Recent posts

Quote from: reddeercity on April 22, 2024, 07:53:10 AMThe question I ask is, is this useful ? Or just a novelty say i can do xxfps

Hi. Yes, any 50/60 FPS mode will be useful even with 720p, because we can then upscale it using AI and sell on stocks.
I tried 48fps but it worked just a pair of times for me. So I often use regular RAW video with Dual ISO or crop_mod 5x 3.5K preset. Sometimes it even works with Dual ISO on low resolutions like about 1200 wide.

I'm using the latest experimental build I found here in topics, and it has an issue with DualISO - I have bad horizontal stripes pattern that ruins video quality in post. Also in the crop mode there is a slight patter like on a bath towel (little squares). For the latter I use AI to get rid of, but the Dual ISO bug is concerning.
Anyone else encountered this before?

With aggressive bad pixels fix it is clearly visible.

P.S. Lokks like image posting is not working, I'll leave screenshots URLs here:
https://prnt.sc/AYwQfZ1ls0_y
https://prnt.sc/-isFpfLHQvrg

Raw Video Postprocessing / Re: MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on ...
Last post by vastunghia - Yesterday at 11:46:04 PM
Never mind, I just realized that I should try cedricp's fork. Will test in the w/e. Mmh, nah. Don't think that's the point.
Last post by vastunghia - Yesterday at 10:22:00 PM
Thanks n_a_h.

So at the end of the day it looks to me as this should be even much simpler than that. I already verified that, by just replacing

for (int i = 0; i < frame_count; i++)
   sprintf(filename, "%s_%06d.dng", mlv_basename, i);
   filler(buf, filename, NULL, 0);
}

with

for (int i = 0; i < frame_count; i = i+2)
{
   sprintf(filename, "%s_%06d.dng", mlv_basename, i/2);
   filler(buf, filename, NULL, 0);
}

in the mlvfs_readdir() function of main.c, I get half the frames in the directory. Then I think that the function get_mlv_frame_number(), that returns frame number from the filename, can be easily hacked too. And then there I will need to understand how to tweak reported fps.

However, I realized that even leaving the code untouched, the MLVFS I can compile produces corrupted DNG frames. The only changes I was forced to do are related to FUSE (basically OSXFUSE.framework having been rebranded to macFUSE.framework somewhere in the past 8 years and FUSE header path having been moved from /usr/local/include/osxfuse/fuse to /usr/local/include/fuse).

Any clue? Anybody could successfully build a working MLVFUSE recently?
Camera-specific Development / Re: 200D shoots raw video
Last post by kitor - May 15, 2024, 05:25:25 PM
Won't happen. M100 runs PowerShot firmware flavour - thus it is CHDK target.
Camera-specific Development / Re: 200D shoots raw video
Last post by falcon - May 15, 2024, 05:21:21 PM
How close a relative is M100? If something happens, will it be an easy port?
Quicker: taking less than 8 years :)

Having never looked at the MLVFS code, and never worked with FUSE either, I can only wildly speculate.  I assume MLVFS translates accesses to the MLV file, by indexing within the file to know where each frame is, checking what's being accessed, and turning that frame into DNG (or whatever, I've never used it).

So, assuming I'm guessing right, somewhere in there it maps access location to frame.  You'd want to change that mapping so accesses to frames 1 or 2 returned the data of the dng generated for 1, and you'd want to ensure there's caching.  I'd guess the FUSE layer does caching for you.

For example, if we pretend frames are at even 1000 byte offsets, and that 1000 bytes of MLV frame turns into 1000 bytes of DNG, reads from offset 10 and offset 1010 into the MLV should both return the data offset by 10 in the DNG generated for the first frame.
Last post by vastunghia - May 14, 2024, 10:27:55 PM
Define 'quicker'

Anyway I might have some spare time when my sons are grown up, that will happen in a few years, will look into that then and let you know how it goes ;D

Apart from jokes, I took some C/C++ courses back at uni some 20 years ago and have been using Python for scientific programming for work since then. If somebody could at least give me a hint at where to start looking, and for what to look, I would even give it a shot.
Nobody wanted to do it in the last 8 years.  I think it will be quicker if you learn how yourself.  No harm asking, of course.
Last post by vastunghia - May 14, 2024, 09:22:43 PM
I was expecting this objection ;)

My only hope is that 1. this new feature is not so difficult to implement (and it does not sound so), 2. some guy smarter than me at reading code is experiencing my same issue, and 3. he/she will read this post and think "Dang! Good idea! Let me implement this!"