5D Mark 3 - silent picture problems

Started by tobi_ml, October 27, 2013, 10:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tobi_ml

First of all, because this is my first posted topic, a 'Hello' to the community, I use ML since almost 2 years now. After my 600D / T3i crashed I upgraded to the 5D Mark III and I am now using ML (nightly built 20. Oct) since one week on it.

I am shooting a lot of timelapses and so I am very happy about the "silent picture" mode. Today I realised, that (the same in every mode) I can't expose longer than 1/24 second, which is far shorter than the Canon standard with 30 seconds. So I need to go back from LiveView to the canon menu to change the exposure from e.g. 2" to 3,2" and then go back to LiveView.
Is there another option, is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?

The second thing I realised is that the aperture is not simulated in the LiveView. I know that I can set the aperture in the Expo-Tab, but is there any option, that the aperture is automatically set (like shutter priority) in LiveView?

Thanks for your answers and thanks to the developers for this great pice of software :)

a1ex

How do you expose for 3 seconds when LiveView refreshes at 30 fps?

a) break some physics laws
b) believe everything that's printed on the camera screen
c) average 90 pics at 1/30
d) use FPS override

QuoteI use ML since almost 2 years now
So I need to go back from LiveView to the canon menu to change the exposure from e.g. 2" to 3,2" and then go back to LiveView.

I can't believe this.

tobi_ml

Dear Alex,
thanks for clarifying that, I thought, because the expo simulation changes after changing in the Canon menu and ML is also showing 3"2 in the overlay, that this would maybe have an effect...
I thought maybe ML would mathematically add a following frame to the first frame (1/30+1/30) which would realise a theoretical 1/15th exposure and so on.
Is this the way its done if I enable FPS override? Does FPS override give the LiveView really a longer exposure time on the sensor and thus more light and allowing to use a lower Iso (or is it just mathematically "faking" a longer exposure)?
Is this (FPS override) the best option for long exposure night timelapses with silent image?
Thanks so much for your effort!

BTW. I am really using it since 2 years, but until now just the basic functions like focus points or zebra.

tobi_ml

Thank you for that hint, but it is still pity that you can not expose longer than 1 sec...

a13x

try set fps override to 0.25 and take pic every 4 sec.
shutter time will must be 4 sec.
etc...