DNG Image Problem - Shifted Horizontal Lines w/ alt exposure

Started by CS Hunter, January 02, 2016, 09:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CS Hunter

DNG Problem: Sheared horizontal blocks on my DNG's.

Not every MLV but almost half of all my shots out of 40 yesterday had this issue apparent in the DNG's. I converted MLV with RAWMagic to DNG and viewed DNGs in Lightroom.
On some vids about every third frame was shifting large chunks of the image horizontally by maybe 20 to 40 pixels, so a section of the image was misaligned and the shifted section often had a slightly different exposure (brightness). Shift lines often occurred at 1/3rd or 2/3rd vertical heights in image.

I'm shooting ML 11-15-2015 on Canon 5D MKII with Komputer Bay 64gb 1066x card, 35mm IS lens on a small shoulder rig. Memory card is relatively new, used on 3, maybe 5 test shoots.
I've had several successful days of shooting with this setup and no such issue, but yesterday it was intermittent. I captured several good shots without this issue but the other half of my vids are no good due to this problem..?

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this or knows what causes this problem and how to fix / prevent it?

dmilligan

RAWMagic is banned here for GPL violations. Use a different converter and if there is still a problem, upload a sample DNG.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=54.0

Walter Schulz

Converter used is?
As dmilligan said: If those samples have been processed with RAWmagic you won't get support here. Its banned: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13335.0

reddeercity

DNG please , just link to a dropbox or even a small .mlv or .raw
What are your Camera Setting ?
What was the Frame rate , .mlv or .raw etc....
I used to see this problem on my 5D2 back about a year and half ago
with hdmi was first introduce. But not since then.
Did you use any " Auto" feature e.g. (auto iso) or (ETTR) ?
What Frame Resolution did you use ?

FYI: In 1:1 mode , Maximum continuous stable resolution for the 5d2 is 1856x928 @23.796p+Audio & HDMI enabled
with the .mlv format write speed is 68MB/s. (with the latest nightly builds)
The older format .raw has higher frame resolution as it doesn't have to write metadata or Audio.
So you can get up to 1856x1004 @23.976p write speed is about 74.0MB/s

3x crop mode with .mlv format Maximum continuous stable resolution for the 5d2 is 2048x872 @23.976p+ audio(72MB/s)
and in .raw is 2048x930 @23.976p (78MB/s)

Also do a CF card benchmark test in camera , look in the ML menu you may have a bad card should be about 75-80MB/s+ write
Since you are on a Mac system Try a different convertor , I mainly use MLVFS it up to date & has the latest fixes.

CS Hunter

Thank you for the info and feedback @dmilligan @Walter Svhultz I've used several converters. While trouble shooting multiple things in I was trying that mentioned converter because I thought it may be the most tested, proven and stable based on the fact I had to buy it. I know about and understand the GPL violation stuff now, not cool. What is your preferred converter? This is not a converter issue however as I got same results from another converter that I had deleted to try new ones.

Thanks @reddeercity for the feedback. My camera settings from what I recall were M SS-50, Aper-3.5 or 4.0, ISO 100, MLRAW at 23.976 fps, ML setup as suggested in ML doc. No auto feature, no ETTR. The frame resolution I forget right now but it's just under 1920 x 1080. Whatever ML max is. I had to scale up 103.5% to hit full HD. I had anew Ikan DH5 HDMI monitor plugged in (HDMI monitor a new addition but I've gotten good results with it in previous tests).

I will try your suggested CF card benchmark. I have a hunch it may have been my card, although it's a new card and should be good. I had deleted multiple Gigs of previous successful tests from my iMac. I deleted CF card files on iMac and did not use the format card on the 5D from the Canon menu as I do now, so some garbage data may have still been on the card slowing it down causing it to lag and glitch? Does that sound like a possibility to you?

reddeercity

Quote from: CS Hunter on January 05, 2016, 09:14:53 PMI had deleted multiple Gigs of previous successful tests from my iMac. I deleted CF card files on iMac and did not use the format card on the 5D from the Canon menu as I do now, so some garbage data may have still been on the card slowing it down causing it to lag and glitch Does that sound like a possibility to you?

