What is the feature "Raw" exactly recorded ?

Started by MerlinK1X, March 09, 2014, 05:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MerlinK1X

Hello,
I would use this feature on my 5DMk2 for scientific purpose (astronomy) and I need to exactly understand what is recorded.
1) a raw picture has 5616 x 3744 pixels. A video frame has 1920x1080 pixels
       I have understood that in video onmy 1/3 lines is read.
       Nevertheless how do we pass from 5616 pixels per line to 1920 pixels and from 1280 lines (3744/3) to 1080 ?
2) which information is recorded for a pixel ?
       Is it, like in photo raw mode, the real raw information get, for this pixel, from the sensor ?
       or is it a pseudo-raw information after some interpolation on top the one get from the sensor ?

Thanks before hand for your help

chmee

* generally the whole sensor is used. no crop.
* 5D2 recalculates the whole width to fullHD, yes. dividing by ~2.92.
* and because sensor has 3/2 size (and video in general 16/9) it just uses ~3154px height.
* there are a lot of discussions, what algorithm is used in video (and sraw-cr2), pixel-binning or line-skipping
* therefore the 5DIII's got 3 times fullhd width (5760/3 =1920) - easier to recalculate and less artefacts of recalculations
* in normal (full sensor) videomode you got all these things.

* in ml-crop-modes you use native pixels/sensels as output.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=4213.0

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

MerlinK1X

Thanks Chmee,

How can we activate the "crop-modes" ? I don't see it in the feature list

Regards
Merlin

chmee

[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

reddeercity

For the 5D Mark 2, Just press the zoom in Button, It's the 3rd(last) button on the upper right hand side has a little blue + sign
Press that once now you are in Crop mode you may see a 5x on the Live view LCD screen.
Now press the delete or trash can button and go back in to the ML Raw/MLV Record Menu,
and now you will have access to Frames sizes up to 2152x1076 2:1 (Max.). (This size is with Oct24th/2013 build from a.d.)
Make sure you have FPS Frame Over Ride enable to Exact 23.976 fps.
If not, in Crop mode it will default back to 30p fps, not matter what frame rate you setup in the Canon menu.
This is the correct procedure for the 5D Mark 2, the video above is for the 5D Mark 3 and differs slightly.

Make sure to use at lest a 1000x CF card for stable raw recording, that's minimum recommended speed for the 5d2

MerlinK1X

Hello,

After to have updated (with many difficulties) my firmware with the last Beta release available (previously I had V2.3 stable release) and follow your process, I was be able to set the crop mode and record real raw video (I have not finished my tests but it's sound good).

Many thanks for your help
Merlin

reddeercity