Question on Swapping SD Cards; one with ML; one without.

Started by jeffweiss9, June 02, 2014, 01:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffweiss9

Hi,-
I've just succeeded in getting ML loaded and working with my Canon EOS M  and the EF-M 22mm f/2.0 lens for nightscape photography.  Works great, thanks very much all you guys working on this.  However, my other lens is the 18-55mm f3.5 ISM lens which I understand has the "shutter bug" and which, in any case, I don't need ML (at least at this point) which is good because of the bug with ISM cameras. MY QUESTION IS:  Can I just swap SD cards; one with ML installed, the other without, or do I need to uninstall ML on the chip that has it before swapping????   I don't want to turn my EOS M into a brick, so I would love to get an answer to this question before actually trying it.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

jeffweiss9

Thank you but I don't think that was my question.  I have read the User Guide on how to uninstall ML from the EOSM.  But I don't really want to do that.  What I would like to do is keep one SD card for use with my 22mm f/2.0 lens with ML permanently installed on it and when I swap lenses to the 18-55mm f/3.5 lens, also swap SD cards to a different SD card that has never had ML installed on it.  So my question is can I do that, or is there something permanently installed in the EOSM memory that requires me to UNINSTALL ML, before changing SD cards to another that does not have ML installed on it?

Thanks again.
-Jeff

jeffweiss9

Thanks, Walter.
Again I've searched that link without finding the answer to whether I can safely switch cards; one with ML; one without.   I know about powering up with the set button pushed so ML doesn't load, which is the closest thing I could find on that link (except that did NOT work on my EOS M). 
-Jeff

I bravely went ahead and just swapped cards along with the lens (ML doesn't work, I understand,due to shutter bug with ISM lenses) and everything seems to work fine.  No brick. Phew.

dfort

Hi Jeff,

Frustrating, isn't it? I'm an EOS M user with that same 18-55mm lens and never had a terrible experience with ML. I don't think I ever encountered the dreaded shutter bug.  Sure, once in a while I had to pull the battery when I first started out but it has been very stable these past several weeks. If ML gives you too much trouble then sure, carry a card w/o ML but if it isn't broken, why fix it?

Dan