Could be a issue yes , but I haven't had to reformat my cards for 6+ months . The only issue I see is after deleting files off the CF card thought a usb3.0 reader or in Camera (I do this on my PC laptop) I notice that the card becomes very fragmented (15-25%) that when I notice dropped frames so on the pc I re-align or do a Defragmentation  with the hard drive tools with windows. I would image you could do the something in Mac and the speed always return .
Quote from: CS Hunter on January 05, 2016, 09:14:53 PM
Thanks @reddeercity for the feedback. My camera settings from what I recall were M SS-50, Aper-3.5 or 4.0, ISO 100, MLRAW at 23.976 fps. I had anew Ikan DH5 HDMI monitor plugged in (HDMI monitor a new addition but I've gotten good results with it in previous tests).

If I read this right you are using .raw 1st gen. format right ?
It so you problem from my experience is using HDMI with .raw format , it dose work ok but if your card was a little glitchy or slow it could cause this problem & on occasion would throw
error code 70 and lockup the Liveview so you have to pull the battery. I found the only way I could minimize this problem is to bootup the Camera with the HDMI plugged in Or still what better yet is to use MLV format . It's really design to has Support for HDMI , Audio & the most important thing "TimeCode" which the monitor is looking for even thou it can work in "FreeRun" mode.

You must remember the over head needed for HDMI , I think its about 5-10 MB/s over & above the data for raw , in this case if you used 1856x1004(74MB/s) or 1856x1044(78MB/s)
1004 is just on the fine line when you add the HDMI over head.
On a 5D2 the max write speed is no more then 80-82MB/s (limitation on the controller) so you need to maintain a consent 78 MB/s write and than sometimes is hard to do specially when the camera heats up.
For this reasons I use MLV format 90% of the time , I never had a lockup with MLV+HDMI+audio , granted I have to use a smaller frame size in my case(older nightly build I like) (1872x936 2:1 A.R.)+Audio with either a monitor  Zacuto Z-EVF & or Atoms Ninja HD recorder. I see max. write speeds of 68-72MB/s in this configuration and hardly ever heats up pass 63 degrees C .
Hope this helps

CS Hunter

@reddeercity I'm using the new generation MLV with audio, a nightly build I installed in late Nov. 2015, not using the first generation raw.

Great info. Thank you. I don't have my camera with me now but I will look closer into my settings to try and find and maintain that max write speed. Where do you find your max write speeds of 68-77MB/s? I'm still new to this and I will look for this write speed info in my setup but if you don't mind, where can I expect to find this data to see what write speeds I'm getting?

reddeercity

@CS Hunter, Look at the Lower left hand corner the Yellow Text ,

1856x928 @68.9MB/s

IMG_1351
by RedDeerCityTV, on Flickr

1856x1004 @ 74.5MB/s

IMG_1357

1872x936 @ 70.1MB/s

IMG_1347

This is in 3x crop mode , and I get about 20-30 second @ 2k 

So when you select your frame rate that number in the lower left will change .

CS Hunter

Great. It's right there. I've seen this data and I'll pay more attention to the MB/s numbers on my next shoot. Thank you for informing me of the 5D 80-82 limit, I was unaware. This should definitely help.

I'm wondering 2 things now.., how much MB/s is audio? and if I plug my H4N audio recorder into 5D2 I assume it's the same MB/s cost as the onboard sound? or more? I haven't run my H4N thru 5D yet but I had that on a to do list. If I can save MB/s by not capturing audio on 5D in order to gain image resolution MB/s I will.

CS Hunter

I finally had time this morning to look at my 5D2ML settings for these images @reddeercity. Turns out I was set to: Resolution 1824x1026. Aspect Ratio 16:9 + audio + HDMI out. So based on your information it appears I may have peen pushing the MB/s beyond what the 5D2 can do. Thanks again. I'm looking forward to trying new settings today, getting this all worked out and capturing good imagery.