ML 2.3 fir File Not Being Recognized When Trying to Install to 550d (T2i)

Started by RPriest, August 28, 2012, 09:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPriest

I've had no problems upgrading 2 of my 60d's from the 2011 Christmas version to the latest 2.3 version.  However, a friend has been trying to update her 550D (T2i) from the later version to 2.3 and after insuring Canon firmware version 1.0.9 is installed (and after reinstalling Canon 1.0.9) when trying to install ML 2.3, the camera does not recognize the ML fir file on the card.  The Firmware update screen says: Memory card containing firmware is required to update. Her only option is to tap on the ok button.

She even went and purchased a new card and transferred ML 2.3 files to the card but now ML does not show up as being on the card.

A side note:  Initially, the first time she attempted to update her camera, she WAS in fact able to install ML 2.3 on the camera/card but she had both versions of ML on the card (v. 2.2 and 2.3) and I told her that she just needs one version. That's when she reformatted the old card, and put the v 2.3 files only on the card and hasn't been able to get it to work since.

Lupo

Hi RPriest

Are you unzipping ALL the files into your card?

Try to update the firmware, even if you already have the 1.0.9 version.
EOS T2i & EOS 5D Mark III
Lens Canon EF-S 18-55 f/3,5-5,6; Canon EF 50 f/1,8; Cosina 28-210 f/3,5-5,6; Canon EF 75-300 f/4-5,6; Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3,5-4,5; Samyang 14 f/2,8; Tamron SP 24-70 f/2,8; Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II

RPriest

Yes, thanks for your reply, but as I had stated above, this has been done. More than once the latest Canon 1.0.9 firmware has been re-downloaded and re-installed. She is not getting errors, or a black screen when trying to install ML, the camera is simply not recognizing that there is a firmware file on the card to accomplish the firmware update.  Again, she's getting the camera prompt that a firmware file must be on the card to do an update (or whatever the actual wording is) Its like the camera is not seeing the ML files on the card at all. 

Yet, she can use the camera, format the card if she wants, shoot video etc.

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

RPriest

Problem solved, operator error. My friend was copying the folder with all of the unzipped ML files over to the card, and not putting the files on the root folder of the card.  No wonder the camera couldn't see the firmware.  Thanks for your help!

eyeoftheabyss

What is the root of the card vs just copying all the files onto the card?

RPriest

She copied the ML folder to the card, versus copying the files to the card.