Getting Over 4GB on 600D (sorry another post on this)

Started by engelba, April 09, 2015, 04:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

engelba

Sorry for yet another post on this topic.... I have tried searching and reading all over the place for hours with no help.

So I've read tons and tons of stuff on the 4GB & 29:59 record limit in movie mode with ML (H.264).

From what I've read, the 29:59 limit cannot be overcome... fine, no problem there.

I read in several different places that all you need to do to overcome the 4GB limit is to format the card in ex-fat. I went through all the steps, it is formatted in ex-fat and ML is running just fine on it.

However in testing, the camera still quits after about 12 minutes and a 4GB .mov file. This is straight recording in H.264 (well, I am using ML's CBR of 1.5 with audio disabled). I am running a fairly recent nightly build (end of march 2015).

Seems I am still hitting the 4GB file limit, what could I be doing wrong? Is there a setting somewhere I need to set?

Or am I misunderstanding the whole thing? You are always limited to 4GB but could record up 29:59 if you set your bit rate very low.

Thanks for any help

Frank7D

Walter Schulz

600D does support ExFAT but Canon won't do files > 4GB for H.264 movies at all. For other cam's Canon implemented splitting: If record hits 4 GB file is closed and an additional file will be generated. Haven't found dropped frames for those splitted records.
Not 600D: Hit 4 GB and H.264 record stops.
29:59 limit in H.264 (if any) applies to all ML supported cams.

Engelba: Open Movie tab -> Movie Tweaks and set "Movie Restart" ON. Hope it works on 600D, too. You will have frames dropped, though. About 1/2 second will be missed.

engelba

So recording raw does not have this problem? I realize will have to record in a lower res due to 20MB/sec limit of the SD card writer, it would be nice have it go for 30 minutes.