is just easier in later models running Digic 7 and 8.
Remember this is just a hobby project of a few people. We work on it when we feel like it, and work on what we want. I have a pile of 10+ Canon cameras and tbh I favour EOS R as it was my re-entry into Canon ecosystem - and also my entry into Magic Lantern / camera hacking world.

Quote from: papajo on April 28, 2024, 08:22:05 PMI think quite a few models got magic lantern a lot sooner than 80D

Then you are wrong - right now they exist just two "builds" of Magic Lantern for newer models: one for EOS M50 - which does nothing except card benchmark. And one for 200d which also doesn't have almost any features - it was released as a proof of concept that project is still alive.

I think you should get familiar with Current state of Magic Lantern project. This will answer many of your questions.

Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R or RP mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: kitor on April 30, 2024, 10:11:42 PMWho said that?

Well, if taken literally: You. https://discord.com/channels/671072748985909258/844581352082898975/1206757404230942721

Let's taken it for granted papajo is not accustomed dealing with questions to engineers/programmers and mind set embedded in their answers. ;-)