ML 2.3 on exfat on 60D

Started by kcleung, March 30, 2013, 10:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcleung

I am testing the ability to record >4GB videos, so I need to put ML on exfat-formatted cards.

I tried to unzip all files onto my exfat-formatted card, but it does not work on my 60D.

How can I get ML 2.3 working on exfat-formatted cards?  The 60D has previously worked with other ML cards with fat32

kcleung

Quote from: kcleung on March 30, 2013, 10:45:18 AM
I am testing the ability to record >4GB videos, so I need to put ML on exfat-formatted cards.

I tried to unzip all files onto my exfat-formatted card, but it does not work on my 60D.

How can I get ML 2.3 working on exfat-formatted cards?  The 60D has previously worked with other ML cards with fat32

I tried the solution at:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1232870

but when I boot the camera, go to the menu and select "updated firmware", it says "update file cannot be found, please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again"

So is this special exfat-enabled autoexec.bin only for 600D, and not for other cameras?

1%

kcleung

Quote from: 1% on March 30, 2013, 11:11:27 AM
You're going to have to add it for 60D. That's just for 600D.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4808.msg29735;topicseen#msg29735

Here I don't mean the >4GB recording support.  I just try to get ML 2.3 working on exfat.

Do you mean ML 2.3 exfat support only exist on 600D? 

a1ex

When all else fails, read the manual ;)

kcleung

Quote from: a1ex on March 30, 2013, 11:47:50 AM
When all else fails, read the manual ;)

The manual just says run make-bootable.sh (that uses exfat_sum), but the scripts claims that I haven't formatted in exfat format, despite  I followed the instructions to format in exfat and with label of EOS_DIGITAL :(

a1ex

1%

To get exfat working on a <=32gb card, format it to exfat in windows. Then make it bootable with eoscard just like any other SD. Those scripts aren't the best.

kcleung

Quote from: a1ex on March 30, 2013, 11:56:37 AM
Can't help you unless you read this: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

My computer has Ubuntu 12.04 amd64 installed, with the ML from:

hg clone https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/

on the unified branch.

Then I formatted my Apacer class 10 16GB SDHC card to the exfat format with the label "EOS_DIGITAL"

Then I go to:

magic-lantern/contrib/make-bootable

and I run:

make exfat_sum

to create the executable

Then I followed the instructions in INSTALL.pdf in the ML 2.3 zip file and run

sudo ./make_bootable.sh

However the scripts apparently fails to recognize the partition as exfat

abc@abc-desktop:~/hg/magic-lantern/contrib/make-bootable$ sudo ./make_bootable.sh
+ dump_file=exfat_dump.bin
+ [[ linux-gnu == darwin* ]]
+ [[ linux-gnu == linux* ]]
+ UNMOUNT=umount
++ mount
++ grep EOS_DIGITAL
++ awk '{print $1}'
+ dev=/dev/sdc1
+ '[' x/dev/sdc1 = x ']'
+ echo 'Found /dev/sdc1'
Found /dev/sdc1
++ id -u
+ '[' 0 '!=' 0 ']'
+ umount /dev/sdc1
++ dd if=/dev/sdc1 bs=1 skip=3 count=8
+ DEV64='EXFAT   '
++ dd if=/dev/sdc1 bs=1 skip=82 count=8
+ DEV32=$'\020\030'
++ dd if=/dev/sdc1 bs=1 skip=54 count=8
+ DEV16=
+ '[' '' '!=' 'FAT16   ' -a $'\020\030' '!=' 'FAT32   ' -a '' '!=' 'EXFAT   ' ']'
+ echo 'Error: /dev/sdc1 is not a FAT16, FAT32 of EXFAT device'
Error: /dev/sdc1 is not a FAT16, FAT32 of EXFAT device
+ echo 'Format your card in camera before using this script'
Format your card in camera before using this script
+ echo debug /dev/sdc1 $'\020\030'
debug /dev/sdc1 
+ exit
abc@abc-desktop:~/hg/magic-lantern/contrib/make-bootable$

Initially, I formatted the card with OS X 10.8 on my macbook, then I repeated the above procedure by formatting the card with Ubuntu 12.04 amd64, but with no luck :(

Also in INSTALL.pdf from ML-2.3, it just say prepare the exfat card with make-bootable.sh, however should this be done before, or after unzipping ML-2.3 zip file onto the card?  I am really confused.......

Quote from: 1% on March 31, 2013, 12:35:27 AM
To get exfat working on a <=32gb card, format it to exfat in windows. Then make it bootable with eoscard just like any other SD. Those scripts aren't the best.

Have anyone tried to format the exfat card on OS X 10.8 or ubuntu 12.04 using exfat-utils 0.9.5?

kcleung

Quote from: 1% on March 31, 2013, 12:35:27 AM

Thanks!  I have just manage to get my 16GB exfat card working on ML 2.3

The procedure I used was:

1. format the card in exfat with Windows 7
2. run EOScard 1.2 with EOS_DEVELOP and BOOTDISK strings checked on the card
3. unzip ML 2.3 onto the card

The card now works.  However on my 60D, the recording still stops at 4GB, although I will talk about this problem on the development thread :)

By the way, are there ways to get the algorithm used in the EOScard 1.2, so that one can implement an open-source software on Linux that can do this job to make the card ML and CHDK bootable on any exfat card regardless of size?

Datadogie

I need to try this. But I assume that we need to delete the movies and photos opposed to formatting the card in camera.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.