Consequences of the Canon T3i / 600D Lenght Recording Limit Hack

Started by fiso85, November 09, 2013, 01:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiso85

Hello,
First of all thanks for the amount of work done to Magic Lantern.

I will try to explain this topic in details so that anyone could understand my question bellow:

Goal:
I want to use the T3i to record Full-HD 1920x1080 videos (not RAW) with 45min to 1:30h in lenght. I know that some people would recommend me to buy a camcorder but to have this quality of image on a camcorder it would cost me a lot of money so I've chose the T3i. 

After research on forums and googling I did understand that this camera has three things affecting it's recording limit:
1) The FAT filesize limit (4gb) – That can be improved to 16gb using Tragic Lantern.

2) The 29:59 time recording limit - That is due to the fact that some countries would consider T3i as a camcorder and TAX it higher – I haven't found anything removing this limit but I could use Magic Lantern to auto-restart the recording (loosing 2 seconds on the break) and that would be fine for me.

3) The battery capacity (1h) - That can be improved to 2hr by a battery grip.

This is the my question:
I have read that shooting this length of video continuously would overheat the camera or damage it's sensor. Does it have any sense? This limit is related to legal/tax issues or it's a tech prevention? Should I worry about that?

Thanks in advance,
Felipe

1%

It will pop the canon heat warning up if there is a problem